Retro Gamer - Issue 201

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 201

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Loki:
I'm still reading the magazine, but the article described very clearly why it would either bomb or see another price entirely. With 192K combined, screenmodes eating more memory than the Amiga/ST and subsequently the pixel art doing too, I'd expect it to need at least twice the ram if not at least 512K. Try filling that up from tape - the floppy drive would be unavoidable then (if not at least for the random access).
If you think the Amiga forums have their fill of nutters throwing numbers and specs around and demanding better versions of game 'X' while comparing it to 'Y', I can only imagine what Loki followers would have gotten up to if the original spec was released.

Large Bass

Post by Large Bass » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:27 pm

I got the calendar but no nintendo book.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:02 am

Bought the mag for the first time in quite some time, primarily for the JSW feature (which was pretty fun) and Loki (which was really interesting). Some really good stuff in there, although still hard work reading some of the features with the choice of colour for background and text.

Pole Position I always thought was a very tough and not very fun racing game, partly due to the sudden turns and the fact that it was a free-spinning wheel. I actually had it in the 2600 and it was a really fun game with the joystick, and easily the best conversion I played (especially when you take into consideration the severe limitations of the console).

Fist 2 I never really understood. I played the game , then read the reviews hoping that I was somehow missing something as to why I was wandering around doing nothing, and kind of came to the same conclusion they did, in that the game was poorly designed. When you bring out a sequel to a fighting game - one which was as great as WOTEF - you're going to get a lot of disappointed people; imagine if the movie 2001 was the sequel to A New Hope.

It makes sense now that this was intentional, and that the game was how the designer intended it to be, but often when one man's dream is realised, many others are dashed and can leave to commercial failure. It's just a surprise that it made it passed playtesting onto the shelves. with respawning enemies and faster movement, it may well have been one of the greatest sequels of that time.

As for Loki ; was it ever more than a pipe dream? Having said that if Sinclair could throw crazy money at QL and C5 then who knows, but the prospect of the machine shipping with a tapedrive was just ludicrous.I can only assume that this was to massively cut costs and to make it backward compatible, but it would never have worked. Now if the Sam Coupe had been branded a Sinclair machine and been released around about 1987, it could have worked; but by that time Sinclair was run by Sugar's Amstrad, and there is no way they would have taken such a commercial risk.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:24 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:02 am
As for Loki ; was it ever more than a pipe dream? Having said that if Sinclair could throw crazy money at QL and C5 then who knows, but the prospect of the machine shipping with a tapedrive was just ludicrous.I can only assume that this was to massively cut costs and to make it backward compatible, but it would never have worked. Now if the Sam Coupe had been branded a Sinclair machine and been released around about 1987, it could have worked; but by that time Sinclair was run by Sugar's Amstrad, and there is no way they would have taken such a commercial risk.
I believe that if they had thought there were was a market for it and that the tech was good enough they could have given it a go. But as far as I have read, it was just vapourware at that time

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 pm

But on the other hand why would Amstrad sell the Sam Coupe? It already had the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC in the lowend market. The Sam Coupe wasn't a cheap machine to produce and the specifications weren't very good either. The Sam Coupe wouldn't really be a big step up.

The Sam Coupe was released in 1989. Late to the party...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:33 am

I agree that Amstrad wouldn't have taken the risk , far more likely have used the technology to expand their CPC side of the business. And yes, 1989 was too late , as by that time the Atari ST was showing what a great machine it was, was (at that time) equal to the Amiga, and was much more affordable (and generally had cheaper games). Plus, from what I saw of it, former Speccy owners saw the ST more of a spiritual successor to the Spectrum , whereas C64 owners were turning to the Amiga.

But in 1987, IF the technology was there, and IF Amstrad had had Sam Coupe machine available and called it the Spectrum +3 (instead of releasing a disc-drive based +2), it had the potential to rival the 16 bit machines. But absolutely, by 1989that ship had sailed.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm

It's pretty well known that the Loki was never more than a wishlist at Sinclair. Actual development didn't take place until Flare Technology was formed in the wake of the Amstrad takeover, with a demonstration machine - the Flare One - doing the rounds in 1988. This made it into some arcade machines - albeit of the quiz game type rather than anything that would actually use the graphics hardware to its full - so a home computer release in the same year wouldn't have been totally out of the question.

The SAM Coupe was pretty much built out of off the shelf hardware too, so an earlier release would have been possible. Pushing it forward to 1987, incorporating the Loki technology and releasing at the same price point as the +3 is probably asking a lot though. Maybe that could have happened had Sinclair remained intact, but they'd have needed a large injection of cash and the will to do it. With Sinclair himself wanting to make the machine that ultimately came out as the Z88, the Loki would probably have remained upon the back burner.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:17 am

So, does the copy of this at retail include the Nintendo guide? Or was it a subscriber only bonus, and if so, is it worth contacting customer service if I didn't receive it? Or is it like most things for subscribers, once you miss out, there is zero chance to get it from Future, and must now try to acquire it on the secondary market?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 am

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:17 am
So, does the copy of this at retail include the Nintendo guide? Or was it a subscriber only bonus, and if so, is it worth contacting customer service if I didn't receive it? Or is it like most things for subscribers, once you miss out, there is zero chance to get it from Future, and must now try to acquire it on the secondary market?
You know it's just a promotional catalogue right and not by the RG team?
I'm sure I have a spare lying around, if you want it that badly PM me your address and I'll send you one
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:17 am

To clarify, it isn't a little book of Nintendo features, it's just a load of ads for the Switch and its games. Not worth tracking down really.

It does have a discount code to apply to a purchase in the store though, but not sure when that expires as I don't have it to hand. It'd probably cost you as much in postage as it would save.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:42 am

Thanks for the info guys, I guess this isn't worth the time to acquire, so no great loss I suppose. In the future, if an item isn't going to be included, maybe it should be advertise on the back of the current issue stating it is being included.