Your Most Disappointing Purchase Ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr Mash

Post by Mr Mash » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:37 am

When my Amstrad was at the end of its initial lifespan (or my attention span) I was often disappointed because my expectations would be stupidly unrealistic - I remember buying Golden Axe and WWF Wrestlemania for the CPC in the early 90s (as just two examples) and hoping upon hope that they would be just like the 16 bit console versions with slightly blockier graphics. !
There was so much going on with the more powerful machines in the way of games and the 8 bits were fighting a losing battle by then etc but I kept hoping there would be some miraculous improvement in graphics, speed and sound to allow my beloved machine to compete.

Which meant I was disappointed continuously until I got an Amiga 1200.

Dizzyegg05

Post by Dizzyegg05 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 am

Godzilla for NES. Man i got toasted for that. After all this time i now know why! lol

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 am

Peter Beardsley Soccer on the C64..

rubbish!!

mamemeuster

Post by mamemeuster » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:41 pm

'Dead Rising'

Ever since seeing 'Dawn of the Dead' some 15 years ago me and my mates have always discussed how fantastic a zombie game would be.

DR sounded just the ticket and looked the part. Ultimately after a very short time I was bored of the repetative gameplay and rubbish save options.

Swapped it after a couple of weeks for something else.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Gazza's Super Soccer on CPC

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:35 pm

The Master wrote:Latest disappointment: Bubble Bobble Evolution.

What a pile of wank... :(

*shakes head*
Quick question: am I being unfair on this game, or does it really suck as much as I think it does? Bubble Bobble's supposed to be about blasting things to censored with bubbles and that, not all these goddamn pencil-scratchers...

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:58 am

mamemeuster wrote:'Dead Rising'

Ever since seeing 'Dawn of the Dead' some 15 years ago me and my mates have always discussed how fantastic a zombie game would be.

DR sounded just the ticket and looked the part. Ultimately after a very short time I was bored of the repetative gameplay and rubbish save options.

Swapped it after a couple of weeks for something else.
I agree but for different reasons.

The demo is awesome. But when you buy the game you realise why the demo is awesome. The main character is fully powered up in the demo.

Capcom decided to allow you to keep any experience points you earned after you die. Good times. Unfortunately the game is so unrelentingly hard (for me) you will have to play through the same hour of game play over and over again. Bad times.

And how the hell are you meant to sort out thos guys in the Jeep, I mean come on!!

Also The Getaway for PS2. A British GTA. I wanted it to be good but SCE let me down. And was it just me or did the game look nowhere near as good as the screenshots that were paraded around various magazines prior to the PS2's launch.

McBoosh

Post by McBoosh » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Damm, must've been Virtua Racing for the MD. Bought at the same time as a 6button joypad - damm, that was an expensive weekend for a 16yo, and for what, 3 tracks! How stupid i was.

Freshmetal

Post by Freshmetal » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:05 pm

DrBlue wrote:Also The Getaway for PS2.
There's so much wrong with that game, it's hard to believe. I was disappointed with it, even though I'd picked it up pre-owned for a mere 99p.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Freshmetal wrote:
There's so much wrong with that game, it's hard to believe. I was disappointed with it, even though I'd picked it up pre-owned for a mere 99p.
If weare talking Black Monday then it does have the best ever swearing in a game :D

matt

Post by matt » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:13 pm

Kevin Turvey Investigates on VHS.

Not game related, just the worst thing I ever bought.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Freshmetal wrote:
I absolutely loved that game!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"