Bad Gaming Habits

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Spector wrote:Swearing definitely is a big problem for me in games, especially shoot-em-ups. A game like 1942 tends to bring it on, and my favourite phrase is "for f**** sake!"
Oh my god! I usually say "for f*** sake" alot!

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:09 pm

woody.cool wrote:
Spector wrote:Swearing definitely is a big problem for me in games, especially shoot-em-ups. A game like 1942 tends to bring it on, and my favourite phrase is "for f**** sake!"
Oh my god! I usually say "for f*** sake" alot!
Pinball does that exact same thing to me. I love Pinball, but the ball (f'in) hates me :(

Fortunately I'm living in Poland at the moment, so I don't feel quite so bad about erupting with the above phrase when a bunch of young children have gathered around to watch me ;)

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:45 pm

StickHead wrote:Sitting in a hunchback inducing slouch position. After marathon games sessions I get up and feel like an old man. I need to get one of those posture correction chairs.
I bought one 5 years ago for pretty much the same reason.It has certainly helped me with my posture,and my concentration seemed to improve too.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:10 pm

That's like me except I usually call the game a cheating f****r. :oops:

R Type blood donor

Post by R Type blood donor » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:16 pm

I Hope I'm not only the one who did this, but I used to find myself in my earlier years being so frustrated by a game I threatened the console with violence if it didn't let me win.

Funnily enough I then always won. Having recently completed Sonic 2 with ease, I can't see why I got so worked up all those years ago.

I'm much more chilled out these days about games, I kinda just accept I'm crap :D
It's a me...Mario!

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:24 pm

R Type blood donor wrote:Having recently completed Sonic 2 with ease
I bow down in servitude before your throne...

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:52 pm

I swear, my phrases of choice are the tried and tested "for f*cks sake" or if the game has only mildly annoyed me, "f*cker." I'll have to change this for when the baby's born, otherwise it'll sound like a chav at preschool.

I also have a bad habit of continuing to play even if I'm uncomfortable, I really should get up and walk around for a bit.
真・豪鬼

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:06 am

StickHead wrote:Sitting in a hunchback inducing slouch position. After marathon games sessions I get up and feel like an old man. I need to get one of those posture correction chairs.
Yep I'm the same as well. Another habit is looking at the screen too closely. The swearing is one thing that will always remain as I play games too seriously which has to stop.

Mr Mash

Post by Mr Mash » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:10 pm

The one that I do the most is playing far beyond the realm of comfort.
If my eyes are stinging and running, my head is pounding, I've broken three of my fingers, I'm up in three hours time but I've nearly beaten the boss, I'm staying put until the job's done.

Another one I'm ashamed to admit to (but is happening more and more) is flitting from one game to another without giving them a chance. This has started happening since I acquired a larger number of games - I've rebought loads of stuff I used to have, but give each one a couple of gos before going onto something else, instead of staying the distance the way I used to.
I think this is partly because the majority of the games I like are now cheap enough to treat more casually (very different to saving up for months as a kid), and partly because I've gone beyond the nostalgia that limited my initial choices into wanting to learn as much as I can.

Oh, and who doesn't swear or have violent thoughts from time to time?! Games are sometimes designed to make you do that, that's what it feels like. Anybody on the last boss of Shinobi or remembers the first time they played Psycho Fox will understand!!

(Erm, maybe the Psycho Fox one is just me, but I stand by the Shinobi example as being universal!)

Madge

Post by Madge » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm another gaming butterfly. From my Retroleague performance, I think it's caused my skills to suffer as I tend to give up and play something else when things get tough, or just don't play a specific game long enough to really improve.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

RetroENZO

Re: Bad Gaming Habits

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:20 pm

SirClive wrote:Just because you like something doesn't mean you will be good at it. My xbox live account proves that :(
I always thought I was pretty good at driving / racing games. Until I went on XBox Live... am I just intimidated?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:21 pm

The Retroleague is really nice for giving some titles much more of a go than you would ordinarily. Amazing what some friendly competition will do for your willingness to stick with a game :)

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:29 pm

In (2 player) Tennis games, I will ALWAYS make my character run off the screen while saying something like "Right, I'm going home". Opponenets often fail to see the funny side.

I have done this since the Atari 2600 Tennis game, it worked especially well on 'Match Point' on the 8-bits, I even do it during Virtua Tennis doubles.

It doesn't work on Wii Sports :cry:

Mr Mash

Post by Mr Mash » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:28 pm

That is funny though!!

It reminds me of when a group of us used to play multiplayer micro machines and I used to knock people off the bridge/ ledge every time to start in the same place and promise not to do it the next time until someone got proper p1ssed off. I totally understand how annoying that is, but it's still funny (as long as you know the limits of your mates).

Or rainbow road on Super Mario Kart, same thing. Or lapping someone on Crash Team Racing by using the shortcuts my opponent didn't know about and dropping so many weapons in strategic places that they became unavoidable. There was (is) something desperately funny about your opponent crashing unwittingly into one thing after another with a confused look on their face because they haven't seen what you are up to!

It qualifies as a bad habit though because it is bloody annoying - hypocritically it always does my head in if it is done to me...

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:52 pm

R Type blood donor wrote:I Hope I'm not only the one who did this, but I used to find myself in my earlier years being so frustrated by a game I threatened the console with violence if it didn't let me win.

Funnily enough I then always won. Having recently completed Sonic 2 with ease, I can't see why I got so worked up all those years ago.

I'm much more chilled out these days about games, I kinda just accept I'm crap :D
Sadly you're not alone... never actually carried out any violent acts on my computers or consoles (joysticks don't count) but used to threaten my tapes when they wouldn't load. Many is the tape that got bounced off my bedroom wall for refusing to load. Bizarrely it had a pretty hefty success rate.

My g/f has taken that a stage further in the past though when she set about her brother's Amiga with a well placed screwdriver to the disc drive.

Naturally I keep her at distance from my collection...
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net