The all new Red Dwarf thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Captin Butler...yes I remember that. C4 if I recall...

It even had Kryten in it. I was alright, with a few decent jokes, but nothing compared to the laughs you would get with RD unfortunately.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:50 pm

I love Kryten, he's just great. I love the episode where they receive his distress signal & are tricked into going aboard, only to find his female crew mates are dead & rotting skeletons. I think it might even be called Kryten, can't remember, but it is really funny when The Dwarfers show their disappointment but Kryten just won't have it & then asks Lister how he knows they're dead & if he's a doctor! Brilliant!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 am

Does anyone have the series though, I thought it was quite Carry On like and pretty funny, maybe its rose tinted glasses syndrome though :wink:
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:24 am

1500graham wrote:I love Kryten, he's just great. I love the episode where they receive his distress signal & are tricked into going aboard, only to find his female crew mates are dead & rotting skeletons. I think it might even be called Kryten, can't remember, but it is really funny when The Dwarfers show their disappointment but Kryten just won't have it & then asks Lister how he knows they're dead & if he's a doctor! Brilliant!
The episode was indeed just called "Kryten".
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:03 am

Excuse the bump. Saved making another thread.

Is anyone here attending the Red Dwarf convention this weekend?
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:04 am

ZeroCipher wrote:Excuse the bump. Saved making another thread.

Is anyone here attending the Red Dwarf convention this weekend?

Didn't know there was one :cry: :cry: :cry:
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:48 am

Is that the annual Dimension Jump con?

I've never actually been but I went to the Trek Dwarf conventions in Leicester in the mid-90s.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:24 am

necronom wrote:I don't think the film will ever happen, and I'm not sure it would work now even if it did. RD started to go down hill when Rob Grant left after Series 6.
I think thats a bit harsh!!!!! What actually happened was Doug Naylor was basically told that no-one would put any money into a red dwarf movie unles the show started to look a bit glossier an professional, hence the different filming techniques, special effects etc. An the stories involved more people an larger sets rather than an entire series being set on starbug, kinda like more movie orientated episodes, an it worked, he got the money backing, it just that the movie didn't come off for one reason or another. Last I heard was that Craig Charles had signed to corrie for another 6 months so think RD movie is now jus the stuff of legends...

Shame Doug Naylor didn't stop to think that it was that sort of coffee break production style of show that made RD what it was!!!!

You can also see that while Rob an Doug worked very well together, they had completely different styles an ideas when it came to RD, to get an idea of this try reading "Red Dwarf - Backwards" by Rob Grant and "Red Dwarf - The last Human" By Doug Naylor. Both hilariously funny books and completely different to the series but both very different. Great reads though!!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 am

RetroENZO wrote:Is that the annual Dimension Jump con?
yeah, it's in peterborough this year.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 am

I thought Red Dwarf VIII was up there with some of the best episodes of the first six series. It certainly had some of the funniest lines ('the police don't like it when you get rat-arsed') and restored the bunk scenes. Red Dwarf VII is probably the weakest series of them all... BUT it's still more fun that most TV! I don't know about you, but I'd rather sit through Red Dwarf VII than Big Brother or X-Factor.

I think that they should have gone the whole way with the film look in Red Dwarf VII. They sort of went so far, and kind of gave up because they still had the canned laughter, which was added later. (Check the original Red Dwarf VII XTended video release if you don't believe me as this has three of the episodes extended with the audience laughter removed).
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:44 pm

RetroENZO wrote:I think that they should have gone the whole way with the film look in Red Dwarf VII. They sort of went so far, and kind of gave up because they still had the canned laughter, which was added later. (Check the original Red Dwarf VII XTended video release if you don't believe me as this has three of the episodes extended with the audience laughter removed).
Or you could just buy the 3-disc set of series 7. That DVD release has all of the original and extended epiosdes. You can also watch the original and extended versions of Tikka to Ride in a 'remastered' form. Basically, they took out the crappy CGI and replaced it with CGI that is at the quality of what it should have been.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:23 pm

Good point. I got that DVD set too.

I have all eight series on the 2 or 3 disc sets. I didn't buy the "Just the shows" sets. I kind of wish that the first three series on DVD also had "Remastered" versions with CGI FX.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Although with those shows they cut jokes to fit in FX.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:56 pm

There is a boxset coming out next month featuring all of the remastered editions, although I'd probably buy it for the extras (such as the re-built first episode).

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood