Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Nothing has changed here :D

It's quite nice working from home.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 am

My big worry is in 6 months or so, heard of job losses and pay cuts etc. Cant wait for things to get back to normal but for a lot of companies they've obviously lost a ton of money. Just have to see what happens

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 am

The Economy has already suffered for it, its why I don't get some carriers complaining about some of their loads being unessential, it's still commerce that will help things stay running and there are ways to drop and pickup contact free, its also the only way some smaller businesses can operate right now.
Watching you sleep since 1990

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 14, 2020 7:32 am

A few places are closing.
A lot of pubs are getting deep into the red as some can't make the extorant rent costs.

The site of Manchester at about 5pm being nearly car free is weird.

Did have a call from the job center yesterday asking if ive been looking for work.
I technically am still in work, zero hours and that, have been looking but with my on and off breathing problems over the past two months im not risking it.

Cant really do crew works at home anymore as ive done everything........

Currently selling things I dont want or need to pay for things

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri May 15, 2020 4:45 pm

It's fairly straightforward unless people want to be intentionally obtuse.

Like you said, you can go out a bit more but mainly stay at home.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 15, 2020 5:26 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:45 pm
It's fairly straightforward unless people want to be intentionally obtuse.

Like you said, you can go out a bit more but mainly stay at home.
Out food shopping today, a few people didnt give a s**t.

THis virus aint going away anytime soon

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 am

They need to start showing the age groups of who has died. When the last stats i saw (330 under 45's had died out of 30,000) i think the government need to start letting more people back to work and relax things. If you have underlying conditions or are basically old then yeah stay in 100%

I was worried about this before but now i think theres tons of scaremongering. Once i saw how few people died under 45 i started not to worry at all. My kids have been to school since the beginning (My ex is a keyworker), not worried one bit. For people like my mum (75 and lots of conditions) then yeah she needs to stay in, i havent visited her once.

But they need to get the economy kickstarted again asap

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 21, 2020 12:30 pm

They wont,
Some people same with showing the amount of tests they have actually done, same with showing how many of these key workers have died due to working round them.
THe PPE situation is also a bit of a joke
Saw a job posting the other day that said
"Must provide own PPE"
NAR M8!! the job should provide it

Did vist my mum the other day. Its weird talking to her via the window, its like some kind of zoo.

In kinda related things,
Got a phone call from the jobcentre enquiring about what ive been doing to look for work, I think I still have a job.
I am looking, but im classed as one of these "Low skills workers" (What ever those tossers are calling it)

The venue I work for is currently a temporary hospital and they got new contractors in (G4S)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Without wishing to get into the politics of it, the reason why the UK is locked down at the moment is pretty much because telling over-70s to self-isolate while everyone else carried on as normal wasn't working, and was just allowing the virus to propagate exponentially. And all while countries who'd locked down earlier were already showing some success in reducing the spread of the it.

The idea that there's some kind of macabre trade-off to be had between the lockdown and the economy shouldn't really pass muster either. Countries that haven't locked down are also suffering from downturns broadly comparable to those that have, so the experience is generally just the worst of both worlds. You could look at, say, India and Brazil for a couple who've both got rising virus numbers and rapidly shrinking economies because they didn't even start locking down until earlier this month. Then again, I'm not sure either could afford to pay everyone a subsistence wage to stay home, even if they wanted to.

So far as lifting restrictions goes, I don't think there's ever going to be a day when it's all back to normal. Rather, it'll be a gradual process of a few things at a time to see what the actual effect on the numbers is, with further lockdowns possible if they start to spike up again. Some things, music festivals and international air travel, seem a very long way off though and I can't see holiday cruises ever making much of a comeback.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 am

Oh, and just to be clear, the scientific advice to lock down was never predicated on the assumption that this was going to be an especially deadly disease to those who contracted it. Estimates of the lethality have been around the 1% mark since February, with it going down to 0.2% for healthy adults under 40, and as high as 16% for the over 80s.

