Coronavirus

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: Coronavirus

Post by pratty » Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm

What is essential anyway? The whole lockdown is a farce.

Perhaps instead of saying "take care" to each other , we ought to try "take responsibility". If you don't feel confident enough to mingle with the masses, then don't. Consider your own behaviour first instead of judging others and how they could be affecting you. If you smoke, I don't want to hear how other people daring to breathe unmasked outside their home is putting your precious respiratory health at risk.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

merman

Post by merman » Wed May 27, 2020 5:13 pm

I want to make clear any views expressed in this thread are my personal thoughts. I will not be making any further comment, unless someone addresses me directly and personally.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 27, 2020 6:34 pm

pratty wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm
What is essential anyway? The whole lockdown is a farce.

Perhaps instead of saying "take care" to each other , we ought to try "take responsibility". If you don't feel confident enough to mingle with the masses, then don't. Consider your own behaviour first instead of judging others and how they could be affecting you. If you smoke, I don't want to hear how other people daring to breathe unmasked outside their home is putting your precious respiratory health at risk.
I wouldn't say the lockdown is a total farce. It's the principle reason why the UK has gone from over 1000 COVID-19 deaths per day at its peak to around the 100 mark now. Prior to that, when the advice pretty much was just to take personal responsibility for your actions, the numbers were rising exponentially.

There are certainly farcial elements about it though, and it's not too much of a stretch to see that both the peak and current numbers could have been much lower if there'd been a quicker and more strictly observed lockdown. A lack of quarantine measures, PPE, testing and contact tracing had doubtless cost lives too. With many other countries having been doing all those things since early February, it seems fair to say that opportunities were missed.

The analogy with smoking is a really bad one though. Second hand smoke is obviously dangerous, but it's also visible and cannot be re-transmitted throughout a community. You can be a carrier of COVID-19 who feels no symptoms and still pass it on to people, who'll spread it even further if they behave the same way as you do. If enough people could actually get their heads around that, we might not need legislation to enforce a lockdown. Indeed, in some other countries - particularly ones with prior experience of pandemics - they've managed largely without it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:21 am

Getting a bit ridiculous now, theres now pictures of Corbyn going against the rules and not social distancing. I'm no Corbyn fan but its a joke now, the press must be ready to jump out and take a picture when any MP is too close to someone. Not upset by what Cummings did nor Corbyn

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 am

I'd rather we just got on with what needs to be done instead of crying hypocrite every time an MP is spotted coming out of a newsagent with a Slush Puppy and a Snickers bar.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 am

Don't you mean Marathon bar? Spangles would also be acceptable. This is the 'Retro' Gamer forum, after all! ;)

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 am

On a lighter note....

Barney is close to where I live and it's been amusing to hear people constantly pronouncing it wrong.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 am

I take it that it isn't pronounced the same way as the first name of Fred's Flintstone's best friend? :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:42 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 am
On a lighter note....

Barney is close to where I live and it's been amusing to hear people constantly pronouncing it wrong.
How do you pronounce it then ? Bah-nay ? Presume its not as someone said bar-nee

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 am

Barren-ay?

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 am

Matt_B wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:34 pm
The analogy with smoking is a really bad one though. Second hand smoke is obviously dangerous, but it's also visible and cannot be re-transmitted throughout a community.
That wasn't the point I was making. If a person smokes, they have decided they don't care about their respiratory health and the increased risk of premature death. It is selfish then to now incist others must restrict their normal, healthy, wholesome activities because the smoker is now considered 'at risk' from Covid 19 due to their poor respiratory health. Obviously not all people at risk have brought it on themselves, but generally speaking I don't think we should view others as being responsible for our well-being before ourselves.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 28, 2020 7:56 pm

pratty wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 am
Matt_B wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:34 pm
The analogy with smoking is a really bad one though. Second hand smoke is obviously dangerous, but it's also visible and cannot be re-transmitted throughout a community.
That wasn't the point I was making. If a person smokes, they have decided they don't care about their respiratory health and the increased risk of premature death. It is selfish then to now incist others must restrict their normal, healthy, wholesome activities because the smoker is now considered 'at risk' from Covid 19 due to their poor respiratory health. Obviously not all people at risk have brought it on themselves, but generally speaking I don't think we should view others as being responsible for our well-being before ourselves.
I've never smoked myself, but I'd think you'd find that most smokers do actually care about their respiratory health. It's just that there was an industry-led cover-up of the risks of smoking until relatively recently, and it's extremely addictive - on a par with heroin and crack cocaine - so a lot of them don't find it that easy to quit. I don't know a single smoker who hasn't tried to quit; just those who've been successful and those who've lapsed into old habits.

Still, if someone makes an informed choice that they want to start smoking knowing all the risks, who are you and I to tell them not to? I'd think it is entirely reasonable to ask them to refrain from behaviours that put us at risk though, for instance exposing us to their second hand smoke. And bearing in mind that the sorts of activities that could spread COVID-19 are going to put every one of us - even the young and healthy without any pre-existing conditions - at increased risk too though, I'd also deem that an entirely reasonable request. There's not really any way to put yourself at increased risk of catching the virus without also spreading it to others though, so it's not like anyone can make a decision to do something in a way that only affects themselves.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:29 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 am
On a lighter note....

I'm having trouble sleeping as i keep thinking of how to pronounce it, dont tease us Ulrich, please tell us !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 am

From Monday Monday Monday
We are allowed to meet up to 6 people outside as long as we stay 2 meters appart.

Some people have been doing that anyway

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 am
From Monday Monday Monday
We are allowed to meet up to 6 people outside as long as we stay 2 meters appart.

Some people have been doing that anyway
My mother in law gave my wife censored for not agreeing to have her over this weekend but we've said Monday or GTFO.
Xbox Live: RetroBob