What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by ALK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:29 pm

AEW Dynamite- Pretty good debut episode for the new promotion. ITV botched it a bit editing out some stuff, but I'll certainly be watching every week.

Its up on ITV Hub if anyone wants to check it out.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 pm

I have just started watching Stranger things, from season one. Never bothered getting Netflix, so it's been a long time coming.

And loving it :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:57 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 pm
I enjoyed Yesterday. It's obviously good as Beatles homage, but also works as a humorous critique of the music industry and the obstacles it places in the way even of musicians who really do have some world class material to call upon. There's some laugh-out-loud comedy too.

On the downside Ed Sheeran seemed very wooden and a bit superfluous, and it rarely explores the consequences of a world that never had The Beatles. A couple of moments where it did suggests that they missed the chance to make something truly profound out of it. Still, it's worth a watch especially if you like the music.
I'm a massive fan of the Beatles, and when I first saw this movie I left the theatre both having enjoyed it and feeling disappointed, and had no idea why.

I later thought it was because I was expecting a few cameos- Perhaps Ringo driving a taxi, or George Harrisons son in cafe, that sort of thing. Having said that it was a movie I really enjoyed

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 pm

merman wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 pm
Loving the first two episodes of What We Do In The Shadows, spin-off from the film of the same name.
Keep an eye out for a show called Wellington Paranormal, by the same kiwi makers. Same deadpan humour and worth checking out.

I watched Slaughterhouse Rulz last night, featuring Pegg/Frost. It was okay, although far weaker than earlier movies featuring those guys

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:15 am

ALK wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:29 pm
AEW Dynamite- Pretty good debut episode for the new promotion. ITV botched it a bit editing out some stuff, but I'll certainly be watching every week.

Its up on ITV Hub if anyone wants to check it out.
Yeah it was good, I noticed WWE stepped their game up with Smackdown too, one of their best TV shows in a long time.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

merman

Post by merman » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:14 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 pm
merman wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 pm
Loving the first two episodes of What We Do In The Shadows, spin-off from the film of the same name.
Keep an eye out for a show called Wellington Paranormal, by the same kiwi makers. Same deadpan humour and worth checking out.

I watched Slaughterhouse Rulz last night, featuring Pegg/Frost. It was okay, although far weaker than earlier movies featuring those guys
They haven't shown it over here yet...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I've had some free time so I re-watched District9 and Chronicles of Riddick. Both films CGI have really aged badly - I remembered them having pretty solid effects but Riddick especially looked like a PS2 game - though still better than that Riddick film they made not so long ago (itself just a remake of Pitch Black but not as good, despite Katie Sackhoff getting her tits out).

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Joker, very good. Not really a satisfying sort of film, but a thoughtful and entertaining one none the less. Joaquin Phoenix probably just won himself an Oscar.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:25 am

I've been playing tons of Friday the 13th The Game this year, so for Halloween it made sense to finally check out more of the movies. Only saw the first 2 before, but they brought out a blu ray recently with the first 8 movies.

So in a short summery, and by 80s slasher film standards.

1- Decent
2- Forgettable
3- Good
4- Decent
5- A goddamn cartoon thats so bad its good! XD
6- Best one. They had a lot of fun with this one I can tell.
7- Good
8- Silly, but good

Probably watch the rest next year.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:11 pm

ALK wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:25 am
I've been playing tons of Friday the 13th The Game this year, so for Halloween it made sense to finally check out more of the movies. Only saw the first 2 before, but they brought out a blu ray recently with the first 8 movies.

1- Decent
2- Forgettable
3- Good
4- Decent
7- Good
8- Silly, but good

9 (Jason Goes to Hell) is pretty pap imo. I know this is Friday the 13th (so no realism, then) but they didn't even bother explain how he survives that acid/waste at the end of Part VIII. Jason is simply back. The plot is generally rubbish and the only redeeming feature is the final scene.

10 (Jason X) is so crazy that it's brilliant. Again, doesn't really continue the canon like the first eight did, but it doesn't really matter here because it's an entertaining standalone film.

The remake was pretty decent but I wouldn't have bothered watching it again.

Shame that a mooted sequel to the remake was canned. I'm a big Friday the 13th fan but these sorts of films died out for a while and when they do get released, they will never do the amount of sequels that they did in the 80's for slasher flicks. Better to just reboot, reboot and reboot some more.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:36 am

Shame that a mooted sequel to the remake was canned. I'm a big Friday the 13th fan but these sorts of films died out for a while and when they do get released, they will never do the amount of sequels that they did in the 80's for slasher flicks. Better to just reboot, reboot and reboot some more.
I believe the franchise is stuck in some kind of legal lawsuit limbo right now, hence which there's no news of any new film and why the DLC came to an abrupt end for the Game. Sounds like it might go on for awhile longer, but I'd like to hope maybe it could come back someday with a new movie in the future. Halloween did well last year which is leading to 2 direct sequels next year and the year after, so who knows.

Besides, if it fits which any past story or not, I doubt they can resist calling the next one Friday the 13th Part 13 anyway (If you count Freddy Vs Jason)... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Freddy vs Jason was awesome. Nobody, other than Robert Englund, can do Freddy which is why I didn't really care for the NoES remake.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:29 am

ALK wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:25 am

1- Decent
2- Forgettable
3- Good
4- Decent
7- Good
8- Silly, but good

Friday the 13th 9 and 10 aren’t Canon as a different company bought the rights. Originally Billy was supposed to don Jason’s mask for 6 but after the backlash they brought Jason back as an Undead Zombie.

I always wondered if 5 was Originally intended as a different film as Jason mostly remains offscreen, and Billy comments after the girl removes Jason mask.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Yeah, Friday was originally Paramount then the franchise was acquired by New Line Cinema hence why Freddy Vs Jason was even possible.

I think the sequel that was titled "The New Beginning" was supposed to be the end of Jason but, as Shinobi said, they changed it all.

Personally, I really like Jason Takes Manhattan. It's so ridiculous and far removed from how the franchise began but it's also so hilarious.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:11 am

I 've been looking at wheeler dealers and chasing classic cars on discovery channel, also a lot of GINX Esports tv channel I watch daily download,top 10, the first hour, origns, the GMM ( hasn't been back lately hope it comes back soon) it's a very good channel.