Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!
Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed
- Posts: 852
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:30 am
- Location: Tamworth UK
ok what do you think are some of the best and biggest in game explosion on 8bit 16bit and 32bit home and arcade games.
xenon on the speccy had decent explosion
axeley on the snes had good explosion, especially when have just defeated an end of level boss
and on doom for the playstation had some cool
in game explosions.
Press play on tape
- Posts: 5903
- Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
- Location: Playing the victim apparently?
akuma's raging demon - screen goes white and all you see is about 16 hit explosions
- Posts: 41
- Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:59 pm
- Location: Edinburgh
quite liked the planet destruction scene in 'Captain Blood'
probably the only decent thing in the game.
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:20 am
It may be a popular choice but I really liked the ship blowing up in Defender and the way the debris scattered. Also Galaxy Ranger on Laserdisc Arcade even though it was just a piece of film!
Fighter Pilots in Sector Wars - play Astro Blaster!
- Posts: 3844
- Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am
- Location: The Cave of Monsters (AKA Stoke!)
Wizball's explosion when the Wiz seems to shatter into about a thousand particles was cool...
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:07 pm
- Posts: 678
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:18 am
- Location: East Devon
Lots of good ones mentioned but Dropzone on the C64 was always quite good i thought and also on the Amiga the really deep sounding explosion you'd sometimes get in Silkworm
- Posts: 14272
- Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
- Location: 21st Century Earth
Death star exploding in Star Wars
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"
- Posts: 20261
- Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
- Location: Planet Sinclair
There was an AtaRI ST game that I got not long after getting the machine. Can't remember the name bit it was a top down vertical shmup. For the time the explosions were unbelievably big and real looking. Anyone know what it was called?
- Posts: 6546
- Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
- Location: Skegness, UK
Paradroid and Uridium on the C64...
(Oh, and the enemies on Zelda Wind Waker
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube
- Posts: 1462
- Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 am
- Location: Shadow Moses Island, Fox Archipelago
Super Mario World - when the castle would blow up after defeating one of the koopa kids - classic.
- Posts: 859
- Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:09 pm
- Location: The Diabolical Demon Director
I guess it counts as an exposion - the smart bomb in Contra III! Accompanied by one of videogaming's greatest sound effects.
- Posts: 682
- Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 am
- Location: Kiel, Germany
- Posts: 379
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:42 pm
- Location: Dover, Kent
SWIV on the Amiga had some quite meaty explosions in it, with cool SFX to boot.
- Posts: 1767
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm
The explosions caused by the bombs in Die Hard With A Vengeance on Die Hard Trilogy are incredible! Whether you destroyed it or not you'd hear an incredible sound effect, followed by a huge wave of flames and the sight of things (cars, people etc) being thrown into oblivion!
Well, that's what I remember anyway. Hven't played it for ages.
"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests