Whats any good playstation games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:54 am

NESHero wrote:WWF Smackdown (all tho ive lost all interest in the game, but in the day i enjoyed them heaps)
Smackdown 2 - Know Your Role I consider the best.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:32 am

andy vaisey wrote:
NESHero wrote:WWF Smackdown (all tho ive lost all interest in the game, but in the day i enjoyed them heaps)
Smackdown 2 - Know Your Role I consider the best.
Yep, number 2 is far better and runs quite well on a PS2 (you can see the difference when you choose to smooth textures). It has a better roster, a much better season mode, etc...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:33 am

NESHero wrote:Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken
Metal Gear Solid
WWF Smackdown (all tho ive lost all interest in the game, but in the day i enjoyed them heaps)
Anna Kornikover Smash Court Tennis (spelling)
Resident Evil Series

Im actually kinda new to all the PSX games myself.
Altho I had one in the day, I didnt really know much about its games, I was a huge N64 fanboy back then.
Im not fanboy anymore tho luckily :)
I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but the quote in your sig. It's an urban legend.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:33 am

Okay, I picked up syphon filter 2 for a measley 3 bucks......good game play...I reckon its pretty good.

Thanks for the response!
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

R1ze of teh r0botz

Post by R1ze of teh r0botz » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 am

DOOM doth rocketh
RoTR is undrated

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:33 am

Bomberman (brilliant with up to four players)
Super Pang collection (brilliant 2-player game)
Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, IX (brilliant RPGS with VII and VIII being the best)
Tomb Raider 1&2 (no comment needed)
Rapid Racer (great powerboat racing game)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (genius)
World's Scariest Police Chases (criminally underrated)
Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver (cool action-adventure)
Quake 2 (great port)
Doom (it doth rock, indeed :lol: )
Worms (brilliant fun)
Oddworld 1&2 (brilliant platformers)
Need for Speed III & IV (two of the best racing games)
Tenchu - Stealth Assassins (nice ninja game)
Micro Machines V3 (genius fun with up to four players)
Moto Racer 2 (great racing game)
Soul Blade (best fighting game on the PSX)
Last edited by Kai on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am

Dudley wrote:
NESHero wrote:Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken
Metal Gear Solid
WWF Smackdown (all tho ive lost all interest in the game, but in the day i enjoyed them heaps)
Anna Kornikover Smash Court Tennis (spelling)
Resident Evil Series

Im actually kinda new to all the PSX games myself.
Altho I had one in the day, I didnt really know much about its games, I was a huge N64 fanboy back then.
Im not fanboy anymore tho luckily :)
I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but the quote in your sig. It's an urban legend.
I don't think so. I think he actually said it. I remember when we had to setup EMS, XMS and all that we used to say "F*cking Bill Gates!"

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:I remember when we had to setup EMS, XMS and all that "
Oh yeah, I remember those annoying things vividly...

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:48 am

He really didn't. There's no source of him saying it and he denies saying it,despite the fact he admits to saying a lot of other stupid things. Plus you would have to believe he's immensely stupid and did at one time suddenly abandon, for one sentence only, everything else he's said ever. The 640kb limit wasn't to do with MS anyway, it was a consequence of the chips IBM used.

Also no-one can agree when he supposedly said it. It's pure fiction.

Bill himself, sometime in the 90s.
This is one of those "quotes" that won't seem to go away.

I've explained that it's wrong when it's come up every few years, including in a newspaper column and in interviews.

There is a lot of irony to this one. Lou Eggebrecht (who really designed the IBM PC original hardware) and I wanted to convince IBM to have a 32-bit address space, but the 68000 [a Motorola-designed processing chip, eventually used in the Apple Macintosh] just wasn't ready. Lew had an early prototype but it would have delayed things at least a year.

The 8086/8088 [the Intel-designed chip used in early personal computers] architecture has a 20-bit address bus [the mechanism used by the microprocessor to access memory; each additional "bit" in the address bus doubles the amount of memory that can be used], and the instruction set [the basic set of commands that the microprocessor understands] only generates 20-bit addresses.

I and many others have said the industry "uses" an extra address bit every two years, as hardware and software become more powerful, so going from 16-bit to 20-bit was clearly not going to last us very long. The extra silicon to do 32-bit addressing is trivial, but it wasn't there. The VAX was around and all the 68000 people did was look at the VAX! 2 to the 20th is 1 megabyte (1024K), so you might ask why the difference between 640K and 1024K—where did the last 384K go?

The answer is that in that 1M of address space we had to accommodate RAM [random access memory], ROM [read-only memory], and I/O addresses [Input/Output addresses used for "peripherals" like keyboards, disk drives, and hard drives], and IBM laid it out so those other things started at 640K and used all the memory space up to 1M. If they had been a bit more careful we could have had 800K instead of 640K available.

In fact, we had 800K on the Sirius machine, which I got to have a lot of input on (designed by Chuck Peddle, who did the Commodore Pet and the 6502, too). The key problem though is not getting to use only 640K of the 1M of address space that was available. It's the 1M limit, which comes from having only 20 bits of address space, which is all that chip can handle!

So, this limit has nothing to do with any Microsoft software.

Although people talk about previous computing as 8-bit, it was 16-bit addressing in the 8080/Z80/6800/6502 [all early processing chips]. So we had only 64K of addressability.

Amazingly people like Bob Harp (Vector Graphics—remember them?) went around the industry saying we should stick with that and just use bank switching techniques. Bank switching comes up whenever an address space is at the end of its life. It's a hack where you have more physical memory than logical memory. Fortunately we got enough applications moved to the 8086/8 machines to get the industry off of 16-bit addressing, but it was clear from the start the extra 4 bits wouldn't be sufficient for long.

Now you MIGHT think that the next time around the chip guys would get it right.

But NO, instead of going from 20 bits to 32 bits, we got the 286 chip next. Intel had its A team working on the 432 (remember that? Fortune had a silly article about how it was so far ahead of everyone, but it was a dead end even though its address space was fine). The 286's address space wasn't fine. It only had 24 bits. It used segments instead of pages and the segments were limited to 24 bits.

When Intel produced the 32-bit 386 chip, IBM delayed doing a 386 machine because they had a special version of the 286 that only they could get, and they ordered way too many of them.

It's hard to remember, but companies were chicken to do a 386 machine before IBM. I went down to Compaq five times and they decided to be brave and do it. They came out with a 386 machine! So finally the PC industry had a 32-bit address space.

We have just recently passed through the 32-bit limit and are going to 64-bit. This is another complex story. Itanium is 64-bit. Meanwhile, AMD on its own has extended the x86 to 64-bit.

Even 64-bit architecture won't last forever, but it will last for quite a while since only servers and scientific stuff have run out of 32-bit space right now. In three or four years the industry will have moved over to 64-bit architecture, and it looks like it will suffice for more than a decade.

Apollo actually did 128-bit architecture really early, as did some IBM architectures. But there are tradeoffs that made those not ever become mainstream.

A long answer to just say "no." I don't want anyone thinking that the address limits of the PC had something to do with software or me or a lack of understanding of the history of address spaces.

My first address space was the PDP-8. That was a 12-bit address space!

Even the 8008, at 14 bits, was a step up from that.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:00 am

Interesting. That's cleared then. Bill is responsible for a lot of stupid things but no this one. It was Intel's and IBM's fault then.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:17 am

My top 10 list of PSX games:

1. Tomb Raider II
2. MDK
3. Quake 2
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. Resident Evil series
6. Dino Crisis
7. Doom (you actually get 2 games in one package)
8. Wipeout XL
9. R-Type Delta
10. Cool Boarders 4

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:46 am

Q*bert.

It has the classic mode, plus an incredible adventure mode.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:06 am

8bitgamer wrote:Q*bert.

It has the classic mode, plus an incredible adventure mode.
Ah, a forgotten classic.