The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: The most disappointed you've ever been in a release

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:30 am

I'm gonna to take a different angle and say the most disappointed I've been in a release in recent times is the PS classic mini console.

From initial anticipation and pre ordering, to trepidation as Sony dragged the chain on the title list, to cancelling the preorder, then finding out what you'd expect to be on it wasn't, and finding out to make it decent you had to add emulation from online.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 am

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:30 am
I'm gonna to take a different angle and say the most disappointed I've been in a release in recent times is the PS classic mini console.

From initial anticipation and pre ordering, to trepidation as Sony dragged the chain on the title list, to cancelling the preorder, then finding out what you'd expect to be on it wasn't, and finding out to make it decent you had to add emulation from online.
certainly agree with this, I am also disappointed at the c64 mini which seems to have a very disappointing joystick. Such seminal systems as the PS1 and C64, surely you would want them to be perfect in their newest iterations, and to find them not so really was very disappointing as I was planning on purchasing both.

But to me, if they aren't perfect at least in terms of playability and a decent joystick for heavens sake, what's the point? Why issue a half-assed or almost-there product, do it properly or not at all.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Yeah, the bundled controller with the C64 Mini was a bit of a bust, but luckily it's got off the shelf support for a lot of alternates. Have a look on here, as you may already have something suitable to give it a new lease of life.

https://gurce.net/c64mini/hardware_compatibility_lists

As for the PS Classic, I think Sony just took their eye off the ball. Doing the bare minimum amount of hacking to get all the games running at 60 Hz and with appropriate filters is all it really takes to lift it to the level of the Nintendo Minis. Beyond that, I'd think that expectations were just unrealistic.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 pm
Yeah, the bundled controller with the C64 Mini was a bit of a bust, but luckily it's got off the shelf support for a lot of alternates. Have a look on here, as you may already have something suitable to give it a new lease of life.

https://gurce.net/c64mini/hardware_compatibility_lists

As for the PS Classic, I think Sony just took their eye off the ball. Doing the bare minimum amount of hacking to get all the games running at 60 Hz and with appropriate filters is all it really takes to lift it to the level of the Nintendo Minis. Beyond that, I'd think that expectations were just unrealistic.
Cheers Matt, I mean I am glad there is the ability to 'remedy' the c64 mini but that's my point, why don't they do it in the first place, why not make a truly great joystick - its not like they don't have the ability, and surely the passion shouldn't be waning to undertake such a project in the first place. You would think it wasn't just for the money, but maybe they were.. who knows.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:30 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Cheers Matt, I mean I am glad there is the ability to 'remedy' the c64 mini but that's my point, why don't they do it in the first place, why not make a truly great joystick - its not like they don't have the ability, and surely the passion shouldn't be waning to undertake such a project in the first place. You would think it wasn't just for the money, but maybe they were.. who knows.
I think it's worth bearing in mind that, while the people involved certainly had the passion and ability, they didn't have Sony/Nintendo levels of money and expertise behind them. Those two companies each have an entire department devoted to nothing but designing, building and refining their controllers - so we've rather got used to them delivering near perfection on a regular basis - and three guys on a shoestring and with a zillion other things to get done before a tight deadline just aren't going to be able to compete with that.

Still, I'd agree that it's particularly awful. The one in the DTV is better than it even, and that was hardly a masterpiece in itself. It's not a plus that you effectively have to use your own controller, but a saving grace that you can.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:30 pm
ncf1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm
I think it's worth bearing in mind that, while the people involved certainly had the passion and ability, they didn't have Sony/Nintendo levels of money and expertise behind them. Those two companies each have an entire department devoted to nothing but designing, building and refining their controllers - so we've rather got used to them delivering near perfection on a regular basis - and three guys on a shoestring and with a zillion other things to get done before a tight deadline just aren't going to be able to compete with that.

Still, I'd agree that it's particularly awful. The one in the DTV is better than it even, and that was hardly a masterpiece in itself. It's not a plus that you effectively have to use your own controller, but a saving grace that you can.
good point, if limitation was the reason, and that was the best they could do, so be it. I guess its a personal thing, if I put something subpar out in my mind, I wouldn't be able to sleep! I'd sell houses (even those I didn't own) to raise capital to produce a better product. :D But no, I don't know the backstory, whether they are happy with the final product, what they went through, so might have to read up and find out what I can about it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm
good point, if limitation was the reason, and that was the best they could do, so be it. I guess its a personal thing, if I put something subpar out in my mind, I wouldn't be able to sleep! I'd sell houses (even those I didn't own) to raise capital to produce a better product. :D But no, I don't know the backstory, whether they are happy with the final product, what they went through, so might have to read up and find out what I can about it.
Yeah, do some reading on it, as the project has a complicated history, starting out as a crowdfunder that failed, being continued at their own expense for a while, and finally being completed with commercial backing.

They are working on an improved version of the stick too, which should ship with the full sized model. It's a bit late for the Mini, obviously, but it's certainly not lost on them that there's room for improvement.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:36 pm

For me Delta Force : Urban Warrior was by far the most disappointing game in that franchise I've ever played - it remains - to date - the only game I've traded back into a shop.
Where logic won't work, I will

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:53 pm

One that always springs to mind for me is WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game for the Mega Drive.

I thought the Wrestlers looked amazing, and I liked the roster, small though it was, but I thought it was a terrible game.

I get that it was an arcade game, and it was their version of something like Mortal Kombat but I just didn't like it as there was next to no actual Wrestling!

WWF Raw was brilliant, so I remember being all excited when I went buying this, getting it home, playing it and just feeling like I'd wasted my money, which is something I seldom ever said for another Mega Drive title...
Press Play On Tape

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:41 am

There was a while where everything RareWare touched seemed to be gold. The reviews for Banjo Kazooie were great, so I was very excited, and this was after Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing and GoldenEye proved Rare was making awesome games for N64. Only, I didn't like Banjo Kazooie. I thought things might change with Donkey Kong 64 (DKC2 is an all-time favourite game), but I didn't like that either. Especially after Mario 64, Banjo and DK64 felt flat.

There was also a wrestling game on the Gamecube that was awful - this after the awesome No Mercy and WWF Wrestlemania on N64 (is there a better wrestling game yet? The game mechanics were pretty much perfect). It's the only game we've ever returned for a refund. My bro' wrote (a paper letter) to the developers and received a response.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Team Sonic racing
Lack of tracks, lack of characters, GP mode that has levels that require you to be perfect and confusing power-ups.

It has none of the charm that Transformed had

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:49 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:56 pm
Team Sonic racing
Lack of tracks, lack of characters, GP mode that has levels that require you to be perfect and confusing power-ups.

That's a shame. Transformed was a real surprise and became one of my favourite kart games.

I'd completely forgotten about Team Sonic Racing and was actually thinking about getting it the other day, off the back of Transformed being so good.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:56 pm
Team Sonic racing

I thought you where going to say Red Ninja lol

I saw Team Sonic today very cheap in Sainsburys luckily you pre-warned me
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Transformed had a perfect balance in its World tour mode.
Team is more like too easy then VERY HARD!
Ring collecting and sign post races are bloody hard

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Transformed was very hard in later levels such as unlocking the Afterburner plane. My friend Tuna bought Sonic Team and he said it’s censored hot.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"