Quake is 12 years old

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:42 am

I worked in a college at the time and remember setting up an old server machine as a quake server, we had people from all over the college (four main sites spread over a 2'ish mile radius) all playing through the college network LOL

It was Christmas holidays time ;)

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 am

First played it in work. The IT manager set up a copy on the servers and a couple of times a week we would have some fairly insane deathmatches with a whole load of IT guys and various other staff blowing the c**p out of each other as a way of letting off steam. We used to download loads of levels and if there were not enough folks around, fill them with bots using Reaperbot. I seem to remember Belials Cathedral, Ztown and a low gravity level being particular favourites. Ah! I love the sound of nailguns before the pub!
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 am

Nail Guns were my Fave.. feel the pain! :twisted:

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 am

video-gamer-girl wrote:Nail Guns were my Fave.. feel the pain! :twisted:
They chewed bullets like popcorn though, especially the 4 barrelled one :S

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:20 am

Quake 3 was the best game!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:Yeah, but not including the expansion packs, Doom has only had what - Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3? Or am I missing something.
Final Doom? Or is that counted as an expansion?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Doom was the first FPS I ever played in multiplayer mode, with two Amstrad 386SX machines linked through a serial cable.

... I still have one of the machines up in the loft, probably still has Doom on it ;)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Quake 3 Arena covinced me that PCs could compete or exceed performance on consoles. It ran blindingly fast on a Pentium 3 as I recall. The original Unreal was equally as fun and looked great too.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:04 pm

I had Quake on the Sega Saturn back in 1997/98. It was a good conversion in which apparantly, the PSone could not handle the first Quake game on their system while the Sega Saturn could. There was certain scenes in the Saturn version where it was difficult to see ahead due the way the lighting was done on the Saturn version whilst the PC version was alot clearer to see. Gameplay, slightly slow in places, but not bad. Soundtrack wise, more or less the same as the PC version.

Good, but could have been better on the Saturn.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

DanDare

Post by DanDare » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:33 am

I remember downloading the demo (took me a long, long time) and it just blew me away. Everything impressed me and I spent ages just exploring the bit where you select the difficulty level.

As I played through Episode 1 though I got bored of it, though the boss fight was impressive. I deleted the demo and just carried on playing the demo of Alone in the Dark (I tried lots of demos in those days).

Then one day I went to PC World and had some spare money and I didn't see anything I fancied, but I didn't want to leave with the same amount of cash that I walked into the store with so I looked around the shelves and eventually picked up Quake. I can't remember what else was there.

I didn't like the other episodes, and the final boss was a bit boring. But regardless how it played, it was impressive to be in a proper 3D world. I'll always remember it fondly for that. Well, that and the Eraser bots in the low grav level.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:I bought Quake from GAME in 1997. I bought a PC in 1999. That's how much I respected this game. It was a big pack with extra maps and allsorts in one big box.

AND THEN I SOLD IT 2 YEARS LATER!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH111!!!

I wish I still had it....just done a search on eBay and all I can find is Enemy Territory, there's just too much to wade thru.....mind you, I am looking for a replacement for Battlefield 2142, which I have played TO DEATH online....

Worth checking out the id downloads on Steam, loads of extras thrown in, the mega pack i well worth the asking price.

12 sodding years :(

The reason I bought my first pc (if you discount the micros from being pcs), and couldnt believe the pace, or how quickly I got used to the mouse keyboard combo. The cost paled into insignificance though when compared with the cost of Qukae 3 on the DC and Sega's rather pricy online strategy.
Just where is Mickey T?

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Did anyone play the Dreamcast copy? I can't remember what Quake it was but the multiplayer was excellent, it really seemed to suit the controller (for a console version).

IDDQD

Post by IDDQD » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:16 pm

IMO the first Quake is the best Quake game in the series. I loved the dark gothic feel of the game and in some ways preferred it to Doom as it had way more atmoshphere. Then Quake 2 came out and it was a good game but not a patch on the first one as for some reason they went all Sci Fi and ditched the horror theme of the game and have kept the Sci Fi human vs Stroggs! Anybody know why ID ditched the horror theme of the first game?

ravenschamber

Post by ravenschamber » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Damn I'm getting old....

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:42 pm

I here that ravenschamber :?

Saturn Quake FTW! :P :wink: