Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO [actually, no it doesn't]

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mr.zzapback

Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO [actually, no it doesn't]

Post by mr.zzapback » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:17 am

Yes, from issue 43 on.
Here's why:

• first, just because it's just too much (on a lot of different levels, and for many reasons) to publish +20 pages in a multiformat magazine, next to Retro Gamer.
• On the cover of Games™ issue 42 the 'platforms' Arcade and Retro are 'by accident' covered by the DS Lite.
• At the end of the RETRO part of the mag, Retro Gamer is being advertised as the Retro Gaming channel.
• On the Next Month in Games™ pages, there's not a word about any upcoming Retro feature in the next issue -of course, because their won't be one.

From now on, I'm sure, Imagine will stick to Retro Gamer as their voice for Retro Stuff, and give Gamesâ„¢ their 'making of' feature or whatever as a Retro Related Regular, sort of like Edge.

This is good news for Retro Gamer (the mag, the makers and readers) because all worthy Retro content will now be focused on one single magazine, ensuring its existence, quality and diversity.

It's good news for me too, because now I don't have to by Gamesâ„¢ anymore, a magazine I hate, and which I solely bought for the Retro bits.
As it costs € 10,- (7 BPS) over here, you understand my happiness.

I'm glad to inform you all, beforehand, about the smartest move Imagine could possibly make at this point.

Ta! 8)
*Creator of the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64* www.zzapback.com*

Kai

Re: Gamesâ„¢ drops RETRO

Post by Kai » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:44 am

mr.zzapback wrote: As it costs € 10,- (7 BPS) over here, you understand my happiness.
8)
That seems expensive, but it's even more expensive over here: €12,50. (almost 9 B.pounds)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:54 am

Is this offical news or just a rumour? :?

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:04 am

Ironically a lot of us here buy Games Tm for the retro section. Surely this will result in a dip, maybe not that signifcant, in sales.

Personally I have never been interested in the non-retro section of Games Tm as Edge satifies all my reading interest there.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:52 am

Well, considering I've just written the past two retro sections for the magazine. You couldn't be more wrong.

The retro section is an essential part of gamesTM, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Just because Imagine has two retro mags, it doesn't mean that one of them is going to be closed down.

Morkin

Re: Games™ drops RETRO

Post by Morkin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:54 am

mr.zzapback wrote:
It's good news for Games™ as well. Their public won't be bothered anymore by Retro stuff, a part of the mag most of them skipped anyway, because they only want to read about the latest FPS, or interesting details about the next gen wars.
How do you know that most of them skipped it ?

cheeky_muffin

Post by cheeky_muffin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:02 am

Besides I thought that was Future's way of thinking (alledgely!) We buy some mags from a different publisher like C+VG. Hang on a mo, we have Gamesmaster in our stable. We best close down C+VG, never mind its 20 year history! :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Games™ drops RETRO

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:02 am

Morkin wrote:
mr.zzapback wrote:
It's good news for Gamesâ„¢ as well. Their public won't be bothered anymore by Retro stuff, a part of the mag most of them skipped anyway, because they only want to read about the latest FPS, or interesting details about the next gen wars.
How do you know that most of them skipped it ?
It's pure speculation. Nothing more, nothing less

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:36 am

cheeky_muffin wrote:Besides I thought that was Future's way of thinking (alledgely!) We buy some mags from a different publisher like C+VG. Hang on a mo, we have Gamesmaster in our stable. We best close down C+VG, never mind its 20 year history! :lol:
C+VG was closed before Future bought it. They bought the website and the rights to restart the magazine.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:04 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well, considering I've just written the past two retro sections for the magazine. You couldn't be more wrong.

The retro section is an essential part of gamesTM, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Just because Imagine has two retro mags, it doesn't mean that one of them is going to be closed down.
Glad to hear it - I've bought every issue of it, primarily for the Retro section.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:55 am

mr.zzapback wrote:Yes, from issue 43 on.
Here's why:

• first, just because it's just too much (on a lot of different levels, and for many reasons) to publish +20 pages in a multiformat magazine, next to Retro Gamer.
• On the cover of Games™ issue 42 the 'platforms' Arcade and Retro are 'by accident' covered by the DS Lite.
• At the end of the RETRO part of the mag, Retro Gamer is being advertised as the Retro Gaming channel.
• On the Next Month in Games™ pages, there's not a word about any upcoming Retro feature in the next issue -of course, because their won't be one.

From now on, I'm sure, Imagine will stick to Retro Gamer as their voice for Retro Stuff, and give Gamesâ„¢ their 'making of' feature or whatever as a Retro Related Regular, sort of like Edge.

This is good news for Retro Gamer (the mag, the makers and readers) because all worthy Retro content will now be focused on one single magazine, ensuring its existence, quality and diversity.

It's good news for me too, because now I don't have to by Gamesâ„¢ anymore, a magazine I hate, and which I solely bought for the Retro bits.
As it costs € 10,- (7 BPS) over here, you understand my happiness.

I'm glad to inform you all, beforehand, about the smartest move Imagine could possibly make at this point.

Ta! 8)
Oh, yeah, you're right: and Paul McCartney is dead because he has no shoes on on the cover of Gtm issue 42, and you can't see him because he's invisible.

I have been buying Gtm for ages now, for the complete package. I know loads of people who read it because of both modern and retro coverage. It's the mag's USP, for f**k sake. If they got rid of it they'd just be a less up their own arse Edge.

And don't buy it if you hate it.
Last edited by Smurph on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:56 am

Can I suggest a thread title change? Because I almost had a heart attack when I read it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:24 am

Keep it civil, Smurph. Sure, Rob jumped the gun here, but so what?

merman—thread title changed!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 am

Smurph wrote:
Oh, yeah, you're right: and Paul McCartney is dead because he has no shoes on on the cover of Gtm issue 42, and you can't see him because he's invisible. Nob.

I have been buying Gtm for ages now, for the complete package. I know loads of people who read it because of both modern and retro coverage. It's the mag's USP, for f**k sake. If they got rid of it they'd just be a less up their own arse Edge.

And don't buy it if you hate it.
Ha ha ha ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats the best post i've read on here all month

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:48 am

GamesTM is fine the way it is both new and retro content.

Much better than edge :wink: