Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:29 am

The three main action sequences were pretty good but the first hour i thought was quite dull. After the chase at the beginning it went quiet for about 30 mins which surprised me.

Still torn. I dont think it was a great film (If it wasnt Indy in the title and it was say National Treasures etc i wouldnt have bothered), it wasnt terrible, wasnt a turkey but just wasnt amazing really.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Fri May 30, 2008 3:23 pm

I really enjoyed it, a very fun action film.

Rank

1. The Last Crusade
2. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
3. Kingdom Of The Chrystal Skull
4. Temple Of Doom
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 30, 2008 3:55 pm

At last, a ally!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri May 30, 2008 5:30 pm

i still think that Fate Of Atlantis would have made a much better film.
Could have adapted it to the 50's, instead of the Russians, do an uprising of Nazi fanatics trying to resurrect the Third Reich and build an army, and finding that the power of Atlantis will help them do it, try and take over the world. Cue Indy an Sophia and, bing bang bong, an idea for Indy (granted, its tweaked from the original FOA storyline, but still, it's all there).

would have been better than what was released which i did like, though....if i could have heard it (damn kids throwing popcorn and behaving like arses!)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 30, 2008 5:47 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:i still think that Fate Of Atlantis would have made a much better film.
Could have adapted it to the 50's, instead of the Russians, do an uprising of Nazi fanatics trying to resurrect the Third Reich and build an army, and finding that the power of Atlantis will help them do it, try and take over the world. Cue Indy an Sophia and, bing bang bong, an idea for Indy (granted, its tweaked from the original FOA storyline, but still, it's all there).

would have been better than what was released which i did like, though....if i could have heard it (damn kids throwing popcorn and behaving like arses!)
a psychic woman?
telepathic trans-dimensional beings?
with strange shaped skeletons/skulls?
In a search for a mythical land?
Where the triumphant bad guy accepts the gift bestowed on them?

There are many elements of the film nicked straight from FOA
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri May 30, 2008 5:55 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:i still think that Fate Of Atlantis would have made a much better film.

a psychic woman?

fair do's. But i still think Fate Of Atlantis should have been filmed instead.

never mind, eh?
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:

a psychic woman?

never mind, eh?
oh , I agree - but I guess then we would have been EVEN MORE disappointed with the end results

One thing I would say is that , unlike Stallone in Rocky , Ford's portrayl of Indy is believable in what he is and isn't capable of doing .. shame about his son's though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm starting to think you have had a bump on the head. Stallone was great in the last Rocky. A superb end to a superb franchise.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri May 30, 2008 6:40 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: a psychic woman?

never mind, eh?
oh , I agree - but I guess then we would have been EVEN MORE disappointed with the end results

One thing I would say is that , unlike Stallone in Rocky , Ford's portrayl of Indy is believable in what he is and isn't capable of doing .. shame about his son's though
totally agree about that. though i think they should have brought in a fresh director for it, say Robert Zemeckis. see what he would have done with the idea. and, as i have said before, not use david koepp is screenwriter. it wasn't a strong enough story for and Indiana Jones adventure.

Or maybe it is only me getting old

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 pm

SirClive wrote:I'm starting to think you have had a bump on the head. Stallone was great in the last Rocky. A superb end to a superb franchise.
I agree that Stallone was fantastic - it's just that it was totally unbelievable that at his age , he could have lasted more than 1 round against the guy he was fighting , let alone make it to the last. Indy looked and acted his age - in fact , just how we would EXPECT an ageing Indy to act ; I have no problems with Ford's acting in the movie
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 30, 2008 6:59 pm

OK, I'll stand down. Though you was dissing one of my gay dad's then (the other is Michael J Fox).

I have never though Ford was a very good actor. In Air Force One his performance was excruciating, but Indy doesn't need a fine actor.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 31, 2008 2:18 am

Saw it last night. I wanted to believe SirClive but I'm afraid I can't - it wasn't awful but has serious pacing and editing issues. Cate Blanchett as the main bad guy was mis-cast and wasn't threatining in the slightest and the ending(s) were signposted a mile off. If that was the best script of the lot then you have to wonder what the others were like!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 31, 2008 4:55 am

but as soon as you mention pacing and editing, you are taking it too seriously.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sat May 31, 2008 6:30 am

SirClive wrote:but as soon as you mention pacing and editing, you are taking it too seriously.
I don't mean any offense Sir Clive, but do you actually understand what pacing and editing are?

Pacing is the speed at which the story is told to us and how quickly the film's narrative flows i.e. whether it's fast paced and exciting or slow and boring. Editing is the method that the filmmaker uses in order to determine this pace (as well as fulfilling a few other functions).

How is it taking a film too seriously to mention how slow it is or fast paced it is? You have already said you found it exciting, which is in itself an indirect comment on the pace of the film. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether a film is by Spielberg, Fellini or Uwe Boll, the pace of any film is vitally important. :)

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sat May 31, 2008 6:33 am

Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Double Post
Last edited by Guybrush on Sat May 31, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.