From the Forum - Issue 204: The Nostalgia Effect

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From the Forum - Issue 204: The Nostalgia Effect

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 am

I feel like I'm doing fewer and fewer of these. You know the drill: we ask a question, you guys provide some answers, and some of them will be printed in the magazine based on the shadowy, opaque decision-making process we have.

So the PC Engine Mini is out in a couple of months, and we're interested to see how it will do - after all, many players in the UK will never have owned one because it wasn't officially released here. With that in mind, the question is this:

How much does nostalgia factor into in your retro gaming life?

There's quite a broad spectrum here, I think. Some people only ever revisit their old favourites, where other people will be perfectly happy enjoying new games on their favourite childhood system, but have no interest in ones they didn't previously own. I fall into the category of people who will both revisit their old favourites and look for new experiences on systems I never owned. There are even some people I know who weren't allowed games machines as kids, and thus have no nostalgic attachment to them at all!

RetroBob

Re: From the Forum - Issue 203: The Nostalgia Effect

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 am

Nostalgia for the games I enjoyed years ago is a major reason I love retro gaming - I love playing those old games, even those that aren't that good as it takes me back. It's also a jumping off point to then go on to play other games perhaps wanted to play but couldn't afford, or just interesting games that totally passed me by. The PC Engine Mini is a great example of this - I'd never even seen a PC Engine growing up but I have got one pre-ordered!

I agree with you Nick - it'll be interesting to see how it does; I hope it does well as that could keep the door open for more of these!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:00 am

Both. I enjoy playing the games I loved but also venture out into the worlds of other systems. I have found out in recent years the rather terrifying realisation that those rose-tinted glasses, once firmly welded on have somewhat lost their grip; the games I once felt superior on 'my' systems just plain and simply often aren't. How powerful the nostalgic effect can be! I think a lot of memories are tied up in the game as we play, and only with time - and a lot of it - can this positive projection be allowed to dissipate.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I play games I loved while growing up and like discovering enjoyable games I haven't played on those systems. As for new games, nostalgia wouldn't be worth anything if the games (such as Breath of the Wild) weren't great. As I don't play games that often, one thing about picking up an old game I'm familiar with is there's no learning curve to get going again - it's just pick up and play. The same applies to updates to series like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Learning curve to fun in an instant! :D

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:46 am

Well, one of my Christmas presents was The C64 so I think that proves nostalgia is a big thing for me.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:27 am

I answered on the twitter feed - but it's only nostalgia if you actually stopped playing the games which are now deemed "Retro" at some point.
Where logic won't work, I will

smccd

Post by smccd » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:48 am

The focus of my collection is changing towards games I used to play as a kid, away from games more generally considered cool.

Arnie

Re: From the Forum - Issue 204: The Nostalgia Effect

Post by Arnie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:33 am

For me it is just seeing what all the early machines can do and wondering how things would be different had other machines been more popular than the ones that were.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:47 pm

I find I am only really interested in systems and games that I owned growing up, Plus/4, Spectrum, Amiga and PC.
I would like to get into consoles, and have tried on several occasions, but I find my attention drawn back to what I know and love.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:05 am

Nostalgia's huge for me, you get that 'warm glow' the second you load up an old favourite from yesteryear which reminds you of your childhood. Reminds you of cycling back from town with this prized game in your bag. That new smell or printed card and the first time you load up the game to see the loading screen etc. All amazing memories. BUT I do also enjoy trying older games on other systems I never had as a kid. Not quite the same nostalgic factor but i love the 'old skool' graphics and sound of yesteryear. It may look dated but the gameplay is still as addictive for many of these games.

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 am

One of the good things about playing old games you played a s kid is that they look and sound EXACTLY the same as they did when you first played them. Old comics go brown and brittle. Books get dirty and creased. Computer games don't change with age!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 am

Nostalgia is what it is all about.

Sadly these days the whole "retro" thing has passed all that now.It has became a commercial money making venture for too many people.And just like sex. Companies and eBay sellers etc etc realise that
Nostalgia sells.

The days of going into gamestation and picking up megadrive games for £1.99,picking up cheap games at car boots etc,gone them days of that 10-15 years ago are now retro in themselves.

Same as the mag and forum.The forum is what it is now (dead)due to money,same as the mag originally it read as being a fanzine and you felt the enthusiasm the writer had for the subject.Now you can tell there just doing a job.
This is no way a dig a folks it's just evolution.
So yes I do get nostalgic but more for the late 90's to 2010 retro scene when it wasn't all about making a buck.

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 am

Nostalgia is what it is all about.

Sadly these days the whole "retro" thing has passed all that now.It has became a commercial money making venture for too many people.And just like sex. Companies and eBay sellers etc etc realise that
Nostalgia sells.

The days of going into gamestation and picking up megadrive games for £1.99,picking up cheap games at car boots etc,
gone them days are them days of 10-20 years ago are now retro in themselves.

Same as the mag and forum.The forum is what it is now (dead)due to money,same as the mag originally it read as being a fanzine and you felt the enthusiasm the writer had for the subject.Now you can tell there just doing a job.
This is no way a dig a folks it's just evolution.
So yes I do get nostalgic but more for the late 90's to 2010 retro scene when it wasn't all about making a buck.And things where more innocent it was all about helping others learning new things and having a laugh.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Nostalgia plays a huge part of it, not only the games you had but games you really wanted but couldn't get or afford at the time as well.

acidbottle

Post by acidbottle » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:05 am

Only want my shelves filled with games I want to play really, definitely not into buying for the sake of it or to complete a collection. It is getting more difficult to collect in any case, thankfully i held onto most of my collections from Spectrum and Amiga days.

A part of me wants to enjoy retro from that machines I never experienced but the escalating costs often prevent anything other than cursory emulation, which is not the same at all, especially with arcade machines.