Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:03 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:54 am
ALK wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:31 pm
House of the Dead 1+2 might be getting remade.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... C6qzZKDgC0
They really need to release House of the Dead 4 as well. Any idea if they will release some kind of light gun or will it use a single joy con?
House of the Dead 4 was re-released as a digital game for PS3. Just checked and it's only £6.49 but you need to use the Move controller with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't support G-Con 3 (unless that's missing from the Store description). Only ever saw a physical HotD4 cab the once and didn't get much time with it, unfortunately. The uzis were pretty cool though.

Other than Overkill, the best one imo is HotD2 for the awful dialogue alone. HotD3 is great but loses a lot on home consoles without the big shotguns from the arcade. As for the original, I've played the arcade version a few times but it was b*****d hard so I'd like a home version.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 am

Anybody got one of the Switch Lite's? I know it's seen as the "pointless" version but I was tempted, mostly because I don't plan on having anything else hooked up to the crowded TV. Also not really bothered about multiplayer either, just stuff like Fire Emblem and the SP stuff, so the non-detachable controllers aren't an issue.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 am
Anybody got one of the Switch Lite's? I know it's seen as the "pointless" version but I was tempted, mostly because I don't plan on having anything else hooked up to the crowded TV. Also not really bothered about multiplayer either, just stuff like Fire Emblem and the SP stuff, so the non-detachable controllers aren't an issue.
Nope, don't have one and don't intend to get one (since I love being able to play games on the big screen then just pick up and carry on during my lunch break at work). Multiplayer isn't an issue on the Lite though, since you can still connect other controllers to it for that. I often chuck my regular Switch onto a stand and use the pro controller, leaving the joycons attached anyway, so the Lite is no different in that respect. If you're confident you'll never want to use the TV option, the Lite is a good entry to the system. I wasn't sure about it to start with, but loving it now it has a decent library of games. Mind you, I've missed a lot of the indie stuff and ports on other platforms.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd think there are two markets for the Switch Lite. Homes that already have a Switch are unlikely to need a second one that can be attached to a TV, so a pure handheld would suit them.

Also, if you're upgrading from a slab 2DS, it's about as portable as that, at least. I'd like to see an even smaller iteration though before it's a true successor to the 3DS, and ideally a return to the clamshell that they've favoured since the GBA SP.

Anyway, I've managed to play 160 hours of Fire Emblem without needing to detach a Joycon yet, so you're pretty safe with that. Snipperclips is the only one I've played where you really need it, although it's sometimes come in handy for ad hoc games of Mario Kart.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 pm

I'll get one eventually, but considering we might still see a "Pro" model down the line and next gen systems next year, probably not anytime soon.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:46 am

Picked up Moon Cresta , can't go wrong for £3 really. Still great fun, takes me back to 1983 all over again.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm
I'd like to see an even smaller iteration though before it's a true successor to the 3DS, and ideally a return to the clamshell that they've favoured since the GBA SP.
Conversely, the small screen is the one thing I don't like about the Switch. If they ever come out with an XL variant with a 10" screen, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Portable gaming doesn't need to be pocket gaming.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:15 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm
I'd like to see an even smaller iteration though before it's a true successor to the 3DS, and ideally a return to the clamshell that they've favoured since the GBA SP.
Conversely, the small screen is the one thing I don't like about the Switch. If they ever come out with an XL variant with a 10" screen, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Portable gaming doesn't need to be pocket gaming.
MC Hammer pants...............

OR!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:26 pm

My current Switch fits comfortably in the pocket of my fishtail, but anything bigger can be chucked in a bag. Let's not forget I used to play games on my laptop on the bus every day, so big screen gaming on the go is nothing new to me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:46 pm

We got six different models of 2/3DS in the end so maybe they'll do both a larger and a smaller one at some point.

I've a feeling that if there is to be a Pro model, it'd probably have to be a fair bit bigger as they're simply not going to get the processing to offer a significant graphical improvement without also upping the power consumption. There just isn't a chip on Nvidia's roadmap that can match the processing power of even the first generation of XBox 1 and PS4 without blowing out to 30W, although that's pretty impressive when you consider that they both drew upwards of 100W. Still a 10" model would have just enough bulk if they wanted to go there.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Looks like you can add Duke Nukem 3D to the ever growing line up of retro shooters on Switch.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... witch_date
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Well Terry seems to be a decent
Bugs me that his burning knuckle motion is reverse what it is

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:17 am

Couple of the NEO GEO titles are now half price to celebrate Terry in Smash.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... ercent_off
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Terry's a blast to use in Smash Bros. Its funny just how well he (and the Capcom bros) translate to Smash while still retaining their trademark fighting styles, though I put that down to Sakurai and co. just having such a great eye for detail when it comes to these things. Top notch list of tracks as well for Terry's stage, Metal Slug, KOF, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Athena/Psycho Soldiers... they went all in with the SNK fan service there. His classic mode run is badass as well. Definitely the most fun I've had with a DLC character, though all have been excellent pics (with Banjo & Kazooie being my next favourite after Terry).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Apparently if you pre-orded the digital version of Samurai Shodown on the Switch early next year, you also get the Samurai Shodown 2 Neo Geo Pocket Colour game. Think I'd still prefer a physical version, assuming there is one.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823