Dave Perry

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Andy Dale

Dave Perry

Post by Andy Dale » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 am

Why does Dave 'Games Animal' Perry refer to himself as this fighting game god and the best player in the country etc?

Big Boy Barry destroyed him at Street Fighter 2 on Games World.

Skip to 6 minutes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibB20PRJ3cg

I thought Perry was supposed to be this totally dominant beast at that game.

I do think he was set up to fail on Gamesmaster though to be fair. If you watch the whole episode, he was set up in the What Happened Next? round.

Skip to 6 minutes again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WiRApFZiAk

I'm kind of on the fence with this bloke. If he calls himself a fighting game god despite getting mauled at Street Fighter 2 then that's obviously a reason to dislike him, but at the same time I do feel a bit sorry for him because everyone sees him as this childish man who sulked on TV just because he lost at Mario 64. I think he was angry because he WAS set up on that episode of Gamesmaster.

dave3622

Re: Dave Perry

Post by dave3622 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:45 am

I've heard many stories about Dave Perry. The bloke is a complete and utter bell end!

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:21 am

dave3622 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:45 am
I've heard many stories about Dave Perry. The bloke is a complete and utter bell end!
Can any of these stories be shared here?

merman

Post by merman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 am

FUSION magazine has been printing a column from the Games Animal in recent issues, some interesting insights into what was happening behind the scenes...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks Merman.

I was just reading this interview he did and he seems to contradict himself.

"When I was playing competitively you had one console or the other, one computer or the other. An Amiga or an ST. NES or Master System. Mega Drive or SNES. Now people have so many different machines in their homes... where’s the brand loyalty?" - Dave Perry

"I am an avid iPad gamer. I play War Dragons three or four hours a day. I love it. But I also still play PlayStation, Xbox 360 and of course my Arcade Cabinet at the shop as often as possible." - Dave Perry

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... o_mario_64

So he's preaching about how people should have brand loyalty and pick one machine or the other like they did back in the 90s while he owns snd uses an iPad for gaming, a PlayStation, an Xbox 360 and an arcade cabinet.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:53 am

That Games Master episode was very entertaining - I've never really known if Dave was genuinely angry or just playing to the cameras.

What was even more amusing was how seriously the whole thing was taken, and that it applied to Mario slowly sliding at 1mph on his bum and then falling off the edge - which was funny in of itself.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:57 am

This must be the stupid Dave Perry, not Z80 God Dave Perry :) Who is this guy and how do you know about him? Is he kind of famous?

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 am

Yes I did think it was the same person that created Earthworm Jim for a while !

He used to be on the Games Master TV show as a guest/pundit. Believe he was a competition player back in the day - dont know much more than that though unfortunately!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:40 am

Andy Dale looking through my old mags the other day Dave Perry was editor for Games World mag. He acted the same, owned every import console and game/best Street Fighter 2 player In the western world...

He’s very active on Facebook gaming forum and he does rip people a new one if they mentioned the Mario Games Master
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm always weary of judging a person by how they come across in the media. Anyone can trash talk in a game session and be handed their ass on a plate! But it is hard to assess a person if you don't really know them, and I'm really uneasy about jury by social media which happens so much in modern times. Billy Mitchell is a good example. He gets absolutely crucified, but while his game persona probably doesn't help, while he's guilty of some big mistakes (who isn't, to some degree) people forget work with make a wish etc.
Dave Perry, yeah, he might be a bit of a bad sport and regards to not taking a loss well lol....but as a human being probably an okay guy, but I have no idea as I don't know him.
I do enjoy Earthworm Jim though!

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:40 am
Andy Dale looking through my old mags the other day Dave Perry was editor for Games World mag. He acted the same, owned every import console and game/best Street Fighter 2 player In the western world...

He’s very active on Facebook gaming forum and he does rip people a new one if they mentioned the Mario Games Master
How can he be the best SF2 player if he lost to Big Boy Barry?

He also said he didn't own an import N64 or Mario.

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:40 am

kiwimike wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 pm
I'm always weary of judging a person by how they come across in the media. Anyone can trash talk in a game session and be handed their ass on a plate! But it is hard to assess a person if you don't really know them, and I'm really uneasy about jury by social media which happens so much in modern times. Billy Mitchell is a good example. He gets absolutely crucified, but while his game persona probably doesn't help, while he's guilty of some big mistakes (who isn't, to some degree) people forget work with make a wish etc.
Dave Perry, yeah, he might be a bit of a bad sport and regards to not taking a loss well lol....but as a human being probably an okay guy, but I have no idea as I don't know him.
I do enjoy Earthworm Jim though!
I see your point but I think if you go around telling folk you're the dog's bollocks for decades, and then you get caught cheating, you deserve to be berated for it.

Do you think Mitchell played Donkey Kong on an official cabinet? How do you explain the girder discrepancy?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Who the f*** is Dave Perry? Lol seriously this guy hasn't been in the media for years. If his claim to fame is being a badass SF2 player and getting turned over with Mario64 on Gamesmaster 20 years ago who cares what he's doing now?

I think I recall the episode. It was the slide see down the inside of the snow mountain wasn't it?
On a side note, who knew Dexter Fletcher, the friggin' worst presenter ever, would end up a big deal in Hollywood?

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:09 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:39 pm
Who the f*** is Dave Perry? Lol seriously this guy hasn't been in the media for years. If his claim to fame is being a badass SF2 player and getting turned over with Mario64 on Gamesmaster 20 years ago who cares what he's doing now?

I think I recall the episode. It was the slide see down the inside of the snow mountain wasn't it?
On a side note, who knew Dexter Fletcher, the friggin' worst presenter ever, would end up a big deal in Hollywood?
Dexter FLetcher: big Hollywood guy.
Dave "The Games Animal" Perry: Tattoo artist in Devon, and sh*t Youtuber.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:26 am

To be fair to Fletcher, he got to be a director of Hollywood blockbusters on the back of a successful acting career that started way before Gamesmaster.

Perry, on the other hand, came out of obscurity and went back there when it finished.