Football Chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Dudley wrote:Yeah, that's what we need, international players deliberately playing badly to avoid being called up again.
No - If there is even the slightest hint of that kind of nonsence going on they are banned from playing professional football... That would only happen if the powers that be allow it to.

If you play football and are eligable for call up, when the call comes you play.
It is an honor to play for your country, and when they have that shirt on they should be proud to give 110%.

Scholes just decided he couldn't be bothered to play for his country anymore yet still continues for YEARS at his club..? We shouldn't be allowing that kind of blatent disrespect...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:And while I'm moaning and ranting, players shouldn't be allowed to retire from international dutys, if you get called you play.
If you retire from international football thats it, no more club football..

:evil:
Are you going to make National Service compulsary for non professional footballers too in Opaland?

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:26 pm

mc,claren is a great coach not a manager.though way man city have started season you have to wonder if england managers do have there hands tied by clubs.will be funny if sven wins something with city

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Isnt there a current French international being forced to play for his country by the national coach?

I feel that players retiring from international football at an early age do so as a way of criticising the current manager. How many times have players been 'persuaded' to come out of retirement once a new manager is put in charge of the team?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:41 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Isnt there a current French international being forced to play for his country by the national coach?

I feel that players retiring from international football at an early age do so as a way of criticising the current manager. How many times have players been 'persuaded' to come out of retirement once a new manager is put in charge of the team?
Plus as you get older you become less able to play 70 games a year.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:42 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Isnt there a current French international being forced to play for his country by the national coach?

Plus as you get older you become less able to play 70 games a year.

--

Opa - prove someone was doing it, the best players have had a few duff games before.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:51 pm

jabbawokkie2 wrote:mc,claren is a great coach not a manager.though way man city have started season you have to wonder if england managers do have there hands tied by clubs.will be funny if sven wins something with city
but England need a coach , not a manager .The team ,.with the odd couple of exceptions pretty much picks itself . It's how they play that's important

This was the thing with Sven - a manager not a coach . A guy who can pick great players to play for his teams , as long as he's got the whole world to look at . Same with Allardyce (which in my opinion is one of the reasons he never got the England job)

Now , to my mind McClaren is more a coach than a manager . The problem is that he doesnt appear to have the confidence to manage such high profile players - he certainly doesnt appear to motivate them , nor inspire confdence in the fans

Possibly one of the greatest coach, motivator , tactician is Scolari - but the FMA seemingly prevented his appointment arguing that an Englishman should be put in charge. Well , they got what they wanted - I wonder if they still feel the same way?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:13 pm

I do. I'd rather lose every match with an englishman in charge than any success we get with a foreigner. If you allow foreign managers you might as well allow foreign players.

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:14 pm

on a similar note dont you just feel the best generation of players we have had ,well since i remember has gone to waste

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:17 pm

I'd love to see an Englishman in charge of the team , I really would. But I'd rather see a successful team

For me , the nationality of the coach is unimportant , as long as the players are English
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:25 pm

jabbawokkie2 wrote:on a similar note dont you just feel the best generation of players we have had ,well since i remember has gone to waste
I agree - they should have been absolute world-beaters , certainly better than the semi-finalteam of 1990. The question now is whether this bunch of pampered millionaires with their confortable lifestyles have the HEART and the BOTLLE to deliver the goods against teams at the highest level

If I was England coach , the first thing I would do would be to withdraw any cash incentives whether they be goal , win , clean-sheet or appearance bonuses. Any player who isn't prepared to represent their country without monetary reward doesn't deserve to wear the shirt

Secondly , I wouldn't exclude players from clubs outside the Premiership

And finally , no player would be guaranteed a starting place based on past reputation . In fact , no player would ever feel confident of playing the next game if they performed badly in the current one
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Dudley wrote:Yeah, that's what we need, international players deliberately playing badly to avoid being called up again.
No - If there is even the slightest hint of that kind of nonsence going on they are banned from playing professional football... That would only happen if the powers that be allow it to.

If you play football and are eligable for call up, when the call comes you play.
It is an honor to play for your country, and when they have that shirt on they should be proud to give 110%.

Scholes just decided he couldn't be bothered to play for his country anymore yet still continues for YEARS at his club..? We shouldn't be allowing that kind of blatent disrespect...
tell jamie carragher that, trapesing all over the world to get a muppet like wes brown put into the team ahead of him, get your head out of your a*se for god's sake

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:55 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
tell jamie carragher that, trapesing all over the world to get a muppet like wes brown put into the team ahead of him, get your head out of your a*se for god's sake
Shouldn't have took him in the first place, the guys a numpty...

I'd have left him at home with the rest of the rubbish and took some players...

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:06 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Shouldn't have took him in the first place, the guys a numpty...

I'd have left him at home with the rest of the rubbish and took some players...
:roll: like i said get your head out of your arse

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:14 pm

I wouldn't call Carragher a numpty
Then again , I wouldn't call Wes Brown a muppet

They're both integral parts of 2 very successful Premiership teams

It's how they're used by the team that's important

I'm not sure that Benitez or McClaren know Carragher's best , and I don't think Carragher cares where he plays. He's one of the few players who's prepared to fight for his place in the team , rather than just expecting to be guaranteed it.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"