Post Your Controversial Views on Popular Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13165
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

text adventures

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:05 pm

Bloody horrible! "I don't know what f*** you means" was often the respons I was given! Wrote my first adventure games in BASIC - would often go - NORTH - you are in a deep wood, SOUTH -you are dead, west - you are dead etc...always annoyed me how programmers say the learnt assembly language in 7 days or someting - swots!

User avatar
Frank Chickens
Posts: 926
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Brummieland

Post by Frank Chickens » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Mario - Jump into block, jump onto block, jump onto nasty..zzz

RPGs - Random number generator with fancy graphics.

Modern fighting games - memory tests disguised as beat 'em ups.

Matchday II - Action strategy game masquerading as an arcade game. Dubious AI as well.

Most footy games since the Amiga - apart from Total Soccer, modern games concentrate on looking good rather than playing well.

XIII on the PC - Looked forward to this coming out only to find I've wasted money on a slipshod port that looked and played like it was knocked out over the weekend with features that were working on the console versions but not the PC (quicksave option that was available but didn't work etc.). Ubisoft's reply to all this was 'we've got your money now p*ss off'. :x
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

User avatar
AlleyKat
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Boss Rush

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:19 pm

[quote="chewy"]How about whole Publishers?
I freakin' HATE Ubisoft. All their games promise way more than they deliver.

Worst publisher ever was Acclaim. They didnt release software so much as excrete the worst kind of licenced sh!t imaginable. Even EA at their laziest dont compare in terms of the sheer contempt that those fucks apparently had for their customers.

They will not be missed.

Also, any game with less than two colours (or more than sixteen) is sh!t.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

User avatar
DJevAL
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Post by DJevAL » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:32 pm

Already said by others...

But I'm always left cold and disapointed by modern soccer games. Sure they're getting more 'realistic' (well as far you can for soccer) but its little fun for me unless you're playing against a mate (and a mate who knows all the zillions of controls and can actually play it and give you a decent match!)

So yea they're trying to get as realistic as possible and you spend ages working out how to do all the special moves and touches...But where's the fun?? I've tried to like Pro Evo hell but I'm no where close to mastering a direct free kick on there ... Fifa ... ISS on the Playstation 1 was actually allright for a while ... but give me proper 2D soccer games any day ... Tecmo World Cup '90, Football Champ, Sensible Soccer, Microprose Soccer, etc any day!

User avatar
Scapegoat
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Leeds

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

Elite. Rubbish traiding game with a rubbish Star Raiders wannabe tacked on.

Sonic. Speed used to make up for zero gameplay.

Mario games. Oh look. Drying paint. Much more interesting.

Myst. I enjoyed my hernia operation more.

Street Fighter 2. Big bag of wank.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:51 pm

DJevAL wrote:Already said by others...

But I'm always left cold and disapointed by modern soccer games. Sure they're getting more 'realistic' (well as far you can for soccer) but its little fun for me unless you're playing against a mate (and a mate who knows all the zillions of controls and can actually play it and give you a decent match!)

So yea they're trying to get as realistic as possible and you spend ages working out how to do all the special moves and touches...But where's the fun?? I've tried to like Pro Evo hell but I'm no where close to mastering a direct free kick on there ... Fifa ... ISS on the Playstation 1 was actually allright for a while ... but give me proper 2D soccer games any day ... Tecmo World Cup '90, Football Champ, Sensible Soccer, Microprose Soccer, etc any day!
I agree - with all of the different combos available now , Pro Evo is more akin to a beat 'em up than a football game
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Shin_Gouki
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Shadow Moses Island, Fox Archipelago

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:50 am

I resisted the urge to post this in another thread...

Streets of Rage is rubbish. There is a multitude of better beat-em-ups out there. It's aged badly and looks horrible.
真・豪鬼

User avatar
GarryG
Posts: 3249
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:33 am
Location: The cold wet bit above England...

Post by GarryG » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:22 am

Scapegoat wrote:Street Fighter 2. Big bag of wank.
Is that one of the origonal characters then?


Or one of the Manymanymanymanymany, many, many, many,many,many,many... sequals, that all seemed to have names like ALPHA, MEGA, DX, EX, ESP, SUPPER CRAP, ULTRA, MEGA, UBER DUPPER, Oh and of course PLUS!!!!!

And they all looked the same :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:wink:

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Post by Sureshot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:37 am

Here's one for you - Bioshock.

It's simply not as great as people are making out right now. Ok, so it's a good, solid FPS, I'm still playing and have been for about 4 hours, but there's really nothing amazingly innovative about it. I'd go as far to say I still prefer Half-Life 2 at this point.

The world is gorgeously formed (although not totally to my taste - the 1950s stuff just doesn't do it for me), and the AI is intelligent, but the weapons are generally unsatisfying and feel a bit cumbersome to use. The genetic ability stuff is nice and adds something else to proceedings, but most of it has been done before - the telekenesis stuff can be seen in Second Sight and the Grav Gun in HL2, for instance.

Also, the hacking stuff is boring and pointless. It's like a primitive version of Pipemania which rapidly becomes a chore and is never too taxing - and yes, I am playing the game on 'Hard'. Past games like Paradroid have handled the issue of hacking in a far better way.