Rather, the principal concern it's that it's extremely infectious. Estimates of the basic reproductive number, which is the number of people an infected person could be expected to pass it on to, put it at between 1.9 and 5.7. Combine that with a lengthy incubation period of up to two weeks and a general paucity of testing, and you can easily see how it was able to spread rapidly through a population before being detected. If measures to slow the spread of it weren't taken, we'd end up with a situation where nearly everyone contracted it. Even if only 0.2% of those died, that's a scarily high number when you consider an entire country.

Even after lockdown, this figure has only reduced to the 0.6-0.9 region in the UK. So, although the number of new cases has been declining for a while now, it would just need to increase slightly for that trend to be reversed.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 am

Things will slowly return to normal, this virus won't just disappear it will still be about.

It also turns out that they have been double counting the amount of people being tested, mouth swab and saliva from the same person being counted as two.

But still BE ALERT!!!

Edit - Apparently people can freely fly to the UK until after the 8th of June when they will be in 14 day quarantine.
Begs the question, why didn't they do this months ago?
You know before this become a thing?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat May 23, 2020 5:40 am

DPrinny wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:15 am
Things will slowly return to normal, this virus won't just disappear it will still be about.

It also turns out that they have been double counting the amount of people being tested, mouth swab and saliva from the same person being counted as two.

But still BE ALERT!!!

Edit - Apparently people can freely fly to the UK until after the 8th of June when they will be in 14 day quarantine.
Begs the question, why didn't they do this months ago?
You know before this become a thing?
Go tell the person doing the work to analyse the swab and the saliva and tell them they've only analysed one test.

Quarranting people coming in to the country when the virus is spreading wildly already in the country will have little effect on reducing cases; it's only effective in the early or later stages when cases are low. Same with contact tracing... it'd be impossible and pointless to do contract tracing when the virus is at it's peak. In hindsight when more is known about how it spread then of couse you can pinpoint when quarrentine could have been done months ago. Bear in mind that people weren't taking this that seriously until March... you can't go in to a lockdown too early because people won't buy in to it. The government went to great pains to explain that the timing has to be right because people eventually tire of it (and lo, this happened).
Xbox Live: RetroBob

merman

Post by merman » Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 am

Matt_B, it's not just about the elderly.

I am one of nearly TWO MILLION people below 70 who are having to "shield" due to medication or pre-existing conditions. That means I cannot go out and my stepdaughter is being cared for by relatives while my wife remains in hospital recovering from major surgery.

I am immune-suppressed, so the risk to me of catching coronavirus and being seriously ill or dying is much higher.

So I am shocked and appalled at the Government ministers and journalists defending Dominic Cummings and his wife who breached lockdown rules and travelled from London to Durham WHILE ILL WITH THE VIRUS.

He should be renoved from any position with the Government, the hypocrite.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 am

RetroBob wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:40 am

Quarranting people coming in to the country when the virus is spreading wildly already in the country will have little effect on reducing cases; it's only effective in the early or later stages when cases are low.
Exactly, as soon as it became a thing that spread we should of started quarantining people, rather than months afterwards the amount of cases would of been way less.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat May 23, 2020 11:51 pm

merman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:45 am
Matt_B, it's not just about the elderly.

I am one of nearly TWO MILLION people below 70 who are having to "shield" due to medication or pre-existing conditions. That means I cannot go out and my stepdaughter is being cared for by relatives while my wife remains in hospital recovering from major surgery.

I am immune-suppressed, so the risk to me of catching coronavirus and being seriously ill or dying is much higher.
My wife is immunocompromised too, so I'm definitely on your side there.

Still, the point is much the same. People who are in the lower risk groups acting recklessly because they're not concerned about the virus is just putting all the people in the higher risk groups at greater risk by allowing the virus to spread further and faster. Also, 0.2% equates to 1 in 500 which still don't seem particularly great odds when its your life at stake. And with numerous people around the world appearing to have been re-infected, it's not like surviving it once would guarantee immunity.
So I am shocked and appalled at the Government ministers and journalists defending Dominic Cummings and his wife who breached lockdown rules and travelled from London to Durham WHILE ILL WITH THE VIRUS.

He should be renoved from any position with the Government, the hypocrite.
Are we allowed to discuss Dominic Cummings on here? I know there's a ban on discussing politics, but he's not exactly a politician, is he?