PlayStation Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:41 am

Opa-Opa wrote:If you are looking to start getting into the Playstation RPG's then stay well away from Final Fantasy 7, it sucks big time and is as boring as it is stuck up it's own backside
Or you can ignore Opa and play a fantastic game with tons of atmosphere, beautiful cut scenes, amazing music, fantastic story and involving gameplay.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:16 am

I'll take FF IX over FF VII any day.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 am

They all suck after VI...

Hours of FMV and random, pointless battles break up what would have been cool animated movies and spoil them.
If you want to watch FF then get Advent Children or Spirits Within on DVD, if you want to play a really good RPG stay well away form the dull, boring and gameless FFVII

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:30 am

I would much rather take FF7 than 8. FF8 was the most annoying & boring RPG I have ever played. RPG fans love it to what I have seen as it has plenty of random battles ahoy and has you going up & down places like a yo-yo making me over-yawn but to them its like pure bliss. Totally spoiled the series form 8 onwards.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 am

Actually, I really like FFVII but I think I found FFIX more charming.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

th3 duckst3r

ps1 games

Post by th3 duckst3r » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:29 am

hey the master where u been for the last 12 years never played a psx shame on you.
but non the less theres plenty of excellent ps1 games to play n track down

rpgs then consider alundra 1/2
tales of series
final fantasy 7 / tactics
vandel hearts 1/2
breath of fire series
wild arms 1/2
suikoden 1/2 number being v.expensive
saiyuki journey west
chrono trigger
thats just a few ov the vast many
#shumps
terra diver
r-types/delta
toaplan shooting battle very rare has tiger heli and the all important twin cobra
g-darius
in the hunt
salamander 2/deluxe pack
ray crisis/storm
einhander
metal slugs series
and a lot of excellent platform games
consider if u havent a working psx then the emulator works perfectly
google should herold results.....

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:00 am

For racers I recommend Rage Racer, Gran Turismo, Micro Machines V3 and Colin McRae Rally.

You can add Twisted Metal and Twisted Metal World Tour to that list as well.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:06 am

SirClive wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:If you are looking to start getting into the Playstation RPG's then stay well away from Final Fantasy 7, it sucks big time and is as boring as it is stuck up it's own backside
Or you can ignore Opa and play a fantastic game with tons of atmosphere, beautiful cut scenes, amazing music, fantastic story and involving gameplay.
Are we talking about New Zealand Story here or FFVII? :?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

bolda

Post by bolda » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:04 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:And if you like racing games, and you can find it, I've been trying for years, ROAD RASH JAILBREAK. It's better that the first PS1 road rash game plus when you and a computer player get knocked off your bikes, you can steal his.....i think.....or was that jacked........oh, bloody hell!
Absolutely. "Road Rash:Jailbreak" and "Road Rash 3D" are the 2 most-played games in my PS1 collection. The first PS1 Road Rash game was pants but these 2 are superb.

Others I'd recommend:
WWF Smackdown 2 - I know you said you don't like fighting games but wrestling isn't really fighting and it's a great game :D
Colony Wars: Red Sun - The best of the Colony Wars games, a nice 3D space shooter.
Destruction Derby 2 - super smashing great.
Dino Crisis 2 - Resident Evil meets Jurassic Park.
Syphon Filter 2 - better than SF1 IMHO and the 2-player death matches are superb (dare I say, much better than N64 GoldenEye's!?)

In fact, just games that end in "2" generally! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:17 pm

[quote="bolda"][quote="JetSetWilly"]And if you like racing games, and you can find it, I've been trying for years, ROAD RASH JAILBREAK. It's better that the first PS1 road rash game plus when you and a computer player get knocked off your bikes, you can steal his.....i think.....or was that jacked........oh, bloody hell![/quote]
Absolutely. "Road Rash:Jailbreak" and "Road Rash 3D" are the 2 most-played games in my PS1 collection. The first PS1 Road Rash game was pants but these 2 are superb.

Others I'd recommend:
WWF Smackdown 2 - I know you said you don't like fighting games but wrestling isn't [i]really [/i]fighting and it's a great game :D
Colony Wars: Red Sun - The best of the Colony Wars games, a nice 3D space shooter.
Destruction Derby 2 - super smashing great.
Dino Crisis 2 - Resident Evil meets Jurassic Park.
Syphon Filter 2 - better than SF1 IMHO and the 2-player death matches are superb (dare I say, much better than N64 GoldenEye's!?)

In fact, just games that end in "2" generally! :D[/quote]

i did manage to get the first Road Rash for a quid. its ok (for a game for a quid, mind.) but it nowt really special, though. im with you on DD2. the first one was good. Theres always Blast Radius as well. mindless space blasting while collecting upgrades. not too bad. managed to bag it at £2.50 ages ago. but havent played it in a while. but its worth a quick blast (pun intended) now and then.
OR.....there is MDK and MDK 2. you can pick up MDK 2 for PS2 for about £4 if you like your shooters laced with lunacy. (like making toast while trying to shoot bad guys :shock: )
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

chewy

Post by chewy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:02 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Bishi Bashi Special. (Wario Ware type game)
Best. Party. Game. EVER.

1500graham

Post by 1500graham » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:50 am

SirClive wrote:
FF7 was tremendous, when i completed it i felt like i'd been on the quest myself, breathtaking!
Vandal Hearts is also superb.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:23 am

Can't see it in the other posts so:

Driver
Bubble Bobble / Rainbow Islands
Medieval
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:31 am

Diver's Dream - it might be a boring to some, but I view it more as an alternative to a game were quick thinking & reflexes are needed. The excellent ambient music adds even further to the calm atmosphere.