The respawn system is also a waste of time. In a game where you can save where you like, why bother having respawn tubes in which you spawn with half health, and usually with less ammo and items through your ordeal before dying? Ok, so some of the monsters you took on will have less health, which can be useful for the Rosies, but usually this only ends up with you doing one kamikaze run after another. This is hardly how it should be.

This feature is also poorly implemented. One time I was actually 'teleported' through a difficult area because I died closer to a spawn tube further along in the game, despite never having reached anywhere near its location previously; sloppy design.

Some of the general presentation is also lacking. The menus look like they've been put together in 5 minutes, for instance, and (although perhaps I missed it somehow), there is no introduction or scene setting. There are also one or two bugs in the game. For example, at one point, the guy you're talking to on the radio tells you to use the ADAM you recently extracted in a nearby machine, and to 'pick up another Plasmid slot if you have enough, as they are important'. I spent 20 minutes at that machine in the end, as these extra slots were nowhere to be found, and I wondered if I was doing something wrong. In the end I gave up, and discovered at a later machine that they would have been plainly listed if they were available.

Ok, so I'm picking at small things now. Don't get me wrong, Bioshock is good in a number of ways, but it just doesn't warrant the ridiculously high scores it's getting in the press at the moment (some journos are giving it 100% and 10/10, I mean seriously...) Perhaps they've seen something that I haven't yet.

User avatar
Xesh
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:50 pm
Location: Canterbury, Kent

Post by Xesh » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:26 pm

Sureshot wrote:.......but it just doesn't warrant the ridiculously high scores it's getting in the press at the moment (some journos are giving it 100% and 10/10, I mean seriously...) Perhaps they've seen something that I haven't yet.
They're probably giving it such high scores because they're getting a free copy or something.

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13165
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

PS3 Games

Post by sscott » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Man I've never been so underwhelmed by a console as the PS3. People complain about the price nut that's nothing compare to the software line-up. Motorstorm and V. Tennis ok, Oblivion will always be best on PC because of mouse/keyboard combo! Every major hardware publisher seems to have their time at the top and then blow it. Plus the best spec machine never seems to come out on top". The controller is great though and the built in wireless connection works really well. I have an atari VCS, 800xl, NES, SNES, Colecovision, MegadDrive, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, 360 and PS3 and I use the PS3 the least!

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: PS3 Games

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:44 pm

sscott wrote:Man I've never been so underwhelmed by a console as the PS3. People complain about the price nut that's nothing compare to the software line-up. Motorstorm and V. Tennis ok, Oblivion will always be best on PC because of mouse/keyboard combo! Every major hardware publisher seems to have their time at the top and then blow it. Plus the best spec machine never seems to come out on top". The controller is great though and the built in wireless connection works really well. I have an atari VCS, 800xl, NES, SNES, Colecovision, MegadDrive, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, 360 and PS3 and I use the PS3 the least!
I agree - Sony have had killer apps with their first 2 consoles from day 1 , and it's been a success to do so. Odd that they thought the PS3 could do without one
Of course when Metal Gear Solid comes out , the situation will change. Many people will not be able to resist buying the machine for that game alone
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: PS3 Games

Post by will2097 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:54 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
sscott wrote:Man I've never been so underwhelmed by a console as the PS3. People complain about the price nut that's nothing compare to the software line-up. Motorstorm and V. Tennis ok, Oblivion will always be best on PC because of mouse/keyboard combo! Every major hardware publisher seems to have their time at the top and then blow it. Plus the best spec machine never seems to come out on top". The controller is great though and the built in wireless connection works really well. I have an atari VCS, 800xl, NES, SNES, Colecovision, MegadDrive, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, 360 and PS3 and I use the PS3 the least!
I agree - Sony have had killer apps with their first 2 consoles from day 1 , and it's been a success to do so. Odd that they thought the PS3 could do without one
Of course when Metal Gear Solid comes out , the situation will change. Many people will not be able to resist buying the machine for that game alone
What came with the PS2? PS1 had Ridge :) And Wipeout in the EU.

...but the PS2 had... Ridge V? I don't remember it having anything for about 18 months. Did I miss something? Something good?

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:15 pm

TBH I thought RR V , Tekken Tag , Timesplitters and DOA 2 whilst maybe not killer apps , were at least decent games , and showed what the PS2 could do. And at least at the time , they were all desirable games

Of course the promise of updates of Gran Turismo , Resident Evil and MGS were another reason why people bought the machine . But importantly they bought the machine in anticipation of their release , whilst this time around gamers are waiting for them to be released before buying the machine , abviously in the hope that the price will have been reduced

As of today , imho there really is no reason to buy a PS3 over a 360
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8716
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:02 pm

Sureshot wrote:Here's one for you - Bioshock.

It's simply not as great as people are making out right now. Ok, so it's a good, solid FPS, I'm still playing and have been for about 4 hours, but there's really nothing amazingly innovative about it. I'd go as far to say I still prefer Half-Life 2 at this point.
I never play FPS games and I love Bioshock. It's the first one I'm likely to complete since Halo 1.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests