Dreamcast Region Code?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JesteR

Dreamcast Region Code?

Post by JesteR » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Hello,
I just bought a German Dreamcast on ebay. I was wondering if there is a region code on it. Or can i play US games on it?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:37 pm

You can play DC games from any region with a boot disc. As the DC can boot homebrew from CD-R without chipping, you can download non-commercial boot discs like Utopia and burn it to CD for instant import gaming.

To play imports without a boot disc you need a chipped DC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You can play DC games from any region with a boot disc. As the DC can boot homebrew from CD-R without chipping, you can download non-commercial boot discs like Utopia and burn it to CD for instant import gaming.

Or, indeed, bootleg copies, most of which work fine without the need for boot discs.

But I didn't just say that. :wink: :wink:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 am

Thanks for the answers :).

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:You can play DC games from any region with a boot disc. As the DC can boot homebrew from CD-R without chipping, you can download non-commercial boot discs like Utopia and burn it to CD for instant import gaming.

Or, indeed, bootleg copies, most of which work fine without the need for boot discs.

But I didn't just say that. :wink: :wink:
You know a good website where i can find ISO`s of my originals? All i can find are sites where you have to pay to download.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:19 am

Its a grey area that here my friend, not the best place to ask for a ROM or ISO's.....but my question to you is, why do you want an ISO of a game you already own!?! just create your own, theres more then enough turorials out there for you to do it.

In short Im not going to give you any links but if you google hard enough and know how to use a torrent then you will find everything you need.....so....just crack on with google....
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:29 am

The Utopia boot disk, along with other useful utilities, should be easy enough to find using Google.

mrCustard

Post by mrCustard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Only thing is, if you use a proper VGA box, it can be tricky (or impossible) to get games to boot in VGA mode when you use the Utopia disc.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Theres a patch for Utopia that lets you boot VGA stuff. You have to do the initial boot and disc swap blind which means you've to guess when Utopia has actually finished loading, but that's not so bad for a freebie. Once you swap discs and the game starts the VGA kicks in.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RCduck7

Re: Dreamcast Region Code?

Post by RCduck7 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:25 am

JesteR wrote:Hello,
I just bought a German Dreamcast on ebay. I was wondering if there is a region code on it. Or can i play US games on it?
As with a boot disc, yes.
But if you want to play a game like D2 it comes on 2 discs.
A boot disc won't work anymore to switch between discs.
I modded mine myself, it was relatively easy to do and works perfect for little money.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:44 am

For the most part I don't use my import games - I downloaded rips of them as almost all of those have been tweaked to boot on any DC.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:29 am

RCduck7 wrote:But if you want to play a game like D2 it comes on 2 discs.
D2 is 4 discs.

RCduck7

Post by RCduck7 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:30 am

MikeHaggar wrote:
RCduck7 wrote:But if you want to play a game like D2 it comes on 2 discs.
D2 is 4 discs.
Oops, i should have said multiple discs.
I finished that game but i loose track on how many discs the game is printed. :roll:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Theres a patch for Utopia that lets you boot VGA stuff. You have to do the initial boot and disc swap blind which means you've to guess when Utopia has actually finished loading, but that's not so bad for a freebie. Once you swap discs and the game starts the VGA kicks in.
I seem to remember a boot disk that you run first before using other disks that enables VGA. I think I've used this with things like Utopia to get non-boot games disks to run.

You can also try getting things like the GameShark etc. and booting through them first.

havent used these for a while, so it's all a bit fuzzy, but there isn't much I couldn't get working through VGA, with a bit of disk swapping and trile and error!

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 am

mrCustard wrote:Only thing is, if you use a proper VGA box, it can be tricky (or impossible) to get games to boot in VGA mode when you use the Utopia disc.
I'm 99% certain that that problem is easily solved by just unplugging the vga lead,then switch on and let the console boot the game as normal,and then just plug the vga lead/box back in.
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.