Game Gear Micro Coming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Game Gear Micro Coming

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 pm
Screen size is confirmed at 1.15 inches / 3cm. Still, you can buy a pack of all four and you get one of those screen magnifiers thrown in for an authentically awful experience. :lol:
It would be more so if he battery lasts for about an hour

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:47 am

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 pm
Screen size is confirmed at 1.15 inches / 3cm. Still, you can buy a pack of all four and you get one of those screen magnifiers thrown in for an authentically awful experience. :lol:
No mention of HDMI out?

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 am

https://youtu.be/mJG7xQHQ8R4

This came to mind reading the replies to this thread. Not just because of the small screen size but because they're looking out for a man with four fingers... LOL

---

Seriously, why didn't SEGA just make the GameGear Mega instead? Ideally the same form factor as the original, better battery life, and supporting Master System/GG/MegaDrive games. Then again, SEGA and logical decisions don't seem to be possible on a regular basis: remember Sonic Spinball and how STI only somehow realised 6 days before release that the S1 soundtrack needed royalties paid to DCT? (Not faulting Drossin's work on that game though at all)
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 pm

I would have loved a Classic Game Gear - slimmed down a bit, modern screen, good battery, inbuilt library of GG and Master System games.

I guess I'll just stick to.my modded PSPs and Vitas!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:19 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 pm
I would have loved a Classic Game Gear - slimmed down a bit, modern screen, good battery, inbuilt library of GG and Master System games.

I guess I'll just stick to.my modded PSPs and Vitas!
Modded PSP is always a good bet. I don’t think any portable has ever come close to the homebrew support it had back in the day :)
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:48 pm

The reason you don't see much work on hacked handhelds these days is that there are open platforms far easier to develop for. Get a Windows or Android handheld if you want something close to the state of the art. For example, here's a video of the forthcoming GPD Win Max running some PS2 games at 60fps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lnPY1p7j_Y

Of course, if you just want to play a few GG games on the go and aren't overly fussed about getting cycle-accurate emulation, the PSP is still up to that job. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that there aren't better options these days, just because the scene for hacking proprietary handhelds has rather died a death.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 pm

That might as well be a laptop. For £600 odd quid its not really something you would whip out for those long commutes

For on the go gaming and emulation the Vita is bloody fantastic, as long as you dont want to play six button fighting games

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:46 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 pm
That might as well be a laptop. For £600 odd quid its not really something you would whip out for those long commutes

For on the go gaming and emulation the Vita is bloody fantastic, as long as you dont want to play six button fighting games
The price is indeed high, but you get what you pay for and what else is going to give you full speed PS2 and GameCube emulation on the hop? Also, it's about the same size as a Switch and I used that a fair bit on my commute the last time I had one.

If you want something pocket sized though, there's also the GPD Win 2 which is about the size of a DS Lite. So, more portable than a Vita.

If cheap but still superior to the Vita in performance is your bracket, there's the RG350. It's under £80 and about on a par with a Raspberry Pi 2 in performance, so there's decent emulation up to the PS but it's a bit rubbish for the N64 and Dreamcast. It's far and away the best supported non-Android/Windows device at the moment though.

As for the Vita, it's great for its native games and you also get PSP and PS1 compatibility for free with it. However, for anything else I'd struggle to recommend it much. It's passable for 8-bit systems, but even the cycle accurate ones can tax it a bit and it pretty much falls over and dies when given something as demanding as a SuperFX SNES game.

Much the same goes for the 3DS; superb native library, and backwards compatibility with the DS and other systems via the Virtual Console. However, give it anything more taxing than a ZX Spectrum to emulate, and you've got issues.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 am

the whole thing screams lazy, overpriced, wasted oppurtunity.

The handheld ms/gg that Blaze did runs rings around this.

If pre orders have gone well, either their expectations were low or there are a lot of villages paying generous salaries to their idiots

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:41 pm

flatapex wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 am

If pre orders have gone well, either their expectations were low or there are a lot of villages paying generous salaries to their idiots
Japanese.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm

I never owned a Game Gear but several friends and Cousins did and I always enjoyed playing it.

It seems strange and a shame to release a 30th anniversary edition in such a wasted way.

Though the different colours look pretty neat, so I'm sure there will be people that buy all four...
Press Play On Tape

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:06 pm

With my cynical hat on, perhaps someone at Sega figured out that these things only ever get used for playing games for a few weeks and end up putting in far longer service as ornaments for the TV cabinet, so thought they'd skip that interim function for pure aesthetics.

Certainly, they'd have faced a quandary between keeping the look of the original with a minified console, but retaining usable controls and a decent sized screen. I'm not sure they could really have done that without ending up with something that just looked like every other cheap emulation handheld - and even the $25 ones do GameGear well enough these days - out there. I don't think there's any reason why they couldn't have put all the games on the one machine, but these things obviously weren't designed to be used much.