What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Skeleton

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Skeleton » Thu May 28, 2020 1:04 pm

I'd been looking for a playable Defender for a while, my PS2 broke and I had Williams Classics on that and don't see the game on PS4. So I've been looking around on emulators via RetroArch and rediscovered Guardian on C64, which was a brilliant clone back in the day and still great now. I can't find how to get hyperspace going on the gamepad but I rarely used that anyway.

I also rediscovered Defender on the VCS which I always liked, as did friends; we weren't really aware of the criticisms at the time, and as with Pac Man, we understood it wasn't the same as the arcade version. That said, I also recently discovered Defender II on the VCS and wow, what a great effort that was!

Also been playing Nex Machina (PS4), Fantasy Zone (MAME and Master System emulators) and a little while back, Atlantis on VCS emulator - what a great game that is, I missed it at the time. And River Raid on VCS emulator as well, a timeless game.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Crud, I just remembered the Defender remake on Gamecube

Urgh, that was rubbish

Started playing Skys of Arcadia (GameCube).

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Thu May 28, 2020 8:54 pm

Quite a bit of V-Rally 4 on the XBOX One.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:58 pm

SPECCY SATURDAY
Enduro Racer
Minder
Frank N Stein
Yogi's Great Escape
Crystal Kingdom Dizzy

:D 8)
Press Play On Tape

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY
Jungle Strike
D!ck Tracy
Taz-Mania
Ghostbusters
Flicky

8) :D
Press Play On Tape

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Still Skys of arcadia, its good, but a lot of stuff about it bugs me.
Random battles far to often, I am playing the Gamecube version, but it feels like move a bit get in one, took me an hour to get past that windy part. Have to mute the game as the battle music is getting annoying
Getting lost, flying about for about an hour looking for something, was told it was in the "north east" fly round there, he meant the north east of the bottom half of the map.
Enemies that can one hit kill, seriously GET TO FECK!
Ship battles could be better

squat_cobbler

Post by squat_cobbler » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:24 am

I picked up Two point hospital a month back and only just played it, liking it so far but they need to do a Two point theme park ;

Tomb Raider 2 ps1
Micro machines v3

t2 snes

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 am

Currently, Dr Luigi. Been on a Dr Mario journey over the past few weeks, but decided to go wild and buy Dr Luigi on the Wii U - its Dr Mario re-skinned green, but its still a classic, and a couple of cool modes including decent use of the Gamepad as well.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:23 am

I'm currently playing a lot of Panel De Pon on the Switch SNES library. I watched a translation video of the menus and realised there was a lot more to it than first appeared. I'm just past halfway through the campaign and it's got tough as nails! Great game, though.

I also grabbed Days Gone dirt cheap in Argos the other day and really enjoying having a big stupid game world to get lost in again, missed it since finishing RDR2 ages back.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:59 am

Played some Fortnite Split Screen tonight.
Got a few kills. Fun Fun Fun.
:cry: I always uncheck the add signature button, looks like this time I have forgotten!!! :D

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55 am

Alex79uk2 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:23 am
I'm currently playing a lot of Panel De Pon on the Switch SNES library. I watched a translation video of the menus and realised there was a lot more to it than first appeared. I'm just past halfway through the campaign and it's got tough as nails! Great game, though.

I also grabbed Days Gone dirt cheap in Argos the other day and really enjoying having a big stupid game world to get lost in again, missed it since finishing RDR2 ages back.
I'm about 30-35 hours into this. It's massive, I thought I was nearing the end(Spoiler:I'm not!) Absolutely loving it though and the hordes can be terrifying, I've encountered so many by accident. I've managed to take out 4 of them so far, some with luck and some, okay one with skill :D Highly recommended given it's current cheap status everywhere.

EDIT: Also playing Yoshis Island:SMW 2 on the Switch SNES online app, I've made it to the 6th and final world. It's...ok. There's a few levels that stand out to me but overall I'm not overly impressed with it./Unpopular opinion?

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:01 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55 am
Alex79uk2 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:23 am

I'm about 30-35 hours into this. It's massive, I thought I was nearing the end(Spoiler:I'm not!) Absolutely loving it though and the hordes can be terrifying, I've encountered so many by accident. I've managed to take out 4 of them so far, some with luck and some, okay one with skill :D Highly recommended given it's current cheap status everywhere.
Ah god, the hoards! I've only seen two. One piled out of a train wreck I was exploring and then another was something else entirely. I was on top of a ledge which was too high to drop down/climb, and heard this awful noise. As I crept towards the edge I saw hundreds of zombies below all feasting on corpses. It was quite a sight. I watch them for a minute wondering whether to bother wasting a couple of grenades on them but then they spotted me and let out this collective almighty scream. I thought "Nah I'm OK, they can't get me here" but they all piled on top of each other trying to scramble up the ledge almost forming an (un)human pyramid. I didn't hang about long enough to see if they actually made it up in the end!

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
EDIT: Also playing Yoshis Island:SMW 2 on the Switch SNES online app, I've made it to the 6th and final world. It's...ok. There's a few levels that stand out to me but overall I'm not overly impressed with it./Unpopular opinion?
Hmm. I remember loving it on the SNES when it first came out, but also tried to replay it when it came on Switch, and just ended up getting a bit bored with it by the end of the second world. Don't feel it pulling me back to be honest. In comparison, Super Mario World feels as brilliant as the first time I played it.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Alex79uk2 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 pm
The Last Ginja wrote:
Hmm. I remember loving it on the SNES when it first came out, but also tried to replay it when it came on Switch, and just ended up getting a bit bored with it by the end of the second world. Don't feel it pulling me back to be honest. In comparison, Super Mario World feels as brilliant as the first time I played it.
Absolutely this. I love SMW, I play it at least once every year, but SMW2 never grabbed me even back in the day. I thought at the time I was bored of 2D platformers as that's what the majority of games were back then. Having played through most of it this week while using my exercise bike I just think it's an average game. Next week I'll be playing through either Super Metroid or Link to the Past. Neither of which I've finished...(I was young and in love) :oops:

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:09 am

Haha. The first two games I played when the SNES library came to the Switch were A Link To The Past and Super Metroid. I'd never played either of them back in the day, and only ever had quick goes playing them on emulators over the years. I ended up completing them both on Switch and loved them, but ALTTP was especially brilliant. Didn't feel like it had aged at all, and really did feel as fresh as it must have when it was first released. I think I put about 18 hours in to it in the end! I did have to look up a guide once or twice for a couple of things. I imagine playing it as a kid it would have taken me months of being stuck, speaking on the playground with friends and scouring magazines for clues. It's too easy to cheat now, but some puzzles are so obscure I just haven't got the patience these days!