Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 am

Hahaha oops that reminds me to watch the rest !! Watched the first 30 mins and enjoyed it, just difficult for me watching this sort of stuff with the mrs around !! Need to go back and watch it ! Oops

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 am
Hahaha oops that reminds me to watch the rest !! Watched the first 30 mins and enjoyed it, just difficult for me watching this sort of stuff with the mrs around !! Need to go back and watch it ! Oops
:lol: I'm the same myself, I'll often watch them in chunks on the cross trainer when exercising so I can watch them in peace!

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey guys, I only just found out about the From Bedrooms To Billions Playstation Revolution kickstarter - does anyone know if this got finished & released? Or if it's still in produciton? For some reason I can't jump on the late backer link on their KickStarter page. The facebook page only has one post this year from May. I really hope the project didn't get canned =S
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:26 pm

ArcadeMYK wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 pm
Hey guys, I only just found out about the From Bedrooms To Billions Playstation Revolution kickstarter - does anyone know if this got finished & released? Or if it's still in produciton? For some reason I can't jump on the late backer link on their KickStarter page. The facebook page only has one post this year from May. I really hope the project didn't get canned =S
Totally forgot about that one! I have no idea but must do some digging! :)

***Edited - A quick google reveals its here and exists- At least as download, and Amazon Prime has it. The kickstarter page is still there. Hard to see if it's got the hardcopy released yet, the original BTB took AGES in that regard. And World 1:1 the movie has still yet to see a DVD release. But yeah, it's available to see via online...just checked again, yep DVD Blu Ray date still pending! Holy crap they take ages for those!

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:03 pm

Rob McCallum's "Box Art - a gaming documentary" is a series definetly worth watching.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:19 pm

ArcadeMYK wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 pm
Kickstarter update this week announced physical copies due February 2020 for backers, will be on general sale after that
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:36 pm

I liked 'From Bedrooms to Billions' but then I lived through that area in my youth ;)

Some of the ones I quite liked are:
Atari Game Over.
Chasing Ghosts, Beyond The Arcade.
Ecstasy of Order, The Tetris Masters.
From Bedrooms to Billions.
Get Lamp.
Indie Game, The Movie.
Man Vs Snake.
Minecraft, The Story of Mojang.
Video Games The Movie.
Moral Combat. (shows now 'hopefully' dying attitudes!)

Not about video games as such, but you may also like 'DEFCON The Documentary' and the 'BBS the Documentary' series.

Get Lamp, DEFCON, and BBS the Documentary should be free to download. They are niche but give a lot of insight into how things were.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Yes, the Get Lamp crowdfunder was one of the first ones I did I think, and really enjoyed it, with little extras and regular updates every step of the way.

Was thinking of picking up Nintendo Quest, but have heard mixed views on it so perhaps will just pay for a stream viewing or download

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:47 pm

I really didn't like Nintendo Quest.

Maybe if you're into throwing tons of money at collecting complete sets of games, most of which you'll never play, you might get something out of it. However, if you think that's a game for mugs, you'll probably find it fundamentally flawed like I did.

There's precious little in it about actually playing the games either.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:33 pm

Ah, okay, cheers for that. Sounds more like a reality show than a documentary!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Get Lamp... I hadn't seen that one, cheers guys, that was a good one. After that I watched the Infocom documentary also by Jason Scott, and I even preferred that one over Get Lamp.

Wish I'd kept track of the doco's Ive seen, starting to become forgetful in my older age :P But more often than not I find vid game documentaries to be good, if not very entertaining.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:16 am

I love the Speccy Addict films, some really good interviews with the folks that made some of my favourite games and magazines from that era. I'm glad to have backed all 3 on Kickstarter.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm

I think the one that blew me away the most way the Tetris players in 'Ecstasy Of Order". Prior to watching that, I thought I was a pretty decent gamer... but that sure set me straight! That was just out of this world.. their reflexes and powers of concentration really are otherworldly, just about.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:08 am

the_hawk wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:16 am
I love the Speccy Addict films, some really good interviews with the folks that made some of my favourite games and magazines from that era. I'm glad to have backed all 3 on Kickstarter.
Andy Remic has announced a new film, The 8-Bit Wars...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 am

The other week I came across this Doco:

Not for Resale Video Game Store Documentary (2019)
A feature-length documentary on local video game stores and the final days of physical media.
Youtube Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqI1mN55fM