Desert Island Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Desert Island Games

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Pick your top 5 games of all time(retro or otherwise)and why.

Heres my 5
In no order...

Super mario 64 - Im not the biggest platform fan but this was somthing else.... I may get round to completing it one day.

DukeNukem 3D - Doom was good granted, but duke was so much more.....fun. Deathmatch was great with those wepons. Tripmines,pipebombs,shrinkray etc

Kickstart 2 - My fav C64 game, and £2.99 too!

Chase HQ - A big fan of arcade racers, would love to own my own cab.

Super Mariokart(SNES) - Ive played every version of mariokart and this version is still the best although the GBA version is very close.

rupert

Post by rupert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:59 pm

these arnt really in order as thats too difficult.

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World - truly incredible platformer, everyone really must play this at some point.

- Monkey Island - Totally engrossing game with great story, humour and visuals.

- Treasure Island Dizzy - One of the first platformers i can remember playing so this is mainly a nostalgia trip for me. great game though.

- Civilistation (1) - First time I ever plyed this style of game at the time and I was hooked, I went on to buy 2 and 3 but they never quite captured my imagination in the same way.

- Wonder Boy III: The Dragons Trap - simply stunning sms game, no sms collection would be complete without it. comes a very close 2nd to Alex Kidd, in some ways its better.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Havn't given this that much thought, and am just posting what comes to me at the moment, but here goes:

1. Gyruss: As it's probably my favourite game of all time, I've never got bored of it.

2. Civilisation II - I've gone with this version as although I've probably spent most time with the original, this seems the deeper game.

3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: As it's the perfect platform adventure, has possibly the finest game soundtrack of all time, and I've never finished the upside-down levels.

4. Suikoden II: Been playing this on and off for nearly ten years so maybe I'd actually get a chance to finish it.

5. Shenmue II: See above.

Also rans: Final Fantasy Tactics, Time Pilot, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Settlers II, Galaga, Elite, Raiden DX, Dragon Force, Sheep in Space, Mr. Do.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:12 am

FFVII
R-Type
3D Deathchase
180 Darts
Ratchet & Clank 2

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:35 am

SirClive wrote:FFVII
R-Type
3D Deathchase
180 Darts
Ratchet & Clank 2
and why? :wink:

(theres no kiss smiley on this forum to show your not being a t*at)

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:54 am

In no particular order...

Rub-A-Dub (PS3) - I WILL get those zero second scores that some seem to achieve one day!

Streets Of Rage (Megadrive) - The greatest scrolling beat-em-up of all time that I still love to play.

Tube-It (PS2/Arcade) - Such an addictive puzzle game...

Call Of Duty 4 (PS3) - The most immersive war-game ever. It's such a great game, and I need to learn how to aim alot faster with these thumbs!

Crazy Taxi 2 (Dreamcast) - A racing game with an elemenet of added super-duper-fun-dolops.

THe list could go on and on, but at the moment, these are the games I'd like to spend more time on, so a desert island would be perfect to finish them off!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:59 am

1) The lords of midnight
2) Sensible world of soccer
3) Mr Do !
4) Championship manager 02/03
5) Command and conquer

others that could easily slip in the top 5 - civilization 2 , crackdown , defender , lumines , jetpac , pro evo 2008 , call of duty 4 (only got this last night but its amazing).
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:30 am

rupert wrote:
R-Type
3D Deathchase
180 Darts
Ratchet & Clank 2

Soz, that was very lazy of me.

R-Type is probably the arcade game that I have played more than any other (even more than Outrun which I also love). How they got a non shmup fan so addicted to a shmup escapes me, I just love it.

3d Deathchase and 180 darts are 1 part nostalgia 2 parts wonderful gameplay. Proof that keeping things simple works.

FFVII - I have posted enough on this forum about why that game is superb, so I will just summarise it as an experience rather than a game.

Ratchet and clank games are my favourite game series ever. So good I bought a PS3 just to play R&C Future. The humour, the graphics, the fantastic gameplay, the stupid weapons. 2 was almost perfect. I am hoping Future has that missing something that puts it to the top of my list.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:30 am

R-Type is probably the arcade game that I have played more than any other (even more than Outrun which I also love). How they got a non shmup fan so addicted to a shmup escapes me, I just love it.
Mmm.. forgot R-Type. I'd be sorely tempted by R-Type Final though due to the ridiculous amount of different ships and stuff I could mess about with.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:18 am

SirClive wrote:
rupert wrote:
R-Type
3D Deathchase
180 Darts
Ratchet & Clank 2

Soz, that was very lazy of me.

3d Deathchase and 180 darts are 1 part nostalgia 2 parts wonderful gameplay. Proof that keeping things simple works.

FFVII - I have posted enough on this forum about why that game is superb, so I will just summarise it as an experience rather than a game.

Ratchet and clank games are my favourite game series ever. So good I bought a PS3 just to play R&C Future. The humour, the graphics, the fantastic gameplay, the stupid weapons. 2 was almost perfect. I am hoping Future has that missing something that puts it to the top of my list.
The new R&C PS3 demo can best be described as lush, ther's so much stuff going on in the background too, is it out to buy yet?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Yes, I bought it yesterday but haven't played it yet for 2 reasons.

1. Not had the time
2. Can't decide whether I need to go back to R&C 3 and complete it before starting this one.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Obviously, Desert Island Games aren't simply your favourite games, you've got to look for longevity. Sand-box style games, RPGs or strategy games are a winner, they'll help to pass a few sunbaked months.

Oblivion - A huge gameworld with lots to do and replay value by creating different characters.

Championship Manager 93 - Have played this for hundred's of hours already. sometimes as much as 12 hours straight and still not got bored with it.

Settlers II - Something about this one I just can't put my finger on. Sedate, serene... should help calm me down in those 'Aaarrrgh! Another bloody boat just sailed right by' moments.

Populous - No two games are ever the same, and having enough time on my hands to beat the ridiculous amount of levels would be nice.

Pokemon (probably the new one... Amethyst or something.) Just got into this recently, the combination of exploring, collecting and powering up little rat-like creatures is incredibly compelling. I could probably "catch 'em all" and level them all up to lvl.100 before being rescued.

IK+ - Just because I might get bored of strategy and slow development and get the urge to kick something in the face.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:37 pm

Thats true, maybe I would take Fable and Guild Wars if I was thinking about it on that basis.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 pm

No particular order:

1. Ultima Online (until about 2001/2002) (PC)
2. Half Life (PC)
3. Monkey Island 2 (Amiga)
4. Goldeneye (N64)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Guybrush wrote:No particular order:

4. Goldeneye (N64)
Aaaah, Goldeneye! It certainly would be fun to get all those time-cheats again. I remember driving my Uni mates up the wall by repeating facility on 00 Agent, trying to cut my time down. Got there in the end though.

However, there's a case for Perfect Dark. Not as well balanced a game obviously, but lots more content to unlock, secrets to find. I seem to remember a challenge mode that was a right bast.