Crash Magazine scanned on dvd's & on sale on eBay ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Crash Magazine scanned on dvd's & on sale on eBay ?

Post by Morkin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:43 am

Every day, I get a nice little email when issues of Crash are put up for sale (I'm hoping to bag some dirt cheap issues). Today this item was listed in the email & for the bargain price of £2.99.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1

Is this legal ? I'm sure I read an article about someone who scanned lots of magazines (was he called Mort ?) but ran into some trouble with selling them on dvds. Or was that to do with Super Play Magazine ? :?

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8681
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:52 am

Mort sells the DVDs to cover the costs of the 6 scanners he's broken scanning the mags. Future asked him to stop selling the ones they published which he was now done.

I believe he scanned crash so technically this is ripping off his work, except technically he was ripping off someone else's in the first place.

Tricky. I'd personally probably rather support mort by buying "the proper one" from his site.

User avatar
andy vaisey
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:00 pm

The original DVD's can be bought here:

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzuperstore.html

The Newsfield mags are still for sale, but Future Publishing mags have been withdrawn after their nice legal person asked... idiots...

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Post by LeeT » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:01 pm

I think Roger and Oli have visted the 'Def Guide' site and forum, and (as far as I know) they don't mind about the Newsfield scans.

Though obviously this guy is likely to be passing Mort's scans as his own work, which is a bit naughty! :roll:

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8681
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:14 pm

LeeT wrote:I think Roger and Oli have visted the 'Def Guide' site and forum, and (as far as I know) they don't mind about the Newsfield scans.

Though obviously this guy is likely to be passing Mort's scans as his own work, which is a bit naughty! :roll:
Yeah the thing is, legally there's nothing simply because Mort doesn't technically have any right to do it either.

We'd all agree it's a bit shitty though.

And if someone WAS going to do it I wish they'd do it with the commodore format ones. I need those issues and I can't get them at all now :(

jasondarby
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: Bromsgrove UK
Contact:

Post by jasondarby » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:16 pm

Unless i have understood incorrectly, but then neither this guy or the other site have permission, so both are in the wrong.

Cant give the ebay guy more grief because he copied someone else who was doing something potentially illegal?

Jason

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8681
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:17 pm

jasondarby wrote:Unless i have understood incorrectly, but then neither this guy or the other site have permission, so both are in the wrong.

Cant give the ebay guy more grief because he copied someone else who was doing something potentially illegal?

Jason
That's the thing, you're right legally.

Morally mort put a heck of a lot of working into preserving something that could well have been lost forever to most people. His DVDs pretty much just cover buying the mags to scan, running the website and replacing many many worn out scanners.

This guy is doing it purely for the money.

User avatar
andy vaisey
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:24 pm

As LeeT has stated, the Newsfield people themselves don't see it as a problem, otherwise they too would have asked the sale of DVD's to stop.

I'm wondering whether, though, they still "own" the rights to ZZAP! et al.? When Newsfield went bust, woudn't all rights have been bought by the new owner, a bit like Imagine buying the rights to RG?

Anyway, all Mort is doing is off-setting the cost of scanners and mag purchase. Plus he has preserved for the masses, what in a few years time would have been lost...

The Ebay guy is yet another person wanting to cash in on Morts hard work, assuming they are ripped off.

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8681
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:25 pm

Well the only way to find out is for one of us to buy one and compare them.

Not sure what we'd do with that info apart from leaving negative feedback though.

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re:

Post by Morkin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:28 pm

Dudley wrote:Mort sells the DVDs to cover the costs of the 6 scanners he's broken scanning the mags. Future asked him to stop selling the ones they published which he was now done.

I believe he scanned crash so technically this is ripping off his work, except technically he was ripping off someone else's in the first place.

Tricky. I'd personally probably rather support mort by buying "the proper one" from his site.
Ah right. Thanks for clearing that up ! :) If I decide to purchase a dvd, I'll do it via Mort.

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8681
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:41 pm

Morkin wrote:
Ah right. Thanks for clearing that up ! :) If I decide to purchase a dvd, I'll do it via Mort.
Plus the Mort ones are really well presented. This guy is basically offering a disk in a plastic wallet.

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 pm

andy vaisey wrote:As LeeT has stated, the Newsfield people themselves don't see it as a problem, otherwise they too would have asked the sale of DVD's to stop.
It is, however, worth noting that Roger, Oli et al no longer own the rights to most of those all magazines, nor their IP. For instance, Crash was sold to another publisher (well, "swapped" for some crappy ST mag), while Zzap!'s IP will now be owned by the Impact liquidator/administrators. Roger and Oli only own rights to things like logos and artwork that remained Oli's own work, and any of the writing that they themselves did. I suppose the moral rights remain with the old gang, and it's pretty clear that Roger and Oli still love the old days and welcome retro projects, such as z107 and Rob's tribute. I imagine they're not bothered one way or the other about Mort's scans.

Future is a different case: the company is still solvent, so it likely still owns the IP for most or all of its own magazines, although not necessarily the contents within.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8681
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:59 pm

CraigGrannell wrote: Future is a different case: the company is still solvent, so it likely still owns the IP for most or all of its own magazines, although not necessarily the contents within.
To be honest I understand their position, they've only cracked down on sites selling their work (even if it's non-profit). They've chosen to be blind to the sites with Amstrad Action and Your Sinclair scans posted entirely for free (don't tell me they don't know about them) and for that I thank them.

So now all I need is someone to make a site where I can get Commodore Format free. Please? ;)

User avatar
Ghostbiscuit
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Lahndahhn

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:17 am

I was about to link you to the previously wonderful http://www.commodoreformat.co.uk, but it's not there no more! I've not looked for a while, what happened? Did Future step in?

EDIT: Well, it's loaded now, but it's not working. Another retro casualty?

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Re:

Post by LeeT » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:11 am

Ghostbiscuit wrote:I was about to link you to the previously wonderful http://www.commodoreformat.co.uk, but it's not there no more! I've not looked for a while, what happened? Did Future step in?

EDIT: Well, it's loaded now, but it's not working. Another retro casualty?
The webmaster of that site does an update, disapears for a couple of years then comes back...at least, thats what has happened in the past!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests