Post Your Controversial Views on Popular Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:08 pm

Dudley wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Here's one for you - Bioshock.

It's simply not as great as people are making out right now. Ok, so it's a good, solid FPS, I'm still playing and have been for about 4 hours, but there's really nothing amazingly innovative about it. I'd go as far to say I still prefer Half-Life 2 at this point.
I never play FPS games and I love Bioshock. It's the first one I'm likely to complete since Halo 1.
I haven't played Bioshock yet , but the storyline behind it certainly sounds interesting - and I will be buying it for the PC once A.The price is reduced on PLAY in about 3 weeks time and B. The first major patch is releasef.

Having played Halo for some time , it is one of the few FPS games that I DIDN'T feel the compulsion to complete
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:24 pm

GarryG wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:Street Fighter 2. Big bag of wank.
Is that one of the origonal characters then?

Or one of the Manymanymanymanymany, many, many, many,many,many,many... sequals, that all seemed to have names like ALPHA, MEGA, DX, EX, ESP, SUPPER CRAP, ULTRA, MEGA, UBER DUPPER, Oh and of course PLUS!!!!!

And they all looked the same :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:wink:
:x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:59 am

paranoid marvin wrote: I haven't played Bioshock yet , but the storyline behind it certainly sounds interesting - and I will be buying it for the PC once A.The price is reduced on PLAY in about 3 weeks time and B. The first major patch is releasef.

Having played Halo for some time , it is one of the few FPS games that I DIDN'T feel the compulsion to complete
Get the demo in advance, have a wonder round. I do mean a wonder, it's a game worth taking slow.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:22 am

Something went a bit wrong when I tried to download the Bioshock demo. It jumped from 42% complete to 1%. May have another go at downloading it today as I'm off work on the 'pat and mick'.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:24 am

I tried the demo and loved it.

Will probably get the full game in the next couple of months.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:14 pm

I really can't understand how LcooRoco gained such positive reviews. All the levels are identical (I actually thought they were starting to repeat!), the graphics are plain and dull and the music/sound effects make me want to sit in a corner crying.

It really is awful.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:32 pm

Global Defence Force on the PS2 is a fun enough game....in short bursts. It's so goddamn samey, level after level of ants, ants, spiders, more ants.......then a bit of originality with some robots, then MORE ANTS!!

I can forgive the cheap looking presentation for the cheap price but the game itself is a bloody sloppy PAL coversion, big black borders like the SNES Street Fighter games, and there's lots of 'pop up' scenery. The vehicles are crap in single player mode too, they're so tricky to control that the enemies (mostly ants and spiders) usually swarm you and destroy them before you can fire more than a couple of shots off.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:31 pm

pforson wrote:I really can't understand how LcooRoco gained such positive reviews. All the levels are identical (I actually thought they were starting to repeat!), the graphics are plain and dull and the music/sound effects make me want to sit in a corner crying.

It really is awful.
Didn't think it was that bad, just a bit 'samey' and dull after a while. The house minigame thing is completely flawed too meaning more frustration than fun. :(
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
pforson wrote:I really can't understand how LcooRoco gained such positive reviews. All the levels are identical (I actually thought they were starting to repeat!), the graphics are plain and dull and the music/sound effects make me want to sit in a corner crying.

It really is awful.
Didn't think it was that bad, just a bit 'samey' and dull after a while. The house minigame thing is completely flawed too meaning more frustration than fun. :(

I love it. Completed it once, revisited it recently and realised I'd forgotten how good it was. Its one of my essentials for my upcoming holiday. I can understand it might be a bit marmite, but I personally found it to be the most charming, lovable game I've played for years. Its sickly sweet, but I just can't resist those little Locos singing to me. I regularly find myself whistling the tunes too. At heart a simple platformer, but a slick one that warrants multiple play throughs with the various characters. Certainly makes my top games list.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:05 am

The problem is I really WANT to like it, but when i'm playing through a level and I lose one of my guys, or see a hidden area that I can't go back to I start to thingk "what's the point?" Just gonna have to start this level all over again to go back for it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:37 am

I like LocoRoco a lot. Simple, fun and rather cute. My only complaint is that it's way too short :(

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:00 am

FMV - I don't care what anyone says , I love it - even the cheesy stuff
WC3 & WC4 were great games because of the FMV , and where would the C&C/RA series been without the cheesy dialogue of Tanya and co?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:16 am

I always find myself loveing games that magazines hate and hating the popular games...

Brief rundown:

Elite (never liked it)
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts 'n' Goblins (too hard to be playable)
Green Beret (repetitive)
Splinter Cell and all the sequels (stealth is the worst gaming idea ever and they make a bad series of games about it - Ditto Hitman)
Halo (SOOOOOOO repetitive and the worst thing is they didn't fix the faults in Halo 2. I personally think the Farcry games are much better FPS games)
Mario and Zelda (are the Nintendo game creators on drugs? The only exception is Mario 64 which is just unmitigated fun).
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

sscott

stealth games

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:02 pm

Stealth games are rubbish, boy creeping around enemies is a lot more fun than blowing their heads off

paranoid marvin

Re: stealth games

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:06 pm

sscott wrote:Stealth games are rubbish, boy creeping around enemies is a lot more fun than blowing their heads off

I agree - with the exception of Manhunt
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"