NHL retrospective?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

greenberet79

NHL retrospective?

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 am

How about a feature for my favourite videogames sports franchise? Goes right back to the early 90s, peaks early with NHL 94 as possibly the greatest sports games of all time. Patchy around the 32 bit era but has gone from strength to strength since, including the 94 anniversary game in 2014.

FWIW my favourite entry is NHL 07 on the PSP - perfect game for a handheld. Why it's never been out on the Vita or Switch is a mystery to me. I guess it's an EA issue.

Unless you've already done one and I missed it!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Re: NHL retrospective?

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Greatest has to be the Madden series. Way more popular than hockey ! Need a madden one first. To be fair any article on these would be boring for many as many versions of the game were very similar apart from new rosters

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm

or do BOTH
:lol:

so would be for this too, except just end it at NHLPA94, no other one after that deserves a paragraph!

NHLPA93 is still better

you heard me
:twisted:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 am

We used to love the NHL and Madden on the Megadrive, had some great head to head battles. PGA was a fun chill out rainy Sunday afternoon one... I think a good feature on EA sports perhaps, unless it has been done and I've missed it or forgotten. I'm sure I've seen bits n pieces throughout MD features of course, but not a full dedicated feature

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:58 am

NHLPA 93 was too slow for me. Plus it didn't have the proper licensing although that didn't really matter much to me since I didn't know the real ones anyway.

Always found Madden quite boring - sorry! All those hail Mary's and what not.

But yeah some kind of EA sports retro feature sounds awesome!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am

actually played madden before it was released, in a wee shop in paisley, that isn't there anymore

as soon as i saw EA HOCKEY in mean machines issue 11, that was IT the ice hockey game that i was waiting for! and used this very game for my simming competitions for the next QUARTER OF A CENTURY! i might have mentioned that before :?

FIFA SOCCER was also good too, i actually made a pros and cons list, more cons and improvements though but it was a good start

PGA GOLF is another fantastic little game, last golf game i played was WORLD CLASS LEADERBOARD!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am

I have pitched a Retro Sports Network feature in the past, each one looking at a particular real-life sport and some of the best (and worst) games in that genre.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:46 am

Cool!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:45 am

merman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am
I have pitched a Retro Sports Network feature in the past, each one looking at a particular real-life sport and some of the best (and worst) games in that genre.
Now that's a great idea.

"Retro Gamer Sports Network".
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm

mr jenzie wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am
actually played madden before it was released, in a wee shop in paisley, that isn't there anymore

as soon as i saw EA HOCKEY in mean machines issue 11, that was IT the ice hockey game that i was waiting for! and used this very game for my simming competitions for the next QUARTER OF A CENTURY! i might have mentioned that before :?

FIFA SOCCER was also good too, i actually made a pros and cons list, more cons and improvements though but it was a good start

PGA GOLF is another fantastic little game, last golf game i played was WORLD CLASS LEADERBOARD!
“Computer Genius” store near the high street? I first seen an import of Mega Drive Shinobi there.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Eric wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm
mr jenzie wrote:

“Computer Genius” store near the high street? I first seen an import of Mega Drive Shinobi there.
on New Street, possibly where Florette is now, next to The Bull Inn which of course i never went too .....
even saw a Mega CD too
what a cracking little shop it was 8)

yes a whole EA SPORTS retrospective/complaining about how FIFA soccer would be better ..... would be nice :mrgreen:

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:14 pm

I rememberplaying NHL on the Mega Drive back in the day and found you could trigger fights every single time either side scored by simply shoulder-charging someone from the other team. Good fun...
Where logic won't work, I will

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:18 pm

mr jenzie wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 pm
Eric wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm
mr jenzie wrote:

on New Street, possibly where Florette is now, next to The Bull Inn which of course i never went too .....
even saw a Mega CD too
what a cracking little shop it was 8)

yes a whole EA SPORTS retrospective/complaining about how FIFA soccer would be better ..... would be nice :mrgreen:
About 1 Minute in there is video of “Game Head” store from 1996 - check out the shelfs.
https://youtu.be/wAOKd-EpLiY