Is Retro Gamer exclusively video?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:00 pm

MC1 wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Pinball fans go on and on about this, trying to be accepted by real gamers and trying to fill our magazine with their boring rubbish.. Lets face it, there is no way there will ever be a Pinball magazine on the shelves of your local newsagent because it would never sell so they get all sulky and want everyone else to put up with their junk.

Pinball games have nothing to do with Videogames at all, have no baring on the evolotion of gaming and if they were never invented only leather jacket wearing, 1950's grease loving freaks would miss them.

If we include Pinball machines then anything that accepted a coin would have to be included such as fruit machines, coin changers, those chocolate machines that you used find on train platforms, tampon machines from out the girls loo etc etc..
Dont forget Johnny machines too.
Yes. Thanks for your input. Well done.
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Nitters wrote: Yes. Thanks for your input. Well done.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

revgiblet

Re: Is Retro Gamer exclusively video?

Post by revgiblet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:30 pm

SirClive wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Nitters wrote:without pinball there would be no space invaders, no pong and (probably) no video games
Is there even a shred of evidence to support this claim?
I don't really care either way about pinball and have enjoyed the odd game in the past, but to make that statement is ridiculous.

Its like saying that without the bicycle we would not have air travel.
The irony, of course, is that this statement is technically true, as the Wright Brothers learnt a lot about the mechanics of air travel from their work on bicycles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_brothers
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:35 am

felgekarp wrote:What about pinball machines that do feature video game sections, there's a fair few that do have mini games in them ?
There is a certain amount of crossover in some of the newer pinball machines.
It still isn't really a 'video game' though, is it?
This type of 'video' based mini-game thing was first implemented using LED boards as I remember, I think there are some (old hand-held game style) LCD ones out there as well, as well as the more modern ones that use full colour pixel-based LCD screens.

Have any of the video bits of Pinball machines ever been converted to MAME or anything?
Not saying there should be an article on it, just asking ;)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:42 am

GarryG wrote: Have any of the video bits of Pinball machines ever been converted to MAME or anything?
http://pinmame.retrogames.com/shots.html

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:06 am

Nitters wrote:Yes. Thanks for your input. Well done.
I want one of those so:

Pinball isn't really a game at all - If a kid who is not only deaf, but also dumb and blind can play it then where's the skill in that.

Perhaps we should ask him if he wants pinball features in the mag?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:39 am

Bollocks, Pinball is a highly-skilled game that takes years to master, as well as a special sort of brain.

I say this having seen a guy in a small Welsh village, Stan "The Man" (he was a transvestite) who despite having dubious social skills could play the table in the local arcade for hours without losing a ball. We thought he'd just managed somehow to learn every intricacy of this particular board, but when they replaced it one summer with a brand spanking new one, he was just as accomplished on that.

I love Pinball, but I suck real hard at it. I'm looking forward to the article. And if nothing else, things like Visual Pinball and PinMAME are totally deserving of coverage.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 am

The Master wrote:Bollocks, Pinball is a highly-skilled game that takes years to master, as well as a special sort of brain.
I'd agree you would have to be a bit "special" to enjoy Pinball....

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:28 am

GarryG wrote:
felgekarp wrote:What about pinball machines that do feature video game sections, there's a fair few that do have mini games in them ?
There is a certain amount of crossover in some of the newer pinball machines.
It still isn't really a 'video game' though, is it?
This type of 'video' based mini-game thing was first implemented using LED boards as I remember, I think there are some (old hand-held game style) LCD ones out there as well, as well as the more modern ones that use full colour pixel-based LCD screens.
Notice I never said they were video games it was just Antiriad was saying that all pinball tables were fixed with nothing changeable, I'm of the impression that these types of tables have as much relevance as say Game & Watch games and TomyTronic type stuff, although I'm not going to argue on that with anybody.
Splink!

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:12 pm

There are some interesting pinball conversions of classic video games, using the origional sprites, effects and sounds and stories and game modes. Mr Do! is the best I have played but there are other great ones.
Just where is Mickey T?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:21 pm

I don't understand this whole 'stories' thing for pinball. How can it have a story?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I don't understand this whole 'stories' thing for pinball. How can it have a story?
Characterisaztion and events that unlock other events. go from a to b to arrive at c, the same building blocks as novels movies and games.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:26 pm

forgot to add this

http://www.mrdo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mrdopinball.htm

One of the simplest Mr Do! tables to get working, everything you need is on the page, check it out and see what you think.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Nitters

Post by Nitters » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Dudley wrote:
#define QUESTION ((bb) | !(bb)) - Shakespeare.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Nitters wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com