In case anyone thought that Atari console was actually going to happen...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

blakespot

In case anyone thought that Atari console was actually going to happen...

Post by blakespot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:05 pm

From The Register:

"Game over: Atari VCS architect quits project, claims he hasn’t been paid for six months"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/0 ... ect_quits/

That whole thing has seemed as dodgy as hell, even before they announced Tempest 4000 as being a launch title, with Minter and Giles responding with a "WTF?"

Oy.

bp
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Elgin_McQueen

Re: In case anyone thought that Atari console was actually going to happen...

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Only started reading about this after the Reddt mess. Seemed like there was a chance that something decent could still come out of this. That article makes it all sound a complete waste of money though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 pm

And as if by magic, the Atari twitter account status putting out "positive" tweets to hype the vapourware... I mean hardware.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 am

Didn't Antstream just do a deal with them too?!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:48 am

I don't think there was ever much chance of anything coming out of this other than a mini PC made from off the shelf parts in an admittedly nice looking retro case, although they've made hard work of even that piece of low-hanging fruit.

Still, lawsuits, disgruntled former employees dishing the dirt, lumps of plastic being passed off as prototypes, misleading updates, missed deadlines and being too shady for even Indiegogo...

This is about as bad an advert for crowdfunding as it gets. It's like the Chameleon, Gameband and Vega+ all rolled into one. I'd hope for a happier ending for those who backed it but I'm rather glad that I didn't.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 am

I was very wary of this, especially after Vega+. Although more interested in the Intellivision project personally. But was hoping to be proven wrong for the backers sakes

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm self employed and I know loads of other people who are and there's no way anybody would keep working if they were more than a couple of weeks out of pocket. To way they haven't been paid for 6 months sounds a little over dramatic.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm
I'm self employed and I know loads of other people who are and there's no way anybody would keep working if they were more than a couple of weeks out of pocket. To way they haven't been paid for 6 months sounds a little over dramatic.
To be fair I would assume the guy would be a freelance tech type guy, and would be getting an income elsewhere to feed his family- my reading was that these particular employers had not paid him anything in those six months rather than him making no income whatsoever from anywhere. And you would have to be damn dedicated, a real labour of love, to keep working away on a project without getting paid even if it was only part of the income. I would imagine a mechanic would refuse to continue to keep working on a car if the owner didn't;t pay up, even if they did have a few other clients cars they were working on at the same time :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 am

The name Atari must give people such a feeling of warm fuzzies that all thought of getting paid promptly goes out of the window.

There seem to be rather a few people who've either walked away unpaid or have had to sue them, at any rate.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am

Shame if this is another one going to pot.

Also be interesting to see how Anstream are doing, decent idea but hmmm

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Believe me, in business where things are settled by invoices, delays like this are not uncommon. There are plenty of companies who will sit on an invoice for as long as possible, earning interest on the money while it stays in their account, or simply because they don't have the money to pay in the first place.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:31 pm

It's believable because they did it before to Feargal Mac, the guy who started the project, and he ended up taking them to court over it. I can understand why they wanted to sever ties with him, because his Gameband project turned into a high profile crowd funding failure, but that doesn't mean they can refuse payment for work that has already been done.

They've also been sued in recent years by Chris Sawyer and Frontier Developments, both relating to the non-payment of royalties on Rollercoaster Tycoon games.

It's sad to say this, but that just appears to be the way Atari does business these days.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:19 pm

We've all seen dodgy Kickstarters before, but to see a company with the pedigree of Atari doing it is really shocking. At least with the Coleco Chameleon, Coleco weren't actually making the thing - just licencing their name to the actual manufacturers.

It's a shame because I really believed that it could have been a good product and that Atari could have had a cool little machine on their hands. But as soon as details started to emerge it all felt a bit iffy - was it a retro box for playing old 2600, 5200 and 7800 games? Was it a modern console with modern games? Was it a Linux-based computer with streaming box functions? The answer appeared to be 'all three at once' which just felt confusing and pointless.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am
Shame if this is another one going to pot.

Also be interesting to see how Anstream are doing, decent idea but hmmm
I love Antstream! Saves faffing around with emulators and simple to use.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:27 am

I will admit, I'd pay Atari some money right now... If they released the case they have designed for the VCS as a Raspberry Pi one.

Won't ever buy a VCS, though.