What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:48 pm

C=Style wrote:Still playing a fair bit of Gadget Racers (PS2), am I the only one here who loves this game? It's a really original Car/RPG thing, was called ChoroQ HG3 in Japan. We were pretty lucky to have got a full translation. Even the US didn't get it. If you see it about I recommend you try it out, it's a total gem.
I looked that up after you mentioned it before....it got some awful reviews saying the game was great except for the actual racing which was hopelesly broken.....

Convince me!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Gone back to Guitar Hero 3 for a bit......although I am tiring of it......would anyone recommend I trade it for Rock Band?? And can you get Rock Band with just the guitar and buy the other bits later???

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Winter Heat on the saturn. It's bloody good fun.

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Playing Super Street Fighter 2 on the Virtual Console right now. Lots of fun. Can`t wait for Street Fighter 4.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Samurai shodown. I've finally got better at this game and am now competitive at normal level. Before i could barely win on easy, but something just clicked.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:28 am

bonerlaw wrote:Gone back to Guitar Hero 3 for a bit......although I am tiring of it......would anyone recommend I trade it for Rock Band?? And can you get Rock Band with just the guitar and buy the other bits later???
You can get Rock Band alone, and use the GH3 guitar. Otherwise, you can either buy the drums, or the instrument kit...
And yes, I'd definitely recommend Rock Band. It is easier than GH3, less frustrating, and way more fun in multiplayer. :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:47 am

djcarlos wrote:
C=Style wrote:Still playing a fair bit of Gadget Racers (PS2), am I the only one here who loves this game? It's a really original Car/RPG thing, was called ChoroQ HG3 in Japan. We were pretty lucky to have got a full translation. Even the US didn't get it. If you see it about I recommend you try it out, it's a total gem.
I looked that up after you mentioned it before....it got some awful reviews saying the game was great except for the actual racing which was hopelesly broken.....

Convince me!
OK then if you insist!

Although the game gets off to a pretty dull start as the cars handle like total PIGS to start with, but things do pick up. This is probably where the bad reviews come from (I'm yet to even find a review!) as it takes a little patience to level up. Once you start earning cash you can buy all manner of upgrades to your car which give this game a racing variety that no other game can compare to, it's at this point where the gameplay really opens up. Water races, dirt tracks, tarmac, snow etc with all manner of car add-ons and collectables. I put my mate onto it last week and to quote what he said about it on MSN after spending a few hours with it:

"I honestly think it's one of the best PS2 games I've ever played".

There's a lot to say about it, but if I were you I'd at least try it out as it can be picked up cheap.
:)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Revolt on Dreamcast - really enjoyed this little game, then, at random played Sega GT and wasn't impressed at all - handling was rubbish.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Spooky wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Gone back to Guitar Hero 3 for a bit......although I am tiring of it......would anyone recommend I trade it for Rock Band?? And can you get Rock Band with just the guitar and buy the other bits later???
You can get Rock Band alone, and use the GH3 guitar. Otherwise, you can either buy the drums, or the instrument kit...
And yes, I'd definitely recommend Rock Band. It is easier than GH3, less frustrating, and way more fun in multiplayer. :wink:
So tempted to nab the drums and game, looks so sweet! Whats the single player like?

I've been playing more MGS 4 which keeps getting better and better, as well as finally answering some long outstanding questions.
I've also finally got back to Contra on the Nes and managed not only to win it but to also complete it without continuing :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Contra withou continuing, you have powers I'll never possess, that game is nails!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:40 pm

sscott wrote:Revolt on Dreamcast - really enjoyed this little game, then, at random played Sega GT and wasn't impressed at all - handling was rubbish.
:lol: I'm the opposite, I find Revolt infuratiating, but I liked Sega GT. I agree the handling is weird at first, but once you get used to it, there's so much to the game. :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:52 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:
sscott wrote:Revolt on Dreamcast - really enjoyed this little game, then, at random played Sega GT and wasn't impressed at all - handling was rubbish.
:lol: I'm the opposite, I find Revolt infuratiating, but I liked Sega GT. I agree the handling is weird at first, but once you get used to it, there's so much to the game. :)
will peresevere then, just didn't seem to compare to ferrari f335, msr and sega rally but each to their own!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Gotta say I also found Sega GT to be a big pile of steaming dog poo, but I was put off instantly by the dodgy handling.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:29 pm

sscott wrote:will peresevere then, just didn't seem to compare to ferrari f335, msr and sega rally but each to their own!
Just my opinion, obviously, but I like Sega GT. Everyone knows MSR is great, and the Rally games rule too, but I've always thought F355 is to driving games what VF2 is to fighting games. In other words, they're great games if you're prepared to put in a huge amount of time learning their intricacies, but they're not exactly easily accessible. I doubt I'll ever be able to play F355 without all the driver assist thingies turned off to a decent standard. They're all different kinds of driving games though, and I think Sega GT is worth persevering with. I spent more time playing that than I did Gran Turismo in the end! I never did win that bloody works Supra though! :mad:

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:46 pm

DOH! Just remembered Rock Band isnt out for PS3 yet!

Now playing Super Mario 3 on the Wii. Forgot how ace this game is!!!!!