Green Beret (MSX version)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Wimpie3

Green Beret (MSX version)

Post by Wimpie3 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am

Retro Gamer 44 featured an interview with David Collier from Ocean/Imagine on the different conversions of Konami's Green Beret.

At one point, he states the following: "The MSX version was badly received - it was not developed in-house at Ocean, it went past the deadline and Konami Japan was very dissapointed with the outcome." (Konami cancelled the MSX release of Jail Break shortly afterwards).

I know the graphics from Stuart Ruecroft were used, a guy known for his design work on the CPC and Spectrum. The title screen mentions that "N.FORD" and "P.GREEN" were involved in creating the MSX version, but I'm unable to find more info on them. Am I right thinking it was Peter Green, the guy behind the UK MSX User magazine? And is the second guy Nic Ford? And why did Ocean offer the job to those guys?

merman

Re: Green Beret (MSX version)

Post by merman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:06 am

Interesting question, I did that piece - and never had the chance to delve further into the story behind the MSX release.

This was in a period where Ocean were expanding but still had a relatively small in-house team. And I don't believe they had any MSX "experts" on staff, so would have has to contract out the MSX versions.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Wimpie3

Post by Wimpie3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:38 am

It would be ultra cool if you could reconstruct what went wrong there, since no one seems to know. It's one of the biggest mysteries in the MSX universe. Konami always developed their MSX titles in-house. Jail Break and Green Beret were the only exceptions. Why did Konami trust a UK company famous for their Spectrum conversions, knowing their own development standards were much higher? Why were two unknown guys involved in the MSX conversion? Why did Konami add Green Beret to their catalogue, but refused to do the same to Jail Break?

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:31 am

Konami U.K. (Europe) dealt with the msx version. They also developed a few conversions like Nemesis for other systems. They developed and released that game. All other Konami msx games were developed by Konami Japan. Konami Japan decided Green Beret was not up to standard and stopped further developments but released it anyway