EIGHTIES MUSIC.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:14 am

sonic91 wrote:I listen to 80s music on my mp3 player at work nearly every day. My favourites are OMD, A Flock of Seagulls and The Buggles.
I dont think I've heard any Buggles apart from VKTRS.
I'm going to search for some of their stuff :)

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 am

stvd wrote:
sonic91 wrote:I listen to 80s music on my mp3 player at work nearly every day. My favourites are OMD, A Flock of Seagulls and The Buggles.
I'm going to search for some of their stuff :)
Good choice Mate!

Love Flock Of Seagulls, 'I Ran' is one of my fave tunes!

Also, Tear For Fears accompanied many a game playing 'stint' in my house I seem to remember as well as the occasional bout of Ultravox.
'What's a Ftoomch?'

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 am

Did someone mention 80's music? 8) Lurve the Decade. For me, it's more a case of what 80's song do I not have! :D Admittedly, am not keen on 'boy band' stuff, though the odd track is ok. And some groups really do grate - I wish I could delete the whole history of stuff like Culture Club. UGH!

Anyway, more importantly, what do I prefer...

Boston
Journey (Be Good To Yourself and Lights are just 2 of many, many favourites)
It Bites (my all-time fave song is their remixed Still Too Young To Remember)
REO Speedwagon
Sigue Sigue Sputnik (the opening to Love Missile and their bass-beat are just soooo sexy-cool)
Billy Joel
Frank Zappa
Adam (and the) Ant(s)
Voice of the Beehive
Transvision Vamp
Brian Wilson/Beach Boys
Motorhead
Scorpions
Dire Straits
Status Quo
Pete Wylie (Wah!)
OMD
Nena
Trio
Jane Wiedlin (great slice of pop!)
We've Got a FUZZBOX and We're Gonna Use It (Love Is The Slug - yes indeedy!)
The Colourfield (their delightful Thinking Of You - currently playing on my iPod)
The Damned
Cutting Crew
Big Country
Strawberry Switchblade
Tenpole Tudor

I really should not go on but I do have so very many more! Compilations alone stand at nigh-on 60. :D

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 am

I prefer to listen to the more forgotten bands of the 80s or those not on the same level as Madonna, Michael Jackson as when you mention that era everyone thinks it was only about them two or ultra cheesy pop music. Recently been listening to Echo & The Bunnymen, Metallica - Master Of Puppets, REM way b4 Losing My Religion fame or again anything that was not mainstream then. My favourite track of the 80s is The Cure's "A Forest" which I recommend everyone here to download, I consider that song to be very different from their other works.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:06 am

sleeper77 wrote:My favourite track of the 80s is The Cure's "A Forest" which I recommend everyone here to download, I consider that song to be very different from their other works.
I always thought that Seventeen Seconds was their best album. However, I think that Charlotte Sometimes is their best song.......

Have been listening to lots of Smiths and early Mission stuff recently.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:08 am

Ah the 80s, a good decade for alternative music which definitely shaped my musical tastes. Okay, I liked bands like OMD, Adam and the Ants, Human League and Spandau Ballet at the start of the decade as I went through a bit of a 'New Romantic' phase but my previous liking of punk and metal kind of coloured that and I drifted into the world of alternative and goth and even nowadays that's what I tend to listen to. The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Play Dead, X-Mal Deutschland, Screaming Dead, Specimen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Danse Society, Bauhaus, The Cure, Bolshoi and the Damned tend to share space with New Model Army, Gene Loves Jezebel, Balaam and the Angel, The Cult, The Alarm, Iggy Pop (not entirely 80s), Echo and the Bunnymen, Transvision Vamp and Depeche Mode. Towards the end of the 80s I did get into some stuff by Big Country, Clannad, Enya and De Danaan.

