Is there a way to get the old Windows games on a modern PC?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Is there a way to get the old Windows games on a modern PC?

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 am

I was playing the windows 10 version of Solataire the other day and it opted to deafen me with an Ad as I had my headphones in for music and it made me wonder if theres a way to get the old classic non phone appy versions again, and perhaps even Space Cadet pinball too (given Win 10's liking for old software I'm not confident my Maxis Pinball 95 disc will even work), anyone got a solution or even maybe an alternative?
Watching you sleep since 1990

legooolas

Re: Is there a way to get the old Windows games on a modern PC?

Post by legooolas » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 am

Run Windows 95 in a virtualbox VM?

I've done this after following some instructions on how to get everything working well enough (graphics performance, mostly) and it appears to work fine :) It's a bit heavyweight for just running Solitaire or whatever, but works!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am

legooolas wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 am

I've done this after following some instructions on how to get everything working well enough (graphics performance, mostly) and it appears to work fine :) It's a bit heavyweight for just running Solitaire or whatever, but works!
I don't have the disks for it anymore, had a look through but only seem to have 7 Home now, I was experimenting with Vms for running a few games that disagree with Windows 10 but it was giving driver issues.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 am
I was playing the windows 10 version of Solataire the other day and it opted to deafen me with an Ad as I had my headphones in for music and it made me wonder if theres a way to get the old classic non phone appy versions again, and perhaps even Space Cadet pinball too (given Win 10's liking for old software I'm not confident my Maxis Pinball 95 disc will even work), anyone got a solution or even maybe an alternative?
I have gotten a few apps that don't support Windows 10 to run by. (HDLoader comes to mind)
>Hold shift
>Right click
>Properties
>Run in compatibility mode
Then what ever version of windows, usually 7

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:11 am

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am
Sega2006 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 am
I have gotten a few apps that don't support Windows 10 to run by. (HDLoader comes to mind)
>Hold shift
>Right click
>Properties
>Run in compatibility mode
Then what ever version of windows, usually 7
Tried that, got various loaders and patches etc, even altered code, no Dice, some of its down to daft stuff too like old DRM not reading right so it errors out the programme.
Windows 10 is simply just not a legacy friendly system which could be in part why a lot companies were reluctant to part with 7 and even in some cases XP as they tend to stick with the same software packs for a really long time.

Main issue in this case is they were part of Windows so wasn't a seperate disc, the modern versions you now have to download from the Microsoft store and have been pumped full of ads and they are the official ones not a 3rd party app.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:12 am

Sorted it by digging through a few of those tutorial sites, seems to be all kosher with only the Plunger Animation being a bit iffy on Space Cadet.
It is the Windows 7 versions so no Haunted House or Robot card decks but atleast no deafening ads, I'll still dig out the Pinball disc and try and get it to work for a laugh though, it has 2 extra Tables on it to play which might keep me occupied for a bit.

legooolas

Post by legooolas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:36 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am
legooolas wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 am
I don't have the disks for it anymore, had a look through but only seem to have 7 Home now, I was experimenting with Vms for running a few games that disagree with Windows 10 but it was giving driver issues.
Not sure what's permitted to link to from here, but there's a well known site in the Windows World which hosts copies of lots of old versions of Windows, DOS, Unix and many other ancient OSes and applications, which is useful for installing in VMs to run old games :)

There's a tutorial on the virtualbox forums here : https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918 which shows the drivers etc to get things working on Win 95/98.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 am

legooolas wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:36 am

Not sure what's permitted to link to from here, but there's a well known site in the Windows World which hosts copies of lots of old versions of Windows, DOS, Unix and many other ancient OSes and applications, which is useful for installing in VMs to run old games :)

There's a tutorial on the virtualbox forums here : https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9918 which shows the drivers etc to get things working on Win 95/98.
Unless its been made officially abandonware or freeware or shareware (with owners permission) unfortunately can't be shared here, this includes Rom sites.

The vast majority of the stuff I've been fighting with is XP/Vista era, I'd acctually started building a P4 based box some years ago now to run the really old stuff but things got in the way and I never finished it and unfortunately since clearouts had happened resulting in everything but the 7 box going walkies and now I can't lug my old machines out.

One thing I kick myself over was I acctually once legally had access to most of the OS's and Adobe toolsets due to the course I was on, I only however took the Office pack home with me.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 am

I've actually kept my old XP system because most of the games I still have don't like working with my newer Windows 10 PC. Just because it's "obsolete technology" by many peoples' standards doesn't mean it isn't useful.
Where logic won't work, I will

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:55 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 am
I've actually kept my old XP system because most of the games I still have don't like working with my newer Windows 10 PC. Just because it's "obsolete technology" by many peoples' standards doesn't mean it isn't useful.
I do have a couple of PCs still about but atm I'm not really able to get them out of storage and wired up as I damaged my back about a year ago, the Win 10 laptop is a MSI Apache so it pretty much gets tasked with everything now, gaming wise I just tend to stick to console as that way it'll work with no issues (unless its made by Bethesda) and Controllers are a little easier for me to operate on my meds.

Langelinette

Post by Langelinette » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm

Launch it on a virtual machine it's actualy the best way, i think.

legooolas

Post by legooolas » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Langelinette wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm
Launch it on a virtual machine it's actualy the best way, i think.
Either that or get some old hardware to run it on - perhaps a laptop as they take up less space and you can easily replace the hard disk with an SSD (possibly via some adapters for 2.5" IDE), and once you've got it installed take an image of the disk so you don't need to go through the driver faff if anything trashes the filesystem.

I've got a couple of old laptops which I've used for exactly this purpose, and it's a nice straightforward way to run old games if you don't want (or can't, for whatever reason) to run them in VMs. Has the nice side effect that you'll probably have a licensed copy of Windows 95 or whichever version the laptop came with :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Pinball works just fine on Windows 10. It's only, after all, using DirectX for the graphics and sound and current versions are backwards compatible with it. Just download the installer (not going to give direct links but it's easy to find) and you're on your way.

Same goes for all the Windows 7 games such as Freecell, Hearts, Solitaire, and Minesweeper.

You might have problems running some of the games that came with very early versions of Windows, as Win16 is no longer supported, but Windows 3.1 runs well under DOSBox for a far more lightweight solution than a 9X or XP virtual machine.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 pm
Pinball works just fine on Windows 10. It's only, after all, using DirectX for the graphics and sound and current versions are backwards compatible with it. Just download the installer (not going to give direct links but it's easy to find) and you're on your way.

Same goes for all the Windows 7 games such as Freecell, Hearts, Solitaire, and Minesweeper.

You might have problems running some of the games that came with very early versions of Windows, as Win16 is no longer supported, but Windows 3.1 runs well under DOSBox for a far more lightweight solution than a 9X or XP virtual machine.
I keep meaning to fettle with DOSbox, I don't have the install disks to anything pre 7 now unfortunately but I've got the Win 7 games now installed as a tutorial site had mirrors for them with the relavent installers for Windows 10, Space Cadets installed so when I'm able I'll dig out the disc for Pinball and get theother tables on, keep meaning to have ago with Raptor too as it should be with it, I know GOG got it working on 10 so theres hope although a lot of the fixes for the Steam and GOG versions of games do not work on original copies (prime example being Pirates, I acctually had to rebuy it in the end).

When my health Improves I'll try and get one of my old towers to run and get hold of an old windows disc and solve all my problems but that could be a way off yet.