The 8-bit GAME COMPARISON Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:16 am

Isn't that picture supposed to be a monster in a lake?
Splink!

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:04 am

markopoloman wrote:Next up - we have Mastertronic's SPELLBOUND!
Nice one! It's good to see the c64 do well with a spectrum-esque style game.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:18 am

felgekarp wrote:Image

Isn't that picture supposed to be a monster in a lake?

Is it??? :? I just went by the Amstrad piccy and decided it was grass!!!

:roll: :lol:

emkay

Post by emkay » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:19 pm

markopoloman wrote: Graphics: OMG! OK, the Amstrad had PURPLE all over the place - but the Atari has graced us with GREEN! with grey and yellow - and that is it! I thought the Amstrad version look bad - but this just takes the pish. To make matters even more dire, it suffers from colour clash! Oh dear! On a plus point, the game runs smoothly. BUT YUK!
Well... perhaps one example of misfitting coding on the A8. This game easily could have been done in a mixed colour-hires-mode with 9 colours and without any extra CPU cost or highlevel coding, really.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:14 pm

emkay wrote:
markopoloman wrote: Graphics: OMG! OK, the Amstrad had PURPLE all over the place - but the Atari has graced us with GREEN! with grey and yellow - and that is it! I thought the Amstrad version look bad - but this just takes the pish. To make matters even more dire, it suffers from colour clash! Oh dear! On a plus point, the game runs smoothly. BUT YUK!
Well... perhaps one example of misfitting coding on the A8. This game easily could have been done in a mixed colour-hires-mode with 9 colours and without any extra CPU cost or highlevel coding, really.
I'm sure the Amstrad could have done better too
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:20 pm

emkay wrote:
any version could have been 4 times as nice. atmo all of them uses 'built in' non software driven gfx modes & all of them has the same amount of effort invested -> the HW differences shine out.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:09 pm

http://www.c64vsspectrum.com/
has 32 game comparisons although only for c64 and ZX Spectrum. The links are in the table at the bottom of that page

Take a look if interested..

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:02 am

Comparisons done by a biased commodore fan though.

oswald

Post by oswald » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:23 am

Well, atleast no pathetic stuff like on another similar page done by a spectrum fan, where he brought out dizzy games being better on the speccy bcoz of the gfx. (yes they are pixel perfectly the same on both machines :)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:09 am

Well, atleast no pathetic stuff like on another similar page done by a spectrum fan, where he brought out dizzy games being better on the speccy bcoz of the gfx. (yes they are pixel perfectly the same on both machines :)
Oh yes there is. The comparison of 'Robocop'. He admits the Speccy version has better playability:
The major difference between the games are the number of lives you get, on the Commodore one and on the Spectrum three. To be honest you uare going to need more than one life. The Commodore version is therefore much more difficult in my opinion, it therefore loses on playability to the Spectrum version, although not by much.
But gives the win to the C64 because:
The Commodore version however gets the vote, the graphics on the Commodore is much better than the Spectrum.
So, there si some of the same 'pathetic' bias.[/quote]
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:17 am

SirClive wrote:Comparisons done by a biased commodore fan though.
Who's cleverly used BMP as the format for the images, meaning they won't load in most browsers and take, ooh, about ten times as long to download as they should. *marks as 'never visit again' site*
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:30 am

He does seem to have generally picked games which were better on the C64 - Enduro Racer , a famously crap game on the C64 and a famously
good game on the Speccy is the only token offer of parity

Oh , and Dan Dare is FAR superior on the C64 to the Spectrum version , whereas Op Wolf is miles better on the Speccy than the c64
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 am

It is easy to pick some games to 'prove' that your machine is better. That one is far from unbiased. Thats why I like this thread, it is contributed to by many so doesn't have that flaw.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:04 am

I agree - a similar site comparing

Elite
Amaurote
Enduro Racer
Out Run
Thanatos
Turbo Esprit
virtually any Ultimate game

oh , and chuck in , say , Wizball or Bubble Bobble to show there was the occasional game that was better on the C64

and this would show the Speccy as by far the better machine
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

oswald

Post by oswald » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:31 am

paranoid marvin wrote:He does seem to have generally picked games which were better on the C64
picking games randomly would lead aswell to having games where most of them are better on the c64, so the only biased act regarding this is picking games where most of them are better for the speccy. ;)