Football Chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:04 pm

SexyWayne wrote:@sonic91 how many teams are still unbeaten in the league this season??
And which one is behind Man U? :wink:
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:17 pm

sleeper77 wrote:You know I was thinking about that after the match. It seems to me Benitez is more interested in the Premier League than Europe this season.
I don't believe that. Its not as if we are setting the world alight in the league. We have been mediocre and that is why we are 4th, just like pretty much every season for the last 10 years. We are a 4th place team at the moment and it will take more than getting knocked out of Europe or a new spanish striker to change that. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any improvement trophy-wise happening this season. Yes we are better than last season, but so are the 3 teams above us.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:07 am

SirClive wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:You know I was thinking about that after the match. It seems to me Benitez is more interested in the Premier League than Europe this season.
I don't believe that. Its not as if we are setting the world alight in the league. We have been mediocre and that is why we are 4th, just like pretty much every season for the last 10 years. We are a 4th place team at the moment and it will take more than getting knocked out of Europe or a new spanish striker to change that. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any improvement trophy-wise happening this season. Yes we are better than last season, but so are the 3 teams above us.

The Spanish striker could go a long way to sorting that, if he, you know, actually started some games. :wink:
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:59 pm

Well , I thought Benitez started this season playing his best 11
looks like he's buggered it up again

If he persists in chasing cups rather than the Premiership , he'll soon find himself out of a job , Champions League or no

His POV seems to be so out of synch with the majority of Liverpool fans , and although i've never been a fan , I can't help but feel sympathy for their frustration in having a manager who doesn't get how important winning a league medal is

Even asking the players , how many would willingly exchange their CL medal for a Premiership one?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:55 am

paranoid marvin wrote:His POV seems to be so out of synch with the majority of Liverpool fans , and although i've never been a fan , I can't help but feel sympathy for their frustration in having a manager who doesn't get how important winning a league medal is
Bless. If Liverpool don't want him then we here at Norwich will gladly take him off your hands :wink:

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:55 pm

Personally i can't believe all the negativity surrounding liverpool at the moment, ffs still unbeaten in the league, still a chance of getting into the last 16 of the CL, it may be a slim chance, but isn't slim liverpool's middle name?, all the negativity seems to be coming from the newer fans, bloody glory hunters :evil: i've supported them for nearly 30 years, believe me there have been worse times

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:01 pm

SexyWayne wrote:Personally i can't believe all the negativity surrounding liverpool at the moment, ffs still unbeaten in the league, still a chance of getting into the last 16 of the CL, it may be a slim chance, but isn't slim liverpool's middle name?, all the negativity seems to be coming from the newer fans, bloody glory hunters :evil: i've supported them for nearly 30 years, believe me there have been worse times
Thing is , imho , you've not had a team as good as this for a long time , you've never had a better opportunity of winning the Premiership than since the '80s. That's why I think it's so disappointing that your manager seems to be chasing European glory instead of concentrating on winning the Premiership
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:06 pm

i reckon the team of 96-97 was the best we've had for a longtime they really could have won the premiership, but didn't have the discipline off the pitch, and as best he tried roy evans just couldn't control them

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:29 pm

oh well, at least we're still unbeaten :roll: mind you this time last season we were already out of the title race :lol:

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 am

United will knock Arsenal off the top on Saturday and show the country that the top of the table belongs to us!

northern_gooner

Post by northern_gooner » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:28 pm

sonic91 wrote:United will knock Arsenal off the top on Saturday and show the country that the top of the table belongs to us!
:) Sure :wink:
My Sega collection, needs & trades :
http://www.freewebs.com/northern-gooner/

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:33 am

Ah well, no shame for either of the top two teams battling out a 2-2 draw. At least it was a good game and none of the violence we've seen in years gone by. Both teams look to have matured and despite the odd penalty appeals for either side the game was good, clean and well played. I'll look at it as not Man U losing 2 points, but Arsenal losing 2 points.

northern_gooner

Post by northern_gooner » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:16 am

sonic91 wrote:Ah well, no shame for either of the top two teams battling out a 2-2 draw. At least it was a good game and none of the violence we've seen in years gone by. Both teams look to have matured and despite the odd penalty appeals for either side the game was good, clean and well played. I'll look at it as not Man U losing 2 points, but Arsenal losing 2 points.
I agree it was a much better game than we have had for the last few seasons. With regards to 2 points lost, for our young team I think it will help them in the long run. 2 drawn games (Liverpool & United) that we could have easily lost (& in the last 2 seasons most probebly would have), will help the confidence.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:49 pm

northern_gooner wrote:2 drawn games (Liverpool & United) that we could have easily lost (& in the last 2 seasons most probebly would have), will help the confidence.
But didn't exactly the same happen last season?

northern_gooner

Post by northern_gooner » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:22 pm

SirClive wrote:
northern_gooner wrote:2 drawn games (Liverpool & United) that we could have easily lost (& in the last 2 seasons most probebly would have), will help the confidence.
But didn't exactly the same happen last season?
True, except for the 4-1 defeat at Liverpool, we had a very good record against the Big 3 teams, but lost against the smaller more muscular teams (Bolton, Blackburn, Sheffield United ect).
It seems the difference between this & last season is we have added a tougher side (I.E. against sides like Bolton & Blackburn ect we were muscled out & lost games).
Having played Liverpool & United & been behind in both of them, if we had lost then the confidence of the young players could drop & take a while to re-build. Having come back in both games to earn draws, I can only see the confidence getting higher, which bodes well for the future.