Invaders V Galaxians V Gorf?.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

iosman001

Invaders V Galaxians V Gorf?.

Post by iosman001 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:27 am

Hello,

I've been playing these games since I was a little lad. They are all basically the same thing, but which of these games do you consider to be the very best?

My favourite of these (and others in the same vien) is Galaxians. (SPAM URL REMOVED) I love playing the Colecovision version, and I love Classic Axiens on the CPC.

Whats your favourite, and what computer/console is it on?

thanks
iosman
Last edited by iosman001 on Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crusty Starfish

Re: Invaders V Galaxians V Gorf?.

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 am

Galaga. That's the only game like that you need. :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 11, 2020 8:36 pm

Galaga > Galaxian > Space Invaders

I'm not sure quite where Gorf fits in though. It's obviously got stages like Space Invaders and Galaxian but I don't think they're as good as the original games, and the other stages play quite differently. Still, that does bring us to games like Phoenix and Moon Cresta, which do the whole multi-stage thing far better, although the resemblance to Space Invaders becomes even more strained.

So far as home versions go, I played a lot of Space Raiders, Galaxian, Pheenix and Moon Cresta on the Spectrum. Zalaga and Arcadians on the BBC Micro were both superb unofficial ports too.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue May 12, 2020 2:53 am

Space Invaders for me, purely from a sentimental point of view.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:17 am

Same with me. Never been a big fan of Galaxians, its a total arcade classic but i dont think i played it back in the day, Space Invaders was the huge nostalgic game i played tons. Gorf i remember playing in a motorway service station, loved the voice and the variety of levels.

Edit - Sadly another one of those new spam accounts where they must copy old posts then later add spam links in.

I've removed them from the first post and banned the user

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:47 pm

I love both Space Invaders and Galaxian and had them both on the Speccy!! :D

I have never heard of Gorf though, is it worth checking out?
Press Play On Tape

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Gorf is a significant bit of arcade/shmup history, so worth checking out on that point alone. That it remains a decent, playable game with a little variety in the levels makes that more so. It's certainly more interesting than Space Invaders to play, and the synthesised speech is one of the more memorable sounds of arcade nostalgia for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 18, 2020 7:05 pm

I don't think there was a good Spectrum version of Gorf back in the day, although B.A.R.F. is a pretty good recent effort to plug that gap. If you've played Space Invaders, Galaxian and Phoenix the individual levels might seem fairly familiar though, as it's mostly a mishmash of the same ideas.

I did play a fair bit of Gorf on the VIC-20, which was a bit of a killer app for the machine at the time. It looked quite impressive by 1982 standards, although the collision detection was awful.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Sun May 24, 2020 5:05 am

I have played Gorf a couple of times, it is ok, I like Space Invaders, it is a classic but I LOVE Galaxians, i play that all the time on my MAME Arcade machine, i have been playing that since the original in the arcade and my 48k Spectrum days

keedor

Post by keedor » Sun May 24, 2020 6:48 pm

During the late 1970's at my local Asda store, there were a couple of arcade machines - Galaxian and Space Invaders - near the doorway. These were the first games I ever played. My brother became very good at Space Invaders but Galaxian was by far my favourite. We spent hours on these game until one sad day when they were removed to make increased floor space available for more store products...

To this day, though, Galaxian has a special place in my heart!

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue May 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Time to throw a spanner in the works and say I preferred "The Galactic Plague" on the CPC... :D
Where logic won't work, I will