Probably the most abiding memory for me is playing Jetpac whilst listening to 'Alice' by the Sisters of Mercy one summer afternoon. I still can't play Jetpac without hearing that tune in my mind.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Also been listening to Kajagoogoo lately (you might only remember the hit 'Too Shy' but I barely listen to that).
Kajagoogoo live in my town, the twin daughters of Stuart Neale were in my class at school, and I served him when I worked as a cashier at Morrisons. (I don't work there anymore, by the way!)
I'm going to search for some of their stuff
Video Killed The Radio Star is their best and most well-known track, the rest of their stuff is pretty mediocre, it has to be said.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm

For me, my fav 80's acts are:

Billy Ocean
Spandau Ballet
Adam & The Ants
Frankie Goes To Hollywood

but there's a few more I like from the complete opposite end of the spectrum:

Metallica
Bon Jovi
Twisted Sister
- especially You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll (nothing to do with Brainiac ...... Honest :lol: )

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:35 pm

Mrs Ant has suggested (along with some already mentioned) Sade, George Michael and The Eurythmics.

Good call with Siousxie and the Banshees. I've a few of their albums but not listened for a while. Must get them into iTunes (I've rebought some on CD). Still missing the album with Hong Kong Garden and that one that's all cover versions - a bit annoying as I liked Siousxie's version of 'This Town Ain't Big Enough'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:07 pm

[quote="Sputryk"]Did someone mention 80's music? 8) Lurve the Decade. For me, it's more a case of what 80's song do I not have! :D Admittedly, am not keen on 'boy band' stuff, though the odd track is ok. And some groups really do grate - I wish I could delete the whole history of stuff like Culture Club. UGH!

Journey (Be Good To Yourself and Lights are just 2 of many, many favourites)
REO Speedwagon
Billy Joel
Adam (and the) Ant(s)
Brian Wilson/Beach Boys
Motorhead
Scorpions
Cutting Crew
Big Country
Tenpole Tudor

I really should not go on but I do have so very many more! Compilations alone stand at nigh-on 60. :D[/quote]

at last!!someone else who likes Journey! :D i know ive edited your post a bit, but youve mentioned bands i absolutely love, dude!
one of the best albums is FRONTIER closely followed by Captured. one of the best live albums ever. although Raised on Radio is quite good. But not as good as their earlier stuff.

some really good choices there. especially the scorpions. wind of change.......excellent! and Adam and The Ants.....another good choice. Ant Music was cool (tried it on karaoke recently and just about got it right!)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:44 pm

STAN RIDGWAY

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:54 pm

who? :shock:
ive heard of ridge racer, but thats it!
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:13 pm

woah oh oh ooooh, Camouflage
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 pm

We're not gonna take it...no, we ain't gonna take it...we're not gonna take it.....ANYMORE!!!!!!!
Twisted Sister are
AWESOME!!!! :D

but you can't beat a bit of eighties Van Halen, either....

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:55 am

JetSetWilly wrote:at last!!someone else who likes Journey! :D i know ive edited your post a bit, but youve mentioned bands i absolutely love, dude!
one of the best albums is FRONTIER closely followed by Captured. one of the best live albums ever. although Raised on Radio is quite good. But not as good as their earlier stuff.

some really good choices there. especially the scorpions. wind of change.......excellent! and Adam and The Ants.....another good choice. Ant Music was cool (tried it on karaoke recently and just about got it right!)
It sure makes a change, don't it? So many people writeoff Journey as a dinosaur band without actually having listened to them. Absolute top quality musicianship, melody, feel and arrangement. Undoubtedly one of the best bands of all time. Escape is a favourite album of theirs as is their more recent Arrival (used it's With Your Love at my recent wedding :) ).

It's a shame that Boston's Brad Delp is no longer with us as he is (was) one of the few vocalists who could compete with the Legend that is Steve Perry. The classic MTAF takes on a whole new feel with Brad's passing.

And, yup, those SMF's are a thunderously good band. I love their YCSRnR album and, for a (scary) Metal band, Suzettes Song is simply beautiful. I still remember their first appearance on TOTP with IAIM which started my liking. Got the vid somewhere. Never saw them live, nor for that matter Journey. :(

Also remember catching Stan on Music Box along with many others. Great show. Amanda Reddington!!!!! :D

Am partial to a bit of Megadeth, too. And George Thorogood & The Destroyers. What don't I like (except Culture Club et al)?!

I'm off to dig out some dusty 7"... 8)