Great Cover, Cr@p Game!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is game art really that important?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 34

gmintyfresh

Great Cover, Cr@p Game!!!

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 am

Burning Force on the Megadrive for me:

A true travesty of a Space Harrier rip off it's slow, unresponsive, ugly, and almost unplayable. Beautiful anime art though

image taken from www.segagagadomain.com, great site check it out

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 am

Game art is very important. It's a shame Western companies don't take note of this fact.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 am

Game art is not important to me in the slightest.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GovanGer

Post by GovanGer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 am

Not important to me at all.

It might make me take notice of a game on a shop shelf, but when I get home I am hardly going to sit staring at the box all night.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:25 am

Its only important for games you don't know much about. Usually I'll have a vague memory of a title before picking it from the shelf, but now and then the box art catches my eye and I'll scan the back to see what's what.
Its not nearly as important as screenshots are for the final decision though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Beef

Post by Beef » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 am

It used to be important back in the days of Mega Drive and NES, because you couldn't really just look the game up on the internet, find reviews etc. You walked into the shop and looked at the covers and you pick those games up first. Nowadays if a good game comes out you just see adverts or you know exactly what it's like with the internet via Youtube, forums whatever

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 am

It is very rare I would buy a game that I don't already know about, so it probably isn't important anymore.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:21 pm

Couldn't care if the game came in a lovely box or a dustbin. I always wait for reviews from reliable sources and base my buying decisions on that, as well as a chance to play a demo or whatever.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate some of the absolutely fantastic game art out there though...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:21 pm

only import nuts are worried about western box art ...

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Take a look at Rise Of The Robots & Assassin's Creed, great artwork cover & promotion but rubbish or average games when you load. Ok AC being much better than ROTR but for what you think you are going to get when first looked at, it will let you down badly in my case anyway becuase I know a few people in the forum like AC.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:15 pm

It's not so important that it's a deal breaker, but I do take notice. For example if I see a certain game on the shelf and there are copies for both the Megadrive and SNES, I'll usually take whichever has the nicer box art (providing they're not the same, obviously) unless there's a discernable difference in the games themselves. Same with Saturn and PSone games, although there's more likely to be a difference in the game as the PS generally did 3D games best and the Saturn excelled at 2D.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:27 pm

It's not OVERLY important, but I'd like a quality game to come in a quality looking box.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:18 am

I have bought some games in my time where the cover art has been highly misleading i.e. what you see on the front cover does not always represent on what the game actually is. So yes, I think Cover Art is highly important.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:16 am

yethboth wrote:I have bought some games in my time where the cover art has been highly misleading i.e. what you see on the front cover does not always represent on what the game actually is. So yes, I think Cover Art is highly important.

:lol:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:54 am

Kaede wrote:
yethboth wrote:I have bought some games in my time where the cover art has been highly misleading i.e. what you see on the front cover does not always represent on what the game actually is. So yes, I think Cover Art is highly important.

:lol:
That's a classic what a ridiculous cover, I've got a copy of this and it's even more stupid lookin in the flesh!!