The first game you EVER played on your 8-bit computer.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ajgreen

Post by ajgreen » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:23 am

I am ashamed to say Through the Wall for the Speccy. Very poor basic breakout clone with bizarre physics to say the least. It was given away free on the Horizons tape. I think the first "proper" speccy game was probably Chequered Flag, a decent motor racing sim that suffered from the fact that there were no other cars on the road apart from yourself!

william

Post by william » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:29 pm

Christmas 84 -'Harrier attack' on my brand new Amstrad 464 with colour moniter,then after that 'Johnny reb' by lothlorien.

Collywobbles

Post by Collywobbles » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:18 pm

The first game on my own computer would have been either Quest or Metioroids on the Dragon 32, both by Dragon Data.

These both came bundled with the machine. Quest was a an RPG written in Basic and used text based characters for the graphics. I still played it for hours though! Metioroids was a pretty good Asteroids clone that came on a cartridge.

I certainly played Pong on a TV console before that and the awful Pacman on a friends Atari 2600. What really got me to demand my own computer in the end was playing Jeff Minter's Attack of the Mutant Camels on another friends C64. I actually went into town with my dad with the intention of buying a C64 but there weren't any available in Dixons. Desperate for a computer, I agreed to take a Dragon 32 home instead. I don't regret it as it was a great machine to program (it had Microsoft Basic!) and some pretty good games. I learnt to program on my Dragon and it's what I still do today. :D

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:21 pm

very difficult thread to answer this because the first 8-bit computer I had was a ZX-81 and I was 6 years old, so this was about 1980. Trying to remember.... it was probably space invaders or 3D Monster Maze or something like that...

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:05 am

kelp7 wrote:very difficult thread to answer this because the first 8-bit computer I had was a ZX-81 and I was 6 years old, so this was about 1980. Trying to remember.... it was probably space invaders or 3D Monster Maze or something like that...
A ZX-81 in 1980 :shock:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Hurray Banana

Post by Hurray Banana » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:44 am

I tried to play the tape version of 'Way of the Exploding Fist' on my CPC 6128, but I had to hack the loader so the game missed the firmware addresses of the disk drive controller.

Played games on early consoles (VCS etc..) but this was my first computer, great introduction.
Own Working Powerdrift Upright
Commando, Pengo, Gyruss, Mr Do Vs Unicorns PCB's
Mame/Jamma cab (h), mame/jamma cocktail in production
Dreamcast, Cube, PS2, MD , Snes, Jag, Saturn
Currently playing: Outrun 2006 (ps2), Virtua Cop (saturn), TnF, Gyruss

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:42 am

Wizard of Wor on my C64, Christmas day 1987. *wipes tear*
真・豪鬼

Platopotato

Post by Platopotato » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:09 am

If you had a speccy it was Thro The Wall on the horizons tape.... classic... everything since has been a poor remake..... Or Make a Chip - No other game since has come close to bettering that.

mosh

Post by mosh » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:43 am

Jack Attack, on my spanking new C16. I'd played games on the VIC20's my school had, but my very own first computer was a C16.

I still play Jack Attack on my Plus/4. It's the game that had the most influence on me. Even more than Galaga ;)

monkey puzzle

Re:

Post by monkey puzzle » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:26 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:I did play on a computer at school earlier. Our class borrowed a computer for the day and played some educational game on it called "chase" or "cat and mouse". Basically it asked you questions, you answered y or n and if you got it right you as the mouse moved and if you got it wrong the cat moved closer to you. Maybe it was a commodore pet or something similar.
Yes, I remember this game. It was one of the first games I ever played on the schools BBC computer along with Granny's Garden, some other educational games, and the fantastic Chucky egg!

As for my own C64, the 3 games It came with were:

Taxman (a pacman clone)
Magotmania (a centerpede clone)
and Blitz 64

The first game I played was Taxman, which I still own the original cassette of. Ive been trying to find a ROM image of it for use on emulators, but it doesnt seem to exsist amongst thousands of ROMs. Ahh what I would give for just one more go. :cry:

telengard

Post by telengard » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Vic-20 Jupiter Lander
Atari 800 Star Raiders
C64 Telengard

Pretty sure the Vic-20 was first of them all though...

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:35 pm

My first ever venture into gaming was on an old orange and brown Grandstand machine playing tennis with paddles.

Proper console was Atari 2600 Combat

and Computer was probably Commodore 64 Hobbit but I remember playing on my friends zx81 and that may have been earlier some crap black and white maze game lol
Retro when it wasnt cool

C4

Post by C4 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Missile Command on my second-hand Atari 65XE in August 1992.

nwosteve

Re:

Post by nwosteve » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 pm

[quote="Platopotato"]If you had a speccy it was Thro The Wall on the horizons tape.... classic... everything since has been a poor remake..... Or Make a Chip - No other game since has come close to bettering that.[/quote]

yes, but it was called demolition of you had the spectrum+

i had survival and scrabble on the same label as make a chip...hmmmm

remember moon alert, gilligans gold, rolands rat race and space raiders
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

RS200

Post by RS200 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:04 pm

My First was some kind of battleship game for the ZX80 which Dad built for me. Don't remember so much about it as I was only 8 at the time. The next game I "really" remember playing was Football Manager for the ZX81 though .. had that thermal printer for it ... oooh! .. it smelt rancid ...