Great Cover, Cr@p Game!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is game art really that important?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 34

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:16 am

or how about crap game art for games that were actually really good? Sure there must be plenty of these on early c64 / speccy games.. :)

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
Kaede wrote:
yethboth wrote:I have bought some games in my time where the cover art has been highly misleading i.e. what you see on the front cover does not always represent on what the game actually is. So yes, I think Cover Art is highly important.

:lol:
That's a classic what a ridiculous cover, I've got a copy of this and it's even more stupid lookin in the flesh!!
LOL, that's my all-time favourite game cover (seriously)!

Fantastic game too! :D
真・豪鬼

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:44 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:
Kaede wrote: Image

:lol:
That's a classic what a ridiculous cover, I've got a copy of this and it's even more stupid lookin in the flesh!!
LOL, that's my all-time favourite game cover (seriously)!

Fantastic game too! :D
It is funny has to be said and the game is great, it's just the most ill- informed choice for a cover ever!!

The jap and pal covers were quite nice in comparison:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Kaede wrote:Game art is very important. It's a shame Western companies don't take note of this fact.
Hell no. I dont care if its a black cover as long as the games great. Game art is not that important compared to gameplay and many other factors.

In the early 80's a lot of games had great covers which invited you to buy it but then once you loaded up the game you were so disappointed. I was happy when Firebird and other companies started showing screenshots on the front covers of games.

I'm glad western companies dont take note of your request

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:26 pm

That may have been fine for shitty, budget, cassette games in the 80's, but by the time companies were charging £40, £50, £60 for console games I expect a bit more time to go into the package as whole than hideous crap like this:

It's surprising that a forum for video game collectors could have such indifference for such an important part of the product they buy.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:06 pm

It nice to have a good looking box, and I do wish companies paid more attention to the packaging, but having said that the box artwork contributes absolutely nothing to my decision of whether to buy a game or not. At the end of the day it's the game that matters and a naff box doesn't make a good game worse, nor does a great box save a turkey.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm really not bothered about the cover art - the only part of the cover art I look at is the screen shot (and the compatibility section for PC games) :D

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:34 am

Kaede wrote:I expect a bit more time to go into the package as whole than hideous crap like this:

It's surprising that a forum for video game collectors could have such indifference for such an important part of the product they buy.
Whats wrong with this Boxart..? It has good pictures of three main controllable characters, it gives a good idea of what the game is about and that censored Ryu is on his on his ar5e again :)

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:19 am

Kaede wrote:That may have been fine for shitty, budget, cassette games in the 80's, but by the time companies were charging £40, £50, £60 for console games I expect a bit more time to go into the package as whole than hideous crap like this:

I'll never forget when SFII was released for the SNES - I waited months on end and then when it was released this was the sight I was greeted with in the shops. Luckily I was so obsessed with the game it didn't really register.

It really is a contender for "worst western box art ever." The Japanese version was infinitely better. That goes for SFII Hyper fighting too.
真・豪鬼

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:30 am

sebadude wrote:or how about crap game art for games that were actually really good? Sure there must be plenty of these on early c64 / speccy games.. :)
Any of the early Megaman Nes games are a shoe in. The USA boxart for Mega Man is terrible yet the game is quite the opposite.
Resident Evil for the Playstation was another, bad box art but great game (Capcom should really get rid of whoever was incharge of boxart!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 am

Speaking of Capcom and video game art, I got this a couple of weeks ago:

224 pages of Capcom artwork, covering everything from Black Tiger, Forgotten Worlds and Strider, right up to Street Fighter 3, Capcom Vs SNK 2 and Power Stone. Absolutely stunning book, only downer is that there isn't enough stuff devoted to the GnG series. :(

Last edited by Kaede on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:12 am

Man, that book looks amazing! I'd love to get my hands on that. Where'd you get your copy?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:38 am

Got my copy from benippon, but I see it's also available from Play Asia. :)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:49 am

How camp is this? :lol:

Looks like it is the other way round, Great Game but Terrible looking cover! :lol:

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:58 am

Exactly. And the original art for Final Fight was quality:

EDIT: Yes I realised this was an updated version for the Sega CD version.