Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ALK » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:10 pm

There was an extra reveal on the Japanese Direct, Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 are coming to Switch on the 21st. Japanese eShop only, but what's interesting is they will include an English language option.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... in_english

Oh, and Nintendo will be revealing......some kind of ring add on thingy very soon.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... _all_about
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:35 am

Anyone going to buy the SNES controller? Think I will. I have the nes 8bitdo but it's a bit hit and miss, and the R button is broke since I dropped it. Gonna try and fix it, and it still works ok for the nes online.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:57 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:35 am
Anyone going to buy the SNES controller? Think I will. I have the nes 8bitdo but it's a bit hit and miss, and the R button is broke since I dropped it. Gonna try and fix it, and it still works ok for the nes online.
At first I thought i would, but I'm now leaning against it.

It's £34 including postage, and I don't know how much I'll actually play the Snes games, and if I stop the online, what would i dowith it. I don't know how good it would be for modern games, it does have LZ and RZ buttons but they look very small and a bit impractical, more of a token addition. Plus I can't remember how comfortable a SNES controller is compared to modern controllers. And I already have 6 Swtich controllers in addition to the Joycons, so I'm fiding it a bit hard to justify personally.

The only strong benefit I can see besides the nostalgia and novelty is a solid d-pad. I think if i could permanently own the SNES games then I'd be more likely to buy one. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Trying to get into Risk of Rain 2. I loved the first one, not feeling this one but I feel like it might be entirely down to the joycons. They are so unsuitable for 3PS/FPS games.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:12 am

So far as SNES controllers go, it's possible to use the SNES Classic ones with the aid of a Wiimote and an 8Bitdo dongle.

I can't see the SNES Classic getting much use now, at any rate, although Nintendo will probably keep at least one game exclusive to it because they're like that.

Personally, I think the Classic Controller works fine and you'd probably just use the Joycons on the hop anyway.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am

Good points. I have more than enough controllers!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:39 am

As I had loads of spare original SNES controllers, I got the below from 8BitDo, it works brilliantly, I use it for the Street Fighter 2 collections but I am looking forward to using it with the SNES games online.

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-ki ... controller

I also have the kits for the Megadrive and NES ones from 8BitDo too, they are all great.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Anybody played Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch?

I'll be getting DQ XI and I'm really not short of JRPGs as it is, but it does look good and I fear it could be the sort of game that could be expensive to get hold of later, so I'm on the fence about picking this up, anybody care to push me one way or the other?

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Well, not only did I pre-order Ni No Kuni, but also AI: The Somnium Files.

I've been aware of AI and wasn't sure about it, but I enjoyed 9-9-9 on the DS and the early reviews are promising, so I took the plunge since it may be hard to pick up later. Not a cheap month but I likely won't be buying another game until Luigi's Mansion 3 at the end of October anyway.

I really couldn't be much happier with the Switch at the moment. I think by the time it's had its run it can make a strong argument for the greatest system ever.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:48 pm

This next couple of weeks is looking nice for Switch releases for me - Zelda LA is this week (love the GB versions so this is a no brainer) and Ori & Blind Forest soon after, so unless that's a bad port (not likely) I'll grab that as well.

While I wait, I have the Mana collection to keep me company which seems to be pretty darn fun so far.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Grid Autosport is finally arriving to give us a quality 'real' racing game instead of all the cheap mobile ports so far. That said, Asphalt 9 might still be worth a look to have it with real controls if the price is right.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm

I loved Nuni Kuni 2, but the first one I bailed on a quarter of the way through. I just couldn't get the hang of the turn based fighting system and the way you can swap out helpers along the way. No matter how I tried, i just couldn't get it. I almost bailed on the first boss. Then figured out you had to level up. I bailed on the second boss.

The 2nd nuni game is a lot easier and the fight mechanics are easier and realtime. They're both beautiful games, although the sidekicks welsh accent will annoy the heck out of you. Think Rhod Gilbert shouting at you all the time.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Interesting, I had heard the sequel was generally regarded as being inferior and a disappointment. I'll post my view on the game, sometime, whenever I get around to it, next year probably. :lol:

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Along with DQ11, Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 are coming to the eShop this Friday.

I know nothing of DQ but £4 for the first game sounds like a safe shot.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:50 am

The Switch is getting two Mario Kart themed racing wheels in November, made by Hori, a standard and a deluxe model. So far only announced for Japan.