Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:05 am

I was 14 years old when I saw 'The Phantom Menace', I loved it, I bet I felt the same way as people who saw the original in 77.

I quite like the Playstation/PC game as well, though I've only played the first level.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:29 am

While I agree that everyone is welcome to their opinion on the Phantom Menace, AVP and the like, the majority of critics think these are poor films. There seems to be this common notion that if you saw the Phantom Menace (a humourless, sterile, dialogue heavy disaster in my opinion) when you were younger it was therefore a great film, probably more to do with the fact that you have experienced less quality fims at this age, George Lucas needs to be permanently locked in his ranch under guard.

"What are midichlorians Qui-Gon?" - YUCK!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:26 am

Agree with that, my nephews all loved Phantom Menace but anyone over the age of 16 never seemed to like it.

When the original Star Wars films came out everyone seemed to like them, young and old.

There are bits in Phantom Menace i quite like, Darth Maul, the Pod Race etc but there are so many bits i cant stand, many more.

The initial excitement though after seeing the trailer for the first time was incredible though, its like our whole office stopped to watch the 2 or 3 minutes of the trailer and it did look so good from that.

That sequence you mentioned about midichlorians and that, was dire. Plus i cant believe kids liked a story about trade embargos etc, bit ott

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:34 am

sscott wrote:There seems to be this common notion that if you saw the Phantom Menace... ...when you were younger it was therefore a great film, probably more to do with the fact that you have experienced less quality fims at this age
Completely disagree. I saw Star Wars on its original 1977 release and have been a huge star wars fan ever since (I ran a star wars fan site for a while in my geekier years). I loved Menace. The film was dialogue heavy and it took a while to get used to McGreggor's dodgy accent but it was interesting, exciting and very enjoyable. The podrace scene being a highlight of the whole series.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:01 am

Maybe the films were better in the olden days, because as soon as you saw Star wars in 1977, you couldnt go home and censored about the film on the net to fit in with the in crowd. :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:17 am

You knew back then (and now) what your circle of friends thought about a film though. Back then everyone i knew loved Star Wars, adults as well.

The general concensus around my friends is that the new film is 'okay' but not really anything special. As i've said before if it wasnt Indiana Jones in the starring role and say Nicolas Cage so its a National Treasure type of film most people wouldnt go and see it.

Obviously its 'Indiana Jones' and so many people have gone to see it but so many people seem to have come away disappointed.

Sure i speak on behalf of many when i say we were all Indy fans of the original 3 films.

Does seem only hardcore fanboys seem to be sticking up for it. Its an average film but very overrated.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:27 am

:lol: I havnt seen the new Indy film yet, but I like both the National Treasure film's.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:30 am

You could argue that all the Indiana Jones films are overrated with the exception of Radiers. Seriously as we grow older we do out best to kill any fun or enjoyment that may be there by looking at everything with negative intentions just because the imagination we shared when we were young is long since gone.

Like Sir Clive said, if you go in with the intention of the film being censored from what you've heard then you're bound not to enjoy it. The first post here only focused on the negative aspects of the film, which kind of says it all. I've not seen it yet but there are bound to be some good bits in there too.

At heart it's a kids film and should be viewed as such. Why does it even have to be reviewed or criticized? Just enjoy it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:37 am

I never go to see any film with negative intentions (Unless its a chick flick and i've been forced to go by my wife) and was reallyyyyy looking forward to the new Indy film hoping it'll be a great film so there'll be many others.

Yeah i heard bad things from people here but that didnt change my view, i know from this forum sooo many of us have different tastes. Its great reading someone elses review but it didnt change my initial outlook on the film.

Yeah i'm older but still enjoy a great film, i dont think its purely a kids film, obviously they want the original Indy crowd to go and see it so they havent made it juvenile or that.

Its definately worth watching, just as an Indy film you expect more. Same with Phantom Menace, in small places its quite good but of course having the 'Star Wars' name you expect a huge blockbuster which is brilliant.

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:46 am

Saw Indy last night and I thought it was brilliant!

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 am

C=Style wrote: Like Sir Clive said, if you go in with the intention of the film being censored from what you've heard then you're bound not to enjoy it. The first post here only focused on the negative aspects of the film, which kind of says it all. I've not seen it yet but there are bound to be some good bits in there too.

At heart it's a kids film and should be viewed as such. Why does it even have to be reviewed or criticized? Just enjoy it.
Two things,

Don't assume there are good bits until you have actually seen the film. You might love it, if so, great! Saying that there must be good bits when you haven't even seen the film is a pointless statement. In my opinion there were several OK bits but no good bits. My review focused on the negative aspects because in my opinion the positive aspects were so few and insignificant it wasn't worth mentioning them.

Secondly, by your rationale surely kids films shouldn't be reviewed at all then. If so why do we all have favorite Disney films, why do we think some are better than others? Why do we even consider the Indy films to be better than The Mummy films if the point of kids films is not to criticize them but to just enjoy them?

Surely it's the level of enjoyment we get from a film which determines how good it is, so what happens if there's no enjoyment to be found? Should we still not criticize it?

Anyway, sorry if this sounded like a rant, I just couldn't disagree more. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:36 pm

one thing's for sure - Ray Winstone goes straight to the top of the list for annoying side-kicks

btw I thought he should have ended up marrying Willie - she was WAY hotter!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:55 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:one thing's for sure - Ray Winstone goes straight to the top of the list for annoying side-kicks
Hell no ! No one beats 'short stop' or whatever that kids name who ruined Temple of Doom was called.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:09 pm

psj3809 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:one thing's for sure - Ray Winstone goes straight to the top of the list for annoying side-kicks
Hell no ! No one beats 'short stop' or whatever that kids name who ruined Temple of Doom was called.
was he the same little dude in Goonies?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:44 pm

btw I thought he should have ended up marrying Willie - she was WAY hotter!
"Jonesssssssssey!" ...classic, oh wait, not classic, very, very irritating!