Sega Fog gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Sega Fog gaming

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:30 am

Crusty Starfish

Re: Sega Fog gaming

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 am

Lol, the site blocks adblock - so I won't be reading that! What's the big reveal?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 am

You need an add blocker blocker.............
Or just use Ublock
The ‘huge scoop’ promised for Sega’s 60th anniversary has turned out to be a cloud gaming service for Japanese arcades. By now you’ve probably already seen the reveal of the Sega Game Gear Micro but that wasn’t the ‘huge scoop’ to ‘rile up the games industry’ that was previously promised by an overexcited Famitsu journalist. The real news was Fog Gaming, which is a cloud gaming service for Japanese arcades. The idea being that it will allow people to play arcade games from their own home (which kind of defeats the point, but there you go). The system will use the hardware of the arcade machines and Sega are promising very low latency, which is essential with the fighting games and shooters that dominate Japanese arcades.
The Japanese arcade scene is still fairly vibrant, with Sega themselves running several locations, but even so this seems a pretty niche concept even for Japan. It’s also very hard to imagine it coming to the West, despite how much some people might want to play arcade games that are never released here. If the technology relies on the arcade machines being relatively local then that seems to make it impossible, since the UK and American arcade scene is now almost entirely run by enthusiasts.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:33 pm

Fog; like clouds, but worse.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:29 am

I can't say I'm not a little disappointed, but I think this is another case of The Internet building far too much hype for something without any idea of what it is.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:40 pm

I suppose this could be pretty neat if you're a Japanese arcade nut stuck at home because of COVID-19, and it's streaming from native hardware rather than emulation so a bit of a leg-up over the average cloud service. Still, stripped of the flashy cabs and the social aspect of Japanese arcades, I'd think they're still looking at a very niche market for this.