GDA ?!?!?!?!?!?!

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

STranger81

GDA ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Post by STranger81 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:20 am

I thank Gillian Mckeith for this!

Everything that we grew up on in the 80's has suddenly become more harmful than smack. Now a days if you have that second can of pepsi then !!!BANG!!! your diabetic, eat a bag of crisps !!!BANG!!! heart disease.

I cant be the only person to notice this? I lived on sweets and crisps and that stuff (still do to be honest) and Im not obese or have blood pressure off the charts.

BRING BACK THE GORGING OF THE 80'S!

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Don't you get it? Everything is bad for you nowadays. You can't eat processed meat because it will give you cancer. You also can't have too much salmon because it will also give you cancer. Don't breathe in too much air when flying in the aeroplane because it will make you ill. Ah, and don't spend too much money or else you will be feeling the credit crunch. We're all doomed.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:19 pm

I just eat and drink what I like....id rather turn up at the pearly gates with a beer belly having enjoyed myself in life rather than looking fab but having been boring!!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:01 pm

scaremongering.

thats all it looks like to me.
id rather not be told what i cant eat. It gets my goat when people say stuff like: Dont eat that, it will make you obese, high blood pressure, e.t.c. SO BLOODY WHAT!!! Its my choice, not youres you nosey bastard.
People in the early 20th century were eating what they like and they lived until a ripe old age

if its in my hand and its edible, in my mouth it goes (no rude jokes). No one tells me what i have as a filling in me sarnie!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I agree, except on one small part.

People who elect to live the life of Riley, and eat, drink and smoke what they like, should pay more National Insurance. I'm currently paying for all the fatties who need medication for their various ailments they have CHOSEN to inflict upon themselves. And the Smokers. And the Drinkers.

I'm no saint - but I look after myself. Weird that if you look after yourself, you're a health freak, yet if you look after your house, you're not a House freak.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:55 am

thats the thing though: im not a chubs in the least. im quite slim. though i do eat an astonishing amount of fruit too.
all im saying is that people should have the freedom to eat what they want, and not be told that they will die if they eat that next piece of chocolate.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Dudley

Re: GDA ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Post by Dudley » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:25 am

STranger81 wrote:I thank Gillian Mckeith for this!

Everything that we grew up on in the 80's has suddenly become more harmful than smack. Now a days if you have that second can of pepsi then !!!BANG!!! your diabetic, eat a bag of crisps !!!BANG!!! heart disease.

I cant be the only person to notice this? I lived on sweets and crisps and that stuff (still do to be honest) and Im not obese or have blood pressure off the charts.

BRING BACK THE GORGING OF THE 80'S!
McKeith is nothing more or less than a fraudster with no relevant qualifications. She trades pretending to be a medical doctor, her doctorate is not in medicine but in "Holistic Nutrition", her degree is Linguistics. She has been censured multiple times for advertising herself as a doctor without a disclaimer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/fe ... ising.food

Explains so much more about how she doesn't even understand basic science and her claims are usually at best snake oil, and on occasion actively harmful.

For instance...
When McKeith was first caught out on the ridiculous and erroneous claims of her CV - she claimed, for example, to have a PhD from the reputable American College of Nutrition - her representatives suggested that this was a mistake, made by a Spanish work experience kid, who posted the wrong CV. Except the very same claim about the American College of Nutrition was also in one of her books from several years previously. That's a long work experience stint.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:15 am

I loved that when she was exposed for her "qualifications"

Thats the best when she walks round shopping centres telling people off for eating a pastie or a burger. I'd force it down her neck if she ever collared me.

I still think "saturated fat" is something invented by Gordon Brown to get us to cut down on the good stuff. Mind you it's just like in the 90's when everyone was fretting about E numbers in pop. that soon died down.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:I agree, except on one small part.

People who elect to live the life of Riley, and eat, drink and smoke what they like, should pay more National Insurance. I'm currently paying for all the fatties who need medication for their various ailments they have CHOSEN to inflict upon themselves. And the Smokers. And the Drinkers.
Indeed. This is where the line "It's my body and I'll do what I want with it" falls down.

One of my friends (who is in the NHS) gets depressed about the increasingly common attitude that the health service is there to 'fix' me when my chosen lifestyle inevitably causes something in my body to break down. Heaven forbid that a doctor or other medical professional suggest a 'lifestyle change' instead of just replacing the body part and sending me on my way to eat/smoke/drink myself back into hospital.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue May 06, 2008 9:14 am

Mc Donalds are really p1ssin me off at the moment with their "Chicken Nuggets, Fruitbag and bottle of water" advert.....

Kids do not go to mcdonalds for fruit and water!!! they can get that bloody anywhere!!

They go to have burgers an fries!!!! Deal with it!!!

I grew up with mcdonalds and i do not weigh 50 stone with a heart condition...Why?? Because my parents were sensible enough to not feed me mcdonalds 5 times a week, just occasionally.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:08 am

Commander Jameson wrote:People who elect to live the life of Riley, and eat, drink and smoke what they like, should pay more National Insurance. I'm currently paying for all the fatties who need medication for their various ailments they have CHOSEN to inflict upon themselves. And the Smokers. And the Drinkers.
Granted, i dont like having to pay for the smokers (as i've never smoked) but on the other hand i'm more concerned with all the chavvy young kids who have babies and cant afford to look after them. Do think there should be a rule about you can only have a kid if you can afford to look after them yourself.

As for the fatties though, the really really obese - everyday in McDonalds ones should get their stomachs staped instantly. Talking the over 20 stone brigade - thats just wrong.

But just as i read about some bloke dying because hes eaten tons of crappy food all his life i also read about some bloke, super fit, practising for the London Marathon suddenly dropping dead.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed May 07, 2008 4:18 am

If all the smokers stopped smoking tomorrow there wouldn't be a bloody health service as the government wouldn't be able to afford it.

Let's not start pointing fingers here, The government reap in billions and billions on cigarette tax and alcohol tax, it would have to come from somewhere else if there weren't smokers and drinkers.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Wed May 07, 2008 4:59 am

I can remember when i was a kid tehre was a right hoohar regarding hyper active kids and parents were all being told to stop giving the kids orange squash. These days its called ADHD. and you an get 60 quid a WEEK in benefit for having this. WTF? When did this happen? I think us people that are now retro gamers were simply of a different breed than kids today.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 07, 2008 6:50 am

Its got more to do with the way you eat and your kind of lifestyle (exercise being the main thing).

Even the sell by dates are getting stupid now. I'm sure the shops and food manufacturers are loving it, as it encourages people to buy more often and throw out stuff that there's nothing wrong with. Back when we were growing up stuff used to last far longer. Maybe thats got something else to do with it, people get ill far more readily nowadays as its actually bad for you to be raised in a sterile environment and eat food with no interesting bacteria in it. People are growing up with immune systems that have built up resistance to f**k all as they're never exposed to anything. Couple that with increasingly sedentary lifestyles (you have to actively seek physical exercise now as labour saving technology and in home entertainment has effectively removed it as an incidental benefit from everyday life).

Regulation is the exact opposite to whats needed. This govt has done enough damage already in so many areas trying to install rigid, badly researched legislation and doctrine, where all thats really needed in most cases is guidance and leaving the rest to discretion. We're gently sliding towards a heavily policed Nanny state. Just look at the adverts on TV for things like benefit claimants, vehicle tax, the TV licence, and so forth. I'm all for enforcing the law but when we start seeing ominously voiced Orwellian adverts stating 'we know who you are, we know where you live, we're watching you, there's no escape', you're basically menacing the entire population into submission. Its Rachmanism on a National scale demanding compliance and payment with threats of dire consequences - its a f**king scandal, and they apply this heavy handed, totalitarian attitude to everything.
Misguided and woefully underqualified idiots like McKeith dominate virtually every aspect and department of government and will stigmatise and shriek into submission anyone who might suggest there are alternatives to government policy, mainly because if you allowed their concepts to be explored with any depth they would be exposed for the pointless sh*t that they are. Its one of the oldest tricks in the book and it was largely Tony Blair and his 'team' that resurrected and refined the concept.
Common sense is now a marginalised and outdated concept it seems - along with anything approaching free will.

You see so many people nowadays who are basically decent, ordinary folk, they work, raise their kids, pay their tax and generally live life as decent human beings etc, but due to there being no discretion anymore everyone is treated the same. There is no mitigation and thousands of these perfectly normal, law abiding people are being subjected to fines, court action, even criminal records where they absolutely don't deserve to be.
Accidentally parked your car in the wrong spot a few inches over a bay or yellow line? - guilty! f**k off and pay up, a few miles an hour over the speed limit for 30 seconds? - guilty! f**k off and pay up, a few days late with your council tax payment? - guilty! f**k off and pay up, put your rubbish in the wrong type of bin? - guilty! f**k off and pay up.....and on and on it goes in virtually every aspect of life, everything is now heavily regulated and any transgression will see you dealt with immediately and without quarter - there is no room to breath.
Since virtually everything comes with an associated fine nowadays, these aren't regulations and laws that protect you, your health, or your interests they're basically another stealth tax. Want to live life on your own terms and to your own timetable? - pay up. Its all about the money kids. And don't for a minute think these things are aimed at the parts of society who live their lives on scams and benefits, eating chips as they know full well that these people won't pay or heed the advice anyway, its aimed at us, the ones with a sense of social responsibility and more importantly a legitimate income.

They're basically scum as far as I'm concerned and I'm someone that does everything on the square anyway.

(actually went off on a bit of a rant there - back on topic then).
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Commander Jameson wrote:People who elect to live the life of Riley, and eat, drink and smoke what they like, should pay more National Insurance. I'm currently paying for all the fatties who need medication for their various ailments they have CHOSEN to inflict upon themselves. And the Smokers. And the Drinkers.
Granted, i dont like having to pay for the smokers (as i've never smoked) but on the other hand i'm more concerned with all the chavvy young kids who have babies and cant afford to look after them. Do think there should be a rule about you can only have a kid if you can afford to look after them yourself.

As for the fatties though, the really really obese - everyday in McDonalds ones should get their stomachs staped instantly. Talking the over 20 stone brigade - thats just wrong.

But just as i read about some bloke dying because hes eaten tons of crappy food all his life i also read about some bloke, super fit, practising for the London Marathon suddenly dropping dead.

Yeah - ieven f you stay in shape, there IS always the SMALL chance you'll get hit by a car,heart attack, cancer or whatever.
BUT - if you DON'T look after yourself, there's a MUCH higher chance that you'll die of something nasty- all I'm doing in minimising the odds in my favour, I don't pretend I'm preventing them all together.

And don't get me started on chavvy kids having families. There ought to be a license system introduced for breeding.