Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Re: Is the forum in decline?

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:54 pm

Spector wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:31 am
I hope somehow it changes in the future 🙂
Let's make Retro Gamer great again!

(*runs and hides before yet another crappy political arguement kicks off* :lol: )
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 am
RetroBob wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am
I think one of the things we've done on this forum that has discouraged discussion is funnel topics in to mega threads. I.e. there is only one thread to discuss ALL Switch games, when many of these would merit their own.

Also, we don't have many sub forums... look at something like Atari Age, they are hyper organised! We've got large buckets and so they can appear cluttered.
There's nothing to stop anyone from making a game/system specific thread if they want to discuss anything in particular, it's just the way things worked out with the current posters. No point complaining that the threads aren't how you want them - just post as you see fit. Make your own specific threads instead of adding to a mega thread.

Sub forums are the bane of active discussion. With sub forums, users have to delve in to find things. Great if you've an active interest in a particular topic, but it greatly discourages finding anything new or interesting. How do you stumble on something potentially great if it's squirreled away in a bit of the forum you rarely if ever visit? Atari Age is a prime example of a bad forum in that regard, it has way too many categories.
I joined AtariAge purely for the Laird shenanigans (that are quite extraordinary!!). I've looked around and you are right, there are just too many sections to go hunting around! I'll hang around there though as it's far more active than here and seems to be a great bunch of people there.
The good thing about this type of forum is it is compact and I suppose the lack of people helps a little too! But if you want to keep a topic active, you have to keep posting in it and not let it go too far down the page.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:54 pm
(*runs and hides before yet another crappy political arguement kicks off* :lol: )
Well you'll be safe there then. Political discussion is banned here...

But yes, this forum is definitely much, much slower than it used to be. When I first joined, I could have this place open in another tab and the first page of topics in most of the subforums (especially the Games and Off-Topic) would sometimes be impossible to keep up with. Replies would come in thick and fast, new topics would constantly be generated and the particularly feisty threads would grow at a crazy rate.

Now it seems that only the top five or so topics in the main sections are active and there's usually little point in checking back for replies until at least the next day at the very earliest.

Ignoring all of the drama that kicked off here, the big personalities and those with lots to say have largely all gone. I think there's also a sense of being "talked out" about retro. No disrespect to newer members but people that have been around for ages probably struggle to reply to the same questions or muster up the enthusiasm to take part in topics they've seen a billion times before.

It is a shame because this was my first proper forum (I've certainly not made the same number of posts anywhere else) and I have a lot of good memories of the place. I've been posting a little bit more recently because there are still some great people here such as Shinobi, DPrinny and Shadowman.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:13 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:54 pm
runs and hides before yet another crappy political arguement kicks off
I disapprove of your political stance on pants

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm
I think there's also a sense of being "talked out" about retro. No disrespect to newer members but people that have been around for ages probably struggle to reply to the same questions or muster up the enthusiasm to take part in topics they've seen a billion times before.
We needn't only talk about about Retro games though, new games and hardware are coming out, many of which are retro inspired or related anyway. There's no shortage of things to talk about. Most of us are playing or buying something, just post about it. :)

The forum will only get busier if people make it get busier by posting. People checking in, seeing it quiet, and leaving again until someone else gets the forum going again will only help keep things quiet.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:37 am

Megamixer wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Well you'll be safe there then. Political discussion is banned here...

But yes, this forum is definitely much, much slower than it used to be. When I first joined, I could have this place open in another tab and the first page of topics in most of the subforums (especially the Games and Off-Topic) would sometimes be impossible to keep up with. Replies would come in thick and fast, new topics would constantly be generated and the particularly feisty threads would grow at a crazy rate.

Now it seems that only the top five or so topics in the main sections are active and there's usually little point in checking back for replies until at least the next day at the very earliest.

Ignoring all of the drama that kicked off here, the big personalities and those with lots to say have largely all gone. I think there's also a sense of being "talked out" about retro. No disrespect to newer members but people that have been around for ages probably struggle to reply to the same questions or muster up the enthusiasm to take part in topics they've seen a billion times before.

It is a shame because this was my first proper forum (I've certainly not made the same number of posts anywhere else) and I have a lot of good memories of the place. I've been posting a little bit more recently because there are still some great people here such as Shinobi, DPrinny and Shadowman.
I know they're banned now (they were the major factor in why I bailed from this forum in the first place so I'm fine with it) and I'm also aware where many of the old regulars went off to, be it the Canteen or beyond. I tried a stint at the Canteen myself but really didn't get on with it.

I agree with all the other things you've said. Asides from the political stuff I did also get to a point myself where I was struggling to be as enthusiastic posting about retro games as I used to be, even though I still enjoy playing them. As you say, there's only so many times you can discuss your favourite games over and over again when you keep seeing the same kinds of topics and questions appear.

I've mostly been hanging around Facebook groups in recent times but for some reason found myself missing some of the 'original' people I used to talk to regularly on here (yourself included) so decided to drop back in when Shinobi mentioned it to me recently. Like you, I've got way more posts here than anywhere else, even to this day so still consider it my 'main' forum even after being gone for so long. Maybe this time I'll finally hit my 10,000 post milestone. I was honestly a bit worried that all the people I knew would had moved on so it's been a relief to see familiar names still coming up.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:06 am

When I joined the Canteen even though it appears busy every thread was page upon page off Seph and Rodimus arguing with Koops telling them they where a pair of smarmy sock molesting badger smurfs.

And Clarance who was like Mean Machine from Judge Dread constantly angry.

But most of the people who joined the Canteen quit such as Flatapex, Vulture, Clarence, Daedalus Durst among others.

I imagine it’s much the same today a busy off topic but every other forum having no posts.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 pm

Think lots of forums are quiet. Facebook seems to be the popular thing now for chats etc, i'm not a huge facebook user (the type who doesnt have to check in at every place or take photos of all my meals etc) but the groups seem to be getting more and more popular. Joined a few and they're not too bad to be honest.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:50 pm

The only thing i ever use facebook for is marketplace .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Strangely the only thing I don't really do on FB is Retro games, mine just tends to be all Car stuff or Photography, I stay away from Marketplace as it's not really a protected service and anything pickup I now need help for.
Watching you sleep since 1990

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:37 am

The site randomly 404ing isnt helping
oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:50 pm
It can be the cause of some mirth

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:52 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:37 am
The site randomly 404ing isnt helping
oldtimer wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:50 pm
It can be the cause of some mirth
I'm not even getting a 404, just sticks on about blank or does the google sad face
Watching you sleep since 1990