Robocop 2D 3 retro arcade shoot`em-up

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Eric

Robocop 2D 3 retro arcade shoot`em-up

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Robocop 2D3 now lets the player walk in all 8 directions more like a SOR/FFight beat`em-up,
now faster & with new graphic effects and easier 3 button controls.

We are aiming for retro game feel with lots of bullets and enemies and no modern
gameplay items to get in the way of the action such as puzzles, dance steps or quicktime events. :)

Pc, Mac(Intel) & Linux versions are all in the Robocop2D3.zip

http://www.parkproductions.btinternet.co.uk/

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm

Good, simple, copyright-infringing fun.
Played it a bit, I like the persistent corpses. Needs more varied enemies, the ability to turn while kneeling, and it should be easier to shoot boxes etc.
The time limits seem a bit unfair too - I was on my last life on the "lift" level in OCP, killing everything with ease, when my time ran out and I died. Perhaps Robocop got a flat battery?
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:42 am

Madge wrote:Good, simple, copyright-infringing fun.
Played it a bit, I like the persistent corpses. Needs more varied enemies, the ability to turn while kneeling, and it should be easier to shoot boxes etc.
The time limits seem a bit unfair too - I was on my last life on the "lift" level in OCP, killing everything with ease, when my time ran out and I died. Perhaps Robocop got a flat battery?
I can't understand the need for timers in action-fighters
Ok , in the arcade they had to shift people off the machines - no need to do that in the home though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:57 am

Timers were brought back to keep players moving along the level and for added challenge, find were the time pickups are in each level.

Always thought that enemies should remain on screen when killed in a side scroller, but I would think megadrive/snes would not have enough memory for this.

Turning while kneeling was tried in R2D 1 but is just didn`t look right.

Shooting the boxes needs to be done when kneeling, because the game was converted from R2D2`s sideon view to the 3D`ish Streets of Rage view bullets can now pass behind & infront of boxes. If the boxes are given a large hit z depth although then easier to hit it also means they can be hit even when Robocop is not in line with the box.

The timer is only replenished up to 99, so collecting a time pickup at 80-90 will mean most of the pickup will go to waste.

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:18 am

Eric wrote: Turning while kneeling was tried in R2D 1 but is just didn`t look right.
True, it'll never look "right," ie realistic, but it's a standard feature in run 'n' gun games.
I'll need to take a look at R2D1 and R2D2 (isn't that some other robot?) as well. Are they similar to the coin-op?

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 am

Eric wrote:Always thought that enemies should remain on screen when killed in a side scroller, but I would think megadrive/snes would not have enough memory for this.
S'more about hardware limitations, objects that size take several harware sprites from a SNES or Megadrive and they only have a finite number to use per scanline before the display generation starts to go squiffy in some way; if y'watch some of the busier Japanese shoot 'em ups (Thunderforce 3 springs to mind but i'd have to check if it's actually a good example) you can see some "tearing" in the sprites when the hardware gets overloaded.

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:59 pm

I just had a couple of goes on the first Robocop 2D and thought it was very cool. It's a very slick remake of Ocean's 8-bitter and I found it easier to play than the latest one because it's all on the one 2D plane. Check it out, everyone.
How do you "do" the bit where you have to rescue the woman from the thug without shooting her and losing heaps of energy?
I'm off to try the second one now...

Update: I tried it and got to level 5 on my first go. The difficulty hike there is pretty dramatic!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:55 pm

Cool to see Robocop remade. I remember it mainly on the arcade, I did try the Amiga version and although it was technically impressive it lacked the feel of the arcade and also (this might sound a bit trivial) but the use of the spacebar to jump mucked up the control system, why not use joystick up?

I played Robocop 2 a few times and it was ok, didn't have the same spark as the original.

Robocop 3 was another matter. Do you remember it? It was on the Amiga and you had to have a dongle fitted to played it. The dongle got cracked and there was a pirate version released! It was a good game, I think you had to use the mouse and it was sort of Operation Wolf style!

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:56 pm

Would Robocop be effected if he were bitten by a zombie?
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:58 pm

I think the zombie might break its teeth.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:51 am

Well it would definately be attracted to him , cos he still has a brain
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"