Crash Magazine scanned on dvd's & on sale on eBay ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:41 pm

LeeT wrote:
Ghostbiscuit wrote:I was about to link you to the previously wonderful http://www.commodoreformat.co.uk, but it's not there no more! I've not looked for a while, what happened? Did Future step in?

EDIT: Well, it's loaded now, but it's not working. Another retro casualty?
The webmaster of that site does an update, disapears for a couple of years then comes back...at least, thats what has happened in the past!
It's more that right now it's completely and irretrievably broken.

Yeah, I'd found that before. I guess I'll have to hope this crash guy has that one to go on ebay :)

andy_taff

Post by andy_taff » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:39 pm

I think it's a good idea, a few of us may have had articles in the magazines back in the 80's and it would be good to read them again.

Would also be good if anyone else would do the same i would but i binned my full set of Your Sinclairs back in 92 when i had kids but would like to read them again.

Preservation is deffinately favoured.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:25 pm

andy_taff wrote:I think it's a good idea, a few of us may have had articles in the magazines back in the 80's and it would be good to read them again.

Would also be good if anyone else would do the same i would but i binned my full set of Your Sinclairs back in 92 when i had kids but would like to read them again.

Preservation is deffinately favoured.
I have a complete set of Your Sinclair in PDF, ditto Amstrad Action and Super Play.

What I want most is Commodore Format (I know it exists) and Amiga Power I have 4-5 issues).

But I suspect Imagine doesn't want us swapping DVDs of other companies mags on here :)

Markie

Post by Markie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:39 am

Hi guys

I've got the Crash, Zzap!64, Amtix and Games Machine scan DVDs kindly sent to me by Mort, who did an incredible job of scanning in tens of thousands of pages.

It was kind of him to send them to me, as it's mostly my body of work work! :)

At Imagine, we just LOVE magazines, whether it's rival mags or not! Personally, I value Future's 'Total' nintendo mag 1-20 as perhaps some of the finest computer mags ever produced (mine are in mint condition!).

As long as it's not illegal, we've no problem with other mags being swapped on here at all! As long as we can have some too! heheh!

Some of my fave mags I'd love to get hold of:
LM (remember that??)
Commodore Format
Total (mmmmmm!!!)
Amiga Power

Plus, pretty much every newsfield mag I worked on including:
Movie (Newsfield film magazine!), Fear, Pre-Press with the Macintosh,, CCEG, Sega Force (and all it's spin-offs), N Force (and all it's spin-offs).

I actually think there's a real market for 'classic mags' on DVD. I've just got to make sure we keep all our backup discs then for 20 years time!
:D

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:24 am

It's not illegal is debatable of course.

My view is that we're fine so long as no-one charges.

Of the non-buyable from mort ones I have Amstrad Action complete (partly from CPC oxygen with the missing issues there scanned by myself), Your Sinclair and Super Play complete.

I need Commodore Format!
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:30 am

Well go ask him then ;)

(and yes, it's out there cos I helped on it. Especially the cover tapes. Sheesh, did some of those not want to be transfered to emulator format!)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:44 pm

Markie wrote:Hi guys
Some of my fave mags I'd love to get hold of:
LM (remember that??)
Commodore Format
Total (mmmmmm!!!)
Amiga Power

Plus, pretty much every newsfield mag I worked on including:
Movie (Newsfield film magazine!), Fear, Pre-Press with the Macintosh,, CCEG, Sega Force (and all it's spin-offs), N Force (and all it's spin-offs).

I actually think there's a real market for 'classic mags' on DVD. I've just got to make sure we keep all our backup discs then for 20 years time!
:D
I bought just about all the Newsfield mags (apart from the Mac mag and the Sega and Nintendo force ones). I wish LM had lasted a bit longer - Itt was ahead of its time and unfairly got lumped in with the likes of 'The Face' - I found LM to have a lot more humour.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:51 pm

Mayhem wrote:Well go ask him then ;)

(and yes, it's out there cos I helped on it. Especially the cover tapes. Sheesh, did some of those not want to be transfered to emulator format!)
Go ask who? You can't get it from mort.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi guys,
Sorry I did not get to this thread earlier, still working hard to preserve the printed matter for the future, another point is I do try to get the scans available on sites for all to download to make the dvd purchase as voluntary as possible(do add value added stuff like tapes with help from Mayhem and others).

Roger Kean has been really supportive and helped me source a lot of very rare newsfield stuff and the old Retro Gamer guys used a lot of my scans for reference material so that was a big bonus. Ps check out gamebox64 for my other scanning work!

I have now scanned in complete sets of 20 mags (not all available for sale such as Futures) Commodore Zone another of my dvd`s I passed onto Kenz at Binary Zone to sell on his site as its he owns the ip and he now sells it rejigged as a nice digital history of this great 64 mag missing link! Commodore Format was passed onto Pj at the commy format site but he still has not updated it.

:(

Anyhow have a great Christmas Guys :D
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Crunchy

Re:

Post by Crunchy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:25 pm

Dudley wrote:
jasondarby wrote:Unless i have understood incorrectly, but then neither this guy or the other site have permission, so both are in the wrong.

Cant give the ebay guy more grief because he copied someone else who was doing something potentially illegal?

Jason
That's the thing, you're right legally.

Morally mort put a heck of a lot of working into preserving something that could well have been lost forever to most people. His DVDs pretty much just cover buying the mags to scan, running the website and replacing many many worn out scanners.

This guy is doing it purely for the money.
So is mort. He's doing it purely for the money irrespective of what he wants the money for. The other bloke might be doing it in order to buy a new car or whatever. Mort's doing it to buy more mags to scan, run his website and replace his scanners according to you. There's no moral high ground to be had here.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:04 pm

Sorry Crunchy I will have to disagree,
1. The money gets ploughed back into saving more mags (bugger where`s the Ferrari Keys)
2. Each mag takes about 8-24 months to scan and collate, The scans are made available to download either on the www.zzap64.co.uk site or Sinclair Heaven or World of Spectrum so it is purely a Voluntary purchase
3.Finally I don`t just burn a dvd a claim its my own work, and try to get permission when possible to do the dvd from the Ip holders (only got any feedback from Future and Newsfield(well Roger)) and there are lots of sets that cannot be sold but I have done which will be preserved and spread onto the net when I finally get permission.

I think I can sleep at night, but if you want to do some scanning feel free, I would gladly buy a set off you as its a dirty job but somebody has to do it :wink

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:58 pm

I know some of this having done the 7 or so Amstrad Actions you can't actually download at CPC Oxygen to complete my set. I'm considering doing the first 18 RGs but I understand the distribution of that is a trickier subject

Another resource, although horribly infrequent is alt.binaries.fullpost.magscans which is where I got Super Play and Your Sinclair.

I'm very tempted to start doing some of the Amiga mags, they're horribly underpreserved, especially Amiga Power but the last thing I need is Futures wrath :)

Also, mort if you want a complete AA set if you don't have it by other means I'd be more than happy to dispatch one in your direction.
Last edited by Dudley on Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:19 pm

I Plan to work on The One (Amiga and earlier Multiformat version), so that would be a start on the Amiga set, oh and have done for my own archive St Amiga Format complete set with Amiga format issues 1-20 also included.

Ps have helped with the New Oli Frey book with naming certain images for Roger where they were used in the computer mags and sourcing some otherwise lost artwork, so the scanning considered good or bad is useful for future reference :D

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:46 pm

Mort wrote:I Plan to work on The One (Amiga and earlier Multiformat version), so that would be a start on the Amiga set, oh and have done for my own archive St Amiga Format complete set with Amiga format issues 1-20 also included.

Ps have helped with the New Oli Frey book with naming certain images for Roger where they were used in the computer mags and sourcing some otherwise lost artwork, so the scanning considered good or bad is useful for future reference :D
For some reason I always bought The One when I had an Amiga. Strange because now I realise how much better Amiga Power really was. Even dumber I appear to have kept none of them. Arse.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:36 am

Sorry for being out of the loop about this, but has anyone done PCG yet? Would love to re-read the unreleased games feature again.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"