JXD Mini arcade

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

JXD Mini arcade

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:27 am

Inspired by seeing one of Boyo’s videos I treated myself to this gadget...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ADgfr6O6A

Found it on amazon £79.99. Ordered it Saturday and came Monday

Anyway loving it ! Had a similar device but it only had capcom 1 and capcom 2 games and other emulators. This has MAME plus it’s easy to amend it as it’s on a memory card not on a chip. It comes with a 32 gig SD mini card. I’ll try and add games to it as a few are missing

Also comes with NES GB GBC GBA SNES MD and a PlayStation 1 game.

Anyway MAME is what I want it for. The portrait games like bomb jack are stretched full screen which is a shame but the device so far is superb. Always wanted a mini arcade like this. It’s very playable and the joystick is good. Well worth picking up

DPrinny

Re: JXD Mini arcade

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Ive been tempted to get one to fiddle with.
Like with all these mini arcades for casual use they are great, but propabliy won't want to play a game properly on it

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm

It looks just a little too small for me. An interesting toy maybe, but not something I'd comfortably put serious time into. Looks cheap, it isn't pretty. I'm wary too, since the JXD handheld I bought only lasted a few hours before the screen went wonky.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeah it is tiny, they've got a larger version which does look good but i couldnt easily find any UK links.

The one i got before was a 'Retro Arcade' and i admit that was very cheap materials plus didnt have MAME (Just Capcom CS1 and CS2), this ones better built for sure but also has some version of MAME. Just copying the SD Micro card before i start trying to add my own games etc.

I've got a bartop i love i just wanted some smaller mame type of arcade machine which is more portable

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Are they not all just Android systems you can install other emulators on? I'll swear the JXD thing I had was Android.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Not sure. Might be. When you start an emulator there’s no front end of it displayed

You can of course see the rom directories but you can’t view any emulator type of folder

Must be all built into the firmware

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:22 pm

Connected it to the tv as this device has an hdmi connection and it works very well. You do get two usb joypads with it but they really are rubbish. Tempted to get a good usb joystick for it and give it a go

The last similar device didn’t have hdmi so it’s a nice plus on this one.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:48 pm

The JXD S7800B handheld was Android based and used the HappyChick emulator front end, so you never really had to use individual emus, HappyChick dealt with emu and game installation and you'd just pick a game to play from a menu for a given system. Could be HappyChick or a variant again.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 11, 2020 7:46 pm

It looks a bit too Fisher Price for me and the original firmware only allows you to add games rather than new emulator cores, so you're stuck with what it comes with for the moment.

However, Johnny Liu has hacked the 7" version with a custom firmware that'll put RetroArch on it, bringing it up to Raspberry Pi 2 levels of emulation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfdY3mEakNg

Maybe someone will do something similar for the smaller version sometime.

Oh, and MAME is generally a dead loss on devices that don't have a fast x86 CPU, as you're stuck with a truly ancient version. Final Burn Neo is a far better bet. If you absolutely must run MAME on a handheld, maybe consider one of these once they hit the market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn55qTzzM-M

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:15 am

Ha ha yeah suppose it does look very Fisher Price. The one i had before was more basic and didnt look so good, dont mind the look of this one.

Tried adding a few MAME favourites to the folder but they werent picked up so it looks like i'm stuck with the games on it. Gutted its missing Out Run which surprised me but it seems to have most of my favourites so its not all bad.

Remember ages ago a guy was going to put MAME in like one of those old skool handheld type of LCD games we have in the early 80's but his indiegogo campaign didnt hit the mark and that seems to have faded away.

Bit pricey this for £79 but i must admit i really like it. Saving works very well and i'm using it a lot.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:55 am

Out Run. With a stick? Weirdo ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 am

Hahaha i know ! Its like i have crazy ROM OCD, want my favourites on a device. When in actual fact i should just enjoy the different games on a device as normally i wouldnt always touch those games.

So many MAME games, i need to broaden my horizon and play different ones

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 am

Edit - Out Run did work ! The games i added appeared below the A-Z games you get with the machine so you can add more, just appear at the bottom. Quite a few others didnt annoyingly work - Bubble Bobble Symphony/Breakthru but i'll add some more later to see if i can get other games to work. Could be the MAME version i'm copying over but then again Out Run worked.

I do have a huge sense of '18 year old me wouldnt believe it that i could have SO many MAME games on this device' i must admit. I dont mean i sit in awe of this machine for hours ! But along with GB/GBA/GBC/NES/SNES/Megadrive its a good little machine

merman

Post by merman » Tue May 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Watched a video of it and it's not bad. But I'm leaning more towards a Raspberry Pi at the moment.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Yeah it’s good there’s lots of choices out there. Amazing what some people can create with the raspberry pi.

Still would love a book on arcade games. Like an A-Z of the big names. Arcade fever is okay but just features old games. Greyfox was doing a book. Would love Bitmap Books to do one