Ideas for games for Retro Shamer

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 am

Dan1980 wrote:Clayfighter(cant think of anything else to say) :shock:

I remember this game as well. Clayfighter really is a Retro Shamer game!
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Hmm, I'm gonna put a couple of Ideas forward. 1. Karnov. What the bloody were Data East thinking of churning this unplayable, Uncontrolable turd of a game out into the arcades??? No wonder the home ports were utter drivel if the Coin op is anything to go by!

2.Simpsons Wrestling. This game was a total mess. Biggest turd EVER to have the good name Simpsons attached to it. Bloody AWFUL!

3. Altered Beast. I know its another Coin Op but C'mon SEGA, What were you thinking?? Monotonous, repetitive side scrolling crud, that basically involves constantly kicking or punching everything you see in sight until a silver dog gives you an orb to make you think this dung seem exciting!
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Nightbreed wrote:Hmm, I'm gonna put a couple of Ideas forward. 1. Karnov. What the bloody were Data East thinking of churning this unplayable, Uncontrolable turd of a game out into the arcades??? No wonder the home ports were utter drivel if the Coin op is anything to go by!

2.Simpsons Wrestling. This game was a total mess. Biggest turd EVER to have the good name Simpsons attached to it. Bloody AWFUL!

3. Altered Beast. I know its another Coin Op but C'mon SEGA, What were you thinking?? Monotonous, repetitive side scrolling crud, that basically involves constantly kicking or punching everything you see in sight until a silver dog gives you an orb to make you think this dung seem exciting!

I agree that 'Altered Beast' should also be a Retro Shamer game!

:)

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:16 am

Is that a case of familiarity breeding contempt though?

Altered Beast has a similar playing style to the already-featured Last Battle, and Last Battle is infinitely worse. In comparison, Altered Beast is deeper than the ocean.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Perhaps, but it still sucks. We can't get into comparisons here, if the only games eligible for Retro Shamering must be at least as bad as Last Battle then we're talking a very exclusive clique.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:15 pm

And what about Karnov? That was crap!!!
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 am

Here are some more Retro Shamer games to suggest:

1. Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600)
2. Spawn: The Eternal (PSone)
3. Night Trap (Mega CD)
4. Bubsy 3D (PSone)

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:50 pm

I have some foggy memories of playing this car game in Butlins in Wales several years ago, like a decade or fifteen years maybe. Not sure. I don't remember the name and I doubt anyone else will know it, but maybe someone does?

Anyhow, you were driving Cool Car #1, and you were to follow Cool Car #2. One of them was a Lotus I believe. It wasn't a race, as the guy in the live-action intro told me. I "only have to keep up." So anyhow I slotted my coin in and took the wheel. It was all filmed and, I'd presumed, digitally transfered to make the game. The other car kept just ahead of me on this twisting, scenic mountainside road, and sure enough I couldn't seem to pass it out. I was actually doing pretty well, since I didn't play many racers, and hadn't crashed yet. In fact, my turning was perfect.

After a short while it dawned on my that I was watching a movie. These weren't digitized graphics, this was an actual video someone had shot from Cool Car #1 of Cool Car #2 driving along this road ahead of me. The wheel and pedal of the sit-down cabinet actually didn't do anything except navigate the options screens. After experimentally trying and failing to swerve off the cliff on my right a few times I eventually just left the damn thing running and stalked off to play Area 51.

Does this ring any bells?

Anyhow, I nominate that. If nobody can identify it it'd make very akward yet interesting Retro Shamer.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Dunjohn wrote:I have some foggy memories of playing this car game in Butlins in Wales several years ago, like a decade or fifteen years maybe. Not sure. I don't remember the name and I doubt anyone else will know it, but maybe someone does?

Anyhow, you were driving Cool Car #1, and you were to follow Cool Car #2. One of them was a Lotus I believe. It wasn't a race, as the guy in the live-action intro told me. I "only have to keep up." So anyhow I slotted my coin in and took the wheel. It was all filmed and, I'd presumed, digitally transfered to make the game. The other car kept just ahead of me on this twisting, scenic mountainside road, and sure enough I couldn't seem to pass it out. I was actually doing pretty well, since I didn't play many racers, and hadn't crashed yet. In fact, my turning was perfect.

After a short while it dawned on my that I was watching a movie. These weren't digitized graphics, this was an actual video someone had shot from Cool Car #1 of Cool Car #2 driving along this road ahead of me. The wheel and pedal of the sit-down cabinet actually didn't do anything except navigate the options screens. After experimentally trying and failing to swerve off the cliff on my right a few times I eventually just left the damn thing running and stalked off to play Area 51.

Does this ring any bells?

Anyhow, I nominate that. If nobody can identify it it'd make very akward yet interesting Retro Shamer.
As a guess, the "classic" laserdisc game street viper

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/sv.asp
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:25 pm

I don't believe it, I think that's the one. Nice one! It was an absolute turd. I don't know what it's talking about dodging cars for, you had no control over the video.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 pm

I'd have to recommend Wall Street Kid for the NES.

That game was sucktastic.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Err Explorer for the Speccy, a billion locations and a bit like trying to find your needle in a haystack a mile wide, what were they thinking and the graphics (for the time) looked so promising ( I bought it hmm) :oops:
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:48 pm

yethboth wrote:Here are some more Retro Shamer games to suggest:

1. Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600)
2. Spawn: The Eternal (PSone)
3. Night Trap (Mega CD)
4. Bubsy 3D (PSone)
5. Stun Runner (All formats)

driver695

Super Hang-On (C64)

Post by driver695 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:41 pm

Super Hang-On (C64)
I so LOVED this game in the arcade - & when I saw there were home computer conversions I was in heaven.

I read reviews on the Amiga/ST versions - looked SUPERB in the screenshots - then saw a Speccy review - it was good too - and the monochrome graphics were pretty classy.

But no sign of C64 release....or reviews.......

So I scanned mags - and eventually found somewhere to order it.....and waited....and waited......

Then it arrived.....It was like a large Alsatian had shat through my letterbox......WHAT a pile of CRAP!

Can't remember who it was by (Electric Dreams?) - but whoever published it must have bunged the mags a bit of cash to hush up the C64 conversion - UTTER RUBBISH.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 pm

yethboth wrote:5. Stun Runner (All formats)
Apart from the original arcade game, which was rather spiffy. And the Lynx conversion, come to think about it.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com