Sega 60th thing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Saturn mini coming?

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:01 pm

Hes been in Karmen Rider

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0297800/

Hes quite a busy actor

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 pm

I would buy one if the games were right. I sold my Saturn stuff ages ago but there's loads I used to enjoy on it and so many games I didn't get around to playing because they were either rare or stupidly expensive.

Plus it's crap how the emu has never been perfected and nothing ever gets re-released digitally.

You know what, I just want to be able to play Fighters Megamix again. In fact, a new one with a massively expanded select screen would be the greatest thing ever.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm

I'd be surprised.

Let's face it. Sega keep rehashing their Mega Drive games over and over because that's the only time they were a really big deal. Machines like the Saturn, Master System and Dreamcast only ever hit the mark for a niche audience, and simply don't hold the same nostalgia value for most. Also, I think the whole mini console phase has burned itself out with the Mega Drive one - despite being arguably the best of the lot - only just squeaking through the door at the last minute.

Some sort of cross-platform emulation package would be nice though, and the standard of community emulation isn't so bad these days that a carefully curated selection of titles couldn't pass muster. Again, I'm not waiting up for it though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm

The site changed to say "Bomb today"

Edit-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVV1hvg5a0&t=0s

I DONT KNOW ANYMORE!!

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm
The site changed to say "Bomb today"

Edit-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVV1hvg5a0&t=0s

I DONT KNOW ANYMORE!!
Seems we were close, that young chap is Segata's son.

https://www.siliconera.com/sega-introdu ... 2Kt1_Jesfk
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 pm
I'd be surprised.

Let's face it. Sega keep rehashing their Mega Drive games over and over because that's the only time they were a really big deal. Machines like the Saturn, Master System and Dreamcast only ever hit the mark for a niche audience, and simply don't hold the same nostalgia value for most. Also, I think the whole mini console phase has burned itself out with the Mega Drive one - despite being arguably the best of the lot - only just squeaking through the door at the last minute.
But by that logic, surely the PC Engine mini shouldn't exist? It was far more niche over here and in the US than any Sega product, yet the mini is still being produced for the West.

Then there are all those SNK/Neo Geo plug 'n play things that they've made in recent years.

The only thing that would (and will) hold a Saturn mini back is the amount of work that would have to go into it on Sega's part to even get the games running accurately and in a decent enough volume to make the product attractive. I can't see them dedicating the resources and money to that given the Saturn's niche appeal.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Re: Sega 60th thing

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:45 pm

In all honesty, I'm not sure the PC Engine Mini should exist in the West, at least not at this stage; that's not to say that the hardware won't be good - as early indications seem very positive - but that they've missed the boat. It's certainly not likely to shift that many units outside Japan, although I suppose it might yet be viable there. And who knows what's going on at Konami these days? They're a company whose finger seems to have slipped well and truly off the pulse when it comes to video games.

As for the Neo Geo ones, they first appeared back during the mini console boom - alongside various other even more obscure machines - and, in frank assessment, are a bit crap. In all those cases, it's not like they had a successful machine like the Mega Drive to endlessly rehash either, as Sega have done.

Also, if mere technical effort of emulation was the barrier, it'd be worth considering that a Master System Mini wouldn't have that issue and that machine was also rather more popular and enduring on the international stage than the Saturn. As such, if there ever is a follow up mini console from Sega, that's probably your best bet; after that, they'd probably go Dreamcast before Saturn too.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Well, I mean Konami did bother adding PC Engine games to the Wii U......in its last year before the Swtch came out and for a bit after so I dunno, maybe they know there's at least 10 people that pick these games up every chance they can. Even one text heavy game was released on the US and Europe eShops entirely in Japanese with zero translation.

Oh well, they're finally rereleasing Sunset Riders soon so I'm happy. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:47 am

Bollocks to all that
Wheres my GX4000 mini?

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:48 am

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:47 am
Bollocks to all that
Wheres my GX4000 mini?
Amstrad will probably get round to it in five years' time. And it will be the size of a breezeblock.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:19 pm

merman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:48 am
DPrinny wrote:
Bollocks to all that
Wheres my GX4000 mini?
Amstrad will probably get round to it in five years' time. And it will be the size of a breezeblock.
Ironically, they could get all the GX4000 games on it
One people would actually want to play on the other hand............

Pang was fun

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:45 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:19 pm
merman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:48 am
DPrinny wrote:
Bollocks to all that
Wheres my GX4000 mini?
Ironically, they could get all the GX4000 games on it
One people would actually want to play on the other hand............

Pang was fun
These days if you slap retro and cool on anything it'll sell reguardless, look at all the low grade tat thats sold fairly well of late.
Watching you sleep since 1990

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm

I only ever played a few games for the Saturn.

A couple of my Cousins had one and a couple of friends had one too.

But as others have said, there doesn't seem to be a nostalgic love for the Saturn like there is for the Mage Drive, Speccy, or even the DOS games.

However, seeing as I never played the Saturn all that much, it might be a good chance to discover what it was all about, so I shall keep an eye open on developments...
Press Play On Tape

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:36 pm

SpecChum81 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm
I only ever played a few games for the Saturn.

A couple of my Cousins had one and a couple of friends had one too.

But as others have said, there doesn't seem to be a nostalgic love for the Saturn like there is for the Mage Drive, Speccy, or even the DOS games.

However, seeing as I never played the Saturn all that much, it might be a good chance to discover what it was all about, so I shall keep an eye open on developments...
It varies tbh, it was the original home platform for Sega Rally, Daytona USA and House of the Dead (although not perfect) and in its Home country it was acctually very popular hence why most titles can be bought cheaper in their Japanese form.
Watching you sleep since 1990

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Yeah, the Japanese library is something you don't aim for a complete collection of. Ever.

While the US and Europe got a few hundred Saturn titles, the Japanese library is something crazy like over 1500 titles!
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.