Official feedback for issue 52

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Official feedback for issue 52

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:36 am

The complete history: The Star Wars saga (part one)
The making of: Star Wars—Mike Hally chats to Darran Jones about the classic vector title
Retroinspection: Amstrad GX4000—Amstrad stamps its place on the console map. The stamp smudges
The making of: King of Kong, Eye of the Beholder trilogy, Klax and Ridge Racer
Plus Streets of Rage 2, Shaq-fu, Spindizzy, Son of Blagger and more!

psj3809 said:

Very happy this arrived this morning. Had a quick flick through, great to see a 2 page spread of a preview of boyo's retro show.

Nice star wars games roundup (part 1), like the 'why you must play' on Escape from the planet of the robot monsters (great game)

Bit confused what the Retro Gamer Collection vol 2 is ? What was vol 1 ? Is this different from the 'best bits of retro gamer' ?

Says its the best games from 1979-2008 so could be a good chunk of retro gamer and some of the latest classics.

And best of all theres some great phone adverts to call in the back ;) (Joking !)

Next months looks cool with Boulderdash

Can we order the retro gamer collection vol 2 from the imagine shop ? Nothing there yet. Just the nearest Smiths to me is milesss away (we live in the country)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:45 am

Just got mine, :) can't wait to read the star wars round-up
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Unofficial feedback for issue 52

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:04 am

psj3809 wrote:Very happy this arrived this morning. Had a quick flick through, great to see a 2 page spread of a preview of boyo's retro show.

Nice star wars games roundup (part 1), like the 'why you must play' on Escape from the planet of the robot monsters (great game)

Bit confused what the Retro Gamer Collection vol 2 is ? What was vol 1 ? Is this different from the 'best bits of retro gamer' ?

Says its the best games from 1979-2008 so could be a good chunk of retro gamer and some of the latest classics.

And best of all theres some great phone adverts to call in the back ;) (Joking !)

Next months looks cool with Boulderdash

Can we order the retro gamer collection vol 2 from the imagine shop ? Nothing there yet. Just the nearest Smiths to me is milesss away (we live in the country)
It's basically the best features from various issues, similar to the original retro gamer vol 1. I'd imagine it will be available to order from the imagine shop on Monday.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:51 am

psj3809 wrote:Next months looks cool with Boulderdash
Having chatted to Peter Liepa and written Retro Gamer's making-of for that game (way back in issue 27, back-issue fans), I'm interested to see what Stu's going to say about the Boulder Dash games. I know his opinions of the series are at odds with my own to some extent, but this is one of the few times where his preference for the Speccy over the hated C64 can't really shine through, since the Speccy conversions of all the BD games are mediocre. Then again, the A-8 original of the first title outshines the C64 one, too.

As for the current issue, I just read most of it in one sitting, and it's a good 'un.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:50 am

Just wanted to thank the RG team:

I woke up this morning with a ranging hang over. Rolled over to discover that the girl I was chatting to in the pub was lying next to me :oops:

I think its fair to say that she didn't look quite as good as she must have last night!!!!

Anyway, was pretty gutted but when she left (without us even speaking) I spotted the mag in my mail box.

So thank you for making my day not so bad after all!!!!!!
:lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:57 am

Ohhh, forgot today was the day.

*runs downstairs to check post*

*Toilet door slams*.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:32 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I know his opinions of the series are at odds with my own to some extent, but this is one of the few times where his preference for the Speccy over the hated C64 can't really shine through, since the Speccy conversions of all the BD games are mediocre. Then again, the A-8 original of the first title outshines the C64 one, too.
For me the Atari 8-bit version is perfection - all others are pretenders to the throne - can't understand why anyone would rate Speccy over C64 though :shock: :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:05 am

Got mine today, 14th of June is early. Seems good as usual, lots of reviews. Must get around to playing Eye of the Beholder at some point as I love Dungeon Master.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:19 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Just wanted to thank the RG team:

I woke up this morning with a ranging hang over. Rolled over to discover that the girl I was chatting to in the pub was lying next to me :oops:

I think its fair to say that she didn't look quite as good as she must have last night!!!!

Anyway, was pretty gutted but when she left (without us even speaking) I spotted the mag in my mail box.

:lol: Good old beer goggles :lol:

Got mine this morning too, just having a quick flick through it. Not sure why you recommended to Casey (in the reader's letters bit) that he needs to get his Dreamcast chipped for import games, surely it'd just be much easier for him (or anyone else) to use a boot disc?

Also, I don't own a Neo Geo myself but Daran, I think you've completely missed the point with your 'opinion' about SNK Arcade Classics 1.....of course Neo Geo owners are going to notice emulation problems more than the rest of us and to imply that they're being spiteful in some way just because their expensive games are available on a cheap compilation is just, well, a bit rude I think. Nobody has made any such comment in the thread about it in the 'games' section of this forum.

The fact that in the 'scores' boxout at the end of the review, it's described as 'one of the best-looking DS games we've seen' is a different matter entirely.... :lol: ;)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 am

mikeb wrote:For me the Atari 8-bit version is perfection - all others are pretenders to the throne - can't understand why anyone would rate Speccy over C64 though :shock: :D
Rating the Speccy over the C64 largely comes down to taste. However, rating any of the Speccy Boulder Dash games over the C64 versions would simply suggest a total lack of taste (and marbles). But, yeah, Liepa's original A-8 effort's where it's at for BD. After that, it was pretty much diminishing returns anyway, bar a couple of reasonably good games around 2000 (which I know Stu likes waaaaaaay more than I do), and hand-held games that owe more to Repton than Boulder Dash (aside from the dreadful Boulder Dash Rocks).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:06 am

Here you go unlucky non-subscribers (and those with crappy postmen or in weird far away lands).........

As much as I love Starwars, I have never been a huge fan of the games - except the origional arcade one............ SO the making of that was right up my street.
Back to the 80's and 90's were brilliant as usual.

Retrorevival on Spindizzy was much much better than usual ones - with screenshots from C64, Speccy and CPC - I can guess what screenshot came from what machine, but maybe a little pointer on the page would help others that wouldn't have a clue.

VERY nice two pager on the Retro Fusion event coming up with an interview with Boyo - looking forward to this BIGTIME!!

Overall - pretty yummy issue! (Although not overly keen on the cover)

:roll:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:32 am

all looks good, but where's the new international track and field review? GameTM and Edge have done thiers, and surely the street date for iss.52 will coincide with the NITaF street date?

Oh yeah, and in Retro Gamer Diary, Samba De Amigo has format = DS :(
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:37 am

ToxieDogg wrote:

Got mine this morning too, just having a quick flick through it. Not sure why you recommended to Casey (in the reader's letters bit) that he needs to get his Dreamcast chipped for import games, surely it'd just be much easier for him (or anyone else) to use a boot disc?

Also, I don't own a Neo Geo myself but Daran, I think you've completely missed the point with your 'opinion' about SNK Arcade Classics 1.....of course Neo Geo owners are going to notice emulation problems more than the rest of us and to imply that they're being spiteful in some way just because their expensive games are available on a cheap compilation is just, well, a bit rude I think. Nobody has made any such comment in the thread about it in the 'games' section of this forum.

The fact that in the 'scores' boxout at the end of the review, it's described as 'one of the best-looking DS games we've seen' is a different matter entirely.... :lol: ;)
Right then let's see what was written...

A lot of hardcore SNK fans aren't too impressed with SNK Playmore's latest compilation.
While we haven't noticed many of the issues that their eagle eyes have apparently picked up, we can see why they'd be upset with this latest compilation.
After all, it can't be easy to spend hundreds of pounds on an elite system, only to see virtually the entire back catalogue getting released for a pittance (and possibly devaluing your costly collection).

Show me where I've said NEO GEO owners are being spiteful.

I've not said that at all. I've spoken to quite a few NEO Geo owners about the various compilations and downloads that Playmore are releasing and the vast majority of them are annoyed at them. You've only got to look on their forums to see that. They're annoyed at the shoddy emulation (again I've not noticed anything other than the odd bit of slowdown) and the fact that SNK aren't just putting any effort in.

Some people will always want the real thing, but many aren't going to buy into an expensive market now when the games are becoming so readily available.

You're looking at accusations that simply aren't there I'm afraid.

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:48 am

Wow! Klax, Spindizzy, Eye of the Beholder and Ridge Racer! I'm definitely looking forward to those! Plus infos about Star Wars games? Sounds like a great issue!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:

Right then let's see what was written...

A lot of hardcore SNK fans aren't too impressed with SNK Playmore's latest compilation.
While we haven't noticed many of the issues that their eagle eyes have apparently picked up, we can see why they'd be upset with this latest compilation.
After all, it can't be easy to spend hundreds of pounds on an elite system, only to see virtually the entire back catalogue getting released for a pittance (and possibly devaluing your costly collection).

Show me where I've said NEO GEO owners are being spiteful.

I've not said that at all. I've spoken to quite a few NEO Geo owners about the various compilations and downloads that Playmore are releasing and the vast majority of them are annoyed at them. You've only got to look on their forums to see that. They're annoyed at the shoddy emulation (again I've not noticed anything other than the odd bit of slowdown) and the fact that SNK aren't just putting any effort in.

Some people will always want the real thing, but many aren't going to buy into an expensive market now when the games are becoming so readily available.

You're looking at accusations that simply aren't there I'm afraid.
What I said was that it was an implication, I didn't say that it was an outright accusation at all. The way it initially appeared to me was that you were saying, in other words, 'Neo Geo owners are whinging about emulation issues that simply aren't there because they're secretly annoyed that their expensive games are available on a cheap compilation.' I'm sorry, but that's the way I first read it and whilst I accept your explanation and apologise for being so vocal, it does concern me that I found the tone of your statement so easy to misinterpret, it's likely that some others may too.

That being said, I really do not want to argue with you and apologise for any offence caused, in the main I completely respect your views and enjoy reading many of your aricles and contributions. And I still think Retro Gamer is a great magazine, otherwise I'd be on the phone angrily cancelling my subscription now. